Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Beast Form Advice Page

Hello fellow PG players, this is Nrdr123. I am in game usually as a Cow, but I have played all the animal forms, so if you have a question about being a specific animal or would like to know about how being an animal in game is, heck even if you want to chat about animals, I feel like this page is just right. I am always available to help players out, whether in game or on the forum page.

I do specialize in Cow, Lycan, and Pig more so than I do Deer, Bat, and Spider, so If you are uniquely knowledgable about those subjects and there is an individual on this page that may need help in that specific skill set, I ask that you help that player out and commit your knowledge to this forum page.

If you have any questions, or if I can make what I say clearer and more precise, feel free to send a message.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey nrdr123,

I am the guy who was rude enough to put you 'on the spot' in global chat about a week ago. Again sorry about that. I mainly wanted to get away from a discussion at the time about RL politics.
    But I would really appreciate a source with some general background information on playing in an animal form.

Some of the questions that came to my mind are:

A. could you give a 'high over' comparison of the differences in game-play-style between the different animal types
    ( I may be wrong but I think I heard:
    Cow is tanky
    Pig is very good in bard-like group support
    Spider is dps ???
    werewolf is dps, with the side note of having very nice increases in dps when fighting in packs of multiple wolves)

B. could you go into some of the advantages of playing ' as an animal'
    (of course: what other game will even let you do that !!)

C. could you go into some of the disadvantages of playing 'as an animal'
    (beastspeak in chat can mess up your sentences
    many NPC vendors will not talk to you
    requirement regarding food ? (Cow want to be vegetarians ?)
    Storage ?
    not being allowed in certain area's
    having to find other NPC's (e.g. Animal town)

D. Could you give a small history about how animal forms came to exist
    (I recall from a Massive OP podcast, that it was at first 'a fluke' by the DEv's
    Citan / Eric originally only intended the Animal forms to be a very temporary curse. Intended only as ' punishment' and to be cured ASAP.
    He / they were surprised to find that certain players wanted to continue playing in that animal form. And subsequently the different animal forms
    were further developed.

E. Could you give some general tips or advice ?

Many thanks and Kind regards

Jacky

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A) you are right about cow adn pig. rest of animal forms are mostly dps:
    - deer are tankier tahn other, you could call them brusiers, or off-tanks
    -spiders are more assasin type, lots of poision and setign up things to gibe high burts
    - bats from waht i kwno are more sustained dmg
    - wolve sare middle ground - you can build for burst dmg, sort off "assasin", or for sustained dmg.

B) Cows are tanky and have ability to produce milk on they own (but have to stay vegetarina for bette rones)
    - deers are faster (have "passive" movement speed bonus, better jump control (which is not soemthign very importnat...) and i think they got soem movement speed bonuses with levels (not 100% sure tough)
    - Spiders... well theyc na use illosion to apper as human... or elf, cnat rember(you need moonstone to use it)
    - pigs... im not sure.
    - bats can fly (i think its best profit form all animals atm)
    - wolves can switch between wolf and human form (almost) at will - ecept for full moon.

C)-Some of human/elf npcs in wont talk to animals. Hoever i think every npc in sun vale, Ilmari Rahua and GAzluk will tlak to animals.
    -You cant gather wood, or use any items in hand - so no playing music either
    -For the same reason you have limited number of combat skills you can pick - only the ones that dotn need weapons will work with animal form (except of unarmed that can be used fully)
    Adn i think its pretty much this.

D) no idea, they are all (ecept of bat) was alredy implemented

E)
    -When just starting animal say somethign in nearby chat every 5 min or so. That way you will get exp in your Beast speach, and wnt bother people in global
    - 3-sylabe word powers inclued ones that will grant you illusion, making you look like elf for 2 min. can be helpfull when talkign to npcs
    - You definitly should start working on favor in Animal town asap, especialy if you are full time animal (eg - not wolf)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A.
    Cow and Deer are both built as Tanks, Cow as more of your traditional tank archetype, while Deer is in my opinion considered an Off-Tank. With Cow your Tankiness/Tank-like Abilities come inherently from your skills. While with Deer, your tank-like abilities come from having the right mods on your gear.

Spiders would be similar to your dps/assassin types most of their skill is set on using Infinite Legs, or Poison abilities to quickly kill the enemy. The same can be said about Wolves and Bats, their both known for their damage and their ability to keep the pressure on.

Pigs are your support build, they can solo decently, but they are better of in groups, as a healer or a buff build with use of Mudbath, Frenzy, Porcine Alertness.

B.
    With Cows your advantages are you are a tank, so you have high survivability. Cows also have a nice sprint skill called Moo of Determination, and they have the ability to produce their own milk, which helps in crafting skills such as Cheesemaking, or Cooking. If you are a vegetarian Cow you have the ability to produce milk every 3 or 4 minutes, while if your a non-vegetarian you can only produce it every 5 minutes. Players can also milk other Player Cows every 15 minutes. Both are considerably better than waiting an hour to milk a specific cow.

Deers have the ability to jump faster/higher, they also have AoE Taunts, while Cow only has single target taunts. They have the ability also to summon another Deer Pet to help out in battle.

Spiders have the ability to use Insidious Illusion to talk to Animal Hating NPCs, it uses up a Moonstone. They also have the ability at lvl 50 to produce their own Spiderweb, which does help with crafting such as Tailoring, especially if they want to make their own Spider Carapace Armor.

Pigs have two sidebar abilities Terror Dash, which gives them a sprint bonus, and Truffle Sniff which allows them to sniff for mushrooms, I believe the higher the Truffle Sniff the higher lvl Mushroom you are likely to get, or the higher the chances you are of getting a mushroom.

Bats have the ability of Echolocation which allows them to see in the dark, such as dungeons (especially helpful with Claudia), and they do have the ability to Fly, they also have the ability to turn players into Bats, so be careful when facing them in PvP.

Wolves have the ability to switch in and out of wolf form(except during Full Moon, when they are stuck for 3 days), they also have specific Wolf-Altar/Wolf benefits, the altar can unlock higher lvl abilities, has the option of being a storage space, and by completing quests for the Altar you can get bonuses like Extra Armor, Power, Health, Damage Mitigation, Bonus Attack %, or a Sprint Speed bonus.

C.
    The disadvantages of being an animal are besides Beastspeak, is that certain NPCs will not speak to you while you are an animal. Especially the ones in Serbule. But to counter that there are Animal NPCs in Animal Town which is in Sun Vale, who will speak to you, but only after you have been an Animal for 3 in game hours.

Another disadvantage is your inability to use skills that require hands, such as Sword, Fire/Ice Magic, Shield, and your inability to cut/gather wood, since skills that require the use of Hands do not work, since animals do not have hands (or thumbs).

D.
    I do not know alot about how animal forms came to exist, I do know that originally that Maronessa was on Original Tutorial Island and was the boss there. And every single new player just had to ignore the boss warnings and become a cow, so Tutorial Island was usually filled with Cow players. Now of course Maronessa got moves to the Crystal Cave Dungeon in Serbule.

Bats came from a Halloween Event 2 years ago if I recall correctly. Players were turned into Bats, or allowed to turn into Bats, and then they had the ability to transmit their Batness to other players via PvP.

E.
    For general advice, I would avoid playing as an animal unless absolutely certain, and after you have explored zones such as Serbule and Etilbule as a human, and gotten at least some storage space, NPC favors done, and gotten used to the general feel of the game. Because starting off as an Animal can be hard or trying for a new player.

I hope I was able to answer your questions, in an understandable manner. If you or anyone else has any questions that I can answer via about Beast Forms or about other skills, feel free to message or post, and I will respond as soon as I can.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many Thanks to both of you Croocy and Nrdr !

I will try to work out an Intro to Beast Form 101 page on the Wiki tomorrow.

/Salute to your extensive answers

Kind regards
    Jacky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackybah View Post
    I will try to work out an Intro to Beast Form 101 page on the Wiki tomorrow.
    Might be worth adding a guide to Human Form as well. I mean, many people play animals in RL pretty well. So a guide how to be a proper human might help some players even more. Just a thought. (Sorry, couldn't resist )

Good wiki page btw. I came to find out if I can play as a wolf (not a werewolf) by a choice but already found the answer there. I think I would miss the craft, and the "permanent" scares me a little. Sooo, how is the life of wolf in PG? Meaning is it viable? Or just short time fun but nothing to live with for an eternity as an explorer and crafter (I really like wolves in games. Not many games to play as quadrupeds tho.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I play as all animal forms, I know probably not a good idea to be both a Druid and Lycan, but hey more animals for me. So as a Lycan the "permanent" bit is more 3 days a month during the full moon when you are forced into being in Wolf form for the 3 days of the full moon. When in wolf form you usually have to kill something before you can revert to being a humanoid again, but this is only till like lvl 50/60, by then you can change in an out at will. I don't think Wolves bring anything too much to the table in terms of crafting, but the skill set and mods are great, so Lycans are good in combat, and if you take the Wolfen Speed boosts from the Wolf Altar/from potions you can get a bit of help when running around and doing stuff like surveying or foraging.

Hope this helped, if you have any more questions let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as crafting is concerned, wolves don't bring anything special to the table. They have the basic animal limitations with gathering wood and the inability to play music for your crops, and their only real advantage is that they can easily bypass them by transforming into a human(Except of course during the full moon, but you'll be too busy with wolf quests to have time for crafting then). They do have a few lycanthrope specific alchemy recipes, but they're rare and not particularly useful.
    The real reason you become a werewolf is because it's a fun combat skill. It's got high damage, decent survivability, and quite a few cool spells to play with, and since a lot of your training comes from the Altar of Norala, it's a lot cheaper than the likes of mentalism or fire magic(Sanja's still going to be eating a lot of your money though).

I highly suggest making an alt and trying out lycan for a bit before committing to it on your main. It's a lot of trouble to go through, but it's much less of a hassle than becoming a wolf on your main, finding out you hate the skill and then basically being unable to play for three days every month. You should really only become a wolf if you want it as your main skill. It doesn't have to be your only skill, especially since you can shapeshift in combat, but you'll want to keep it maxed so you can still fight stuff during the full moon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoxard View Post
    As far as crafting is concerned, wolves don't bring anything special to the table.
    Well despite PG's lack of logic since it lives in the fantasy realm, there is a degree of realism. None of the animal forms can make anything bar Cow & Spider.

...They do have a few lycanthrope specific alchemy recipes, but they're rare and not particularly useful.
    The lyco recipes are actually quite useful, on the contrary. Movement speed and damage buffs? They may not be Tesco brand, but "every little helps!"

The real reason you become a werewolf is because it's a fun combat skill. It's got high damage, decent survivability, and quite a few cool spells to play with, and since a lot of your training comes from the Altar of Norala, it's a lot cheaper than the likes of mentalism or fire magic(Sanja's still going to be eating a lot of your money though).
    Pretty much yes, its quite a good combat skill. Asides from that... you GET TO BE A WOLF. Another key point would be that combined with survival instincts and mods your AoE can become quite formidable. Not top tier but again - "every little helps!"

I highly suggest making an alt and trying out lycan for a bit before committing to it on your main. It's a lot of trouble to go through, but it's much less of a hassle than becoming a wolf on your main, finding out you hate the skill and then basically being unable to play for three days every month. You should really only become a wolf if you want it as your main skill. It doesn't have to be your only skill, especially since you can shapeshift in combat, but you'll want to keep it maxed so you can still fight stuff during the full moon.
    You can make it on an alt, but a case for using a main with lyco is if you want to be forced to work on something else. I have alts for surveying and foraging, rather than using them to stockpile materials from my main I do it for my main. I am a wolf player, I don't advertise it's what everyone should do as it can be a pain in the ass for some people. It is a shame too as the wolf skill is what it is - having more wolf users around is beneficial, better stacked howl buffs and more wolves for parties (packs) to run dungeons together.

This is true though, for the hesitant player, trying it on an alt is best. It honestly isn't that much hassle to get though, few hours at most maybe, perhaps less if you focus on it entirely. That being said, I don't advise ANY animal skill as worth getting if you are completely new to the game. Animals have different NPC interaction mechanics that you should become aware of first before making the switch. (You should also at least know where animal town is...)

And just to comment... while you CAN shift back to human form in combat - you can't change combat skills IN combat. So being human, you'll lose access to your wolf skills and have one skill bar at your disposal. This is absolutely pointless so I don't even know why it'd be suggested.

I think you may have meant.. You don't HAVE to be a wolf. You can shift (OUT of combat) and use skills besides wolf. You don't even have to do that, its not a necessity to use wolf skills, you can use a combination of the other combat skills available to a wolf while staying in wolf form.
    (Necromancy, Unarmed, Mentalism, Psychology & Animal Handling - as well as the aforementioned Lycanthropy)

Or you could shift to human form and use whatever you feel like!
    - When you wanted a lot of Gene Wilder gifs, (Wonka.. obvs), but instead have to attend a funeral for the signature section. Rest in RIP, RIP in Piece o'ever-lasting cake. -

(Pssst . . . https://media.giphy.com/media/5ZYlp0bF7qMBa/giphy.gif . . . You're welcome . . .)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you change into wolf form, it automatically sets your top bar to lycanthropy, and when you change back it sets it to whatever you had before.
    This means you can have a human only skill on your top bar, and shapeshift to human during a fight to access it. I use druid for the healing. I rarely need it, but it's nice to have it there.
    Also worth noting, winter wolf and regular wolf have separate cooldowns, so you can use them both to shift back and forth from wolf quicker than you could with just one.

Thread Footer