Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I'm a little late to the party, but I've had some issues with Staff. Mind you, I'm only around level 40 in Staff, so I imagine some of my gripes will be managed by gear/skill levels later on.

For right now, I'm trying to come up with a "Tank" build. Combining Staff's extra aggro, damage reduction, and mitigation to keep things from beating up on my wife (who plays as a healer).

I've been playing with Shield for the last couple of weeks and it seems to work 'okay.' It doesn't wow me, doesn't really do much to keep things from wanting to go after my wife (the aggro from 'Fight Me You Fools' seems lackluster), but it works pretty well against bosses. Basically, I was just wondering if there was a different skill that I might be able to pair with Staff that might function well as a good defensive tank build with good aggro management.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeziel View Post
    I know I'm a little late to the party, but I've had some issues with Staff. Mind you, I'm only around level 40 in Staff, so I imagine some of my gripes will be managed by gear/skill levels later on.

For right now, I'm trying to come up with a "Tank" build. Combining Staff's extra aggro, damage reduction, and mitigation to keep things from beating up on my wife (who plays as a healer).

I've been playing with Shield for the last couple of weeks and it seems to work 'okay.' It doesn't wow me, doesn't really do much to keep things from wanting to go after my wife (the aggro from 'Fight Me You Fools' seems lackluster), but it works pretty well against bosses. Basically, I was just wondering if there was a different skill that I might be able to pair with Staff that might function well as a good defensive tank build with good aggro management.
    I would image Psychology might do the trick. You get at least 2 Aggro inducers with Mock and Ridicule, and then you could use Pep Talk and Positive Attitude to keep your Health up. And But I Love You reduces the damage the mob deals which is nice.

Ice Magic is preferred by me, it has got Crowd Control and Extra Defense options, but doesn't have much in the way of extra aggro features.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShieldBreaker View Post
    I would image Psychology might do the trick. You get at least 2 Aggro inducers with Mock and Ridicule, and then you could use Pep Talk and Positive Attitude to keep your Health up. And But I Love You reduces the damage the mob deals which is nice.

Ice Magic is preferred by me, it has got Crowd Control and Extra Defense options, but doesn't have much in the way of extra aggro features.
    I was thinking Psychology would be my best bet, with the two taunts and the added benefit of not requiring any specific weapon. (Also jives well with me being stuck in woof form every month.) Health isn't usually an issue, unless we somehow aggro way more than we can handle.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use staff with fire, aggro has some issues in PG atm and burning things is usually the sure way to piss off any mob. The downside-it also fills their rage meter super fast so you trigger rage attacks. It still is the best way to keep wife from being hurt:P
    I did staff+psych a while ago, pretty steady combo but a bit lackluster in the way of damage.

PS-kinda unrelated to aggro but related to survival-look into a skill called hoplology, I find it very useful for staff users.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Psychology for tanking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crissa, can you speak more about how Psychology is good for tanking? It seems like a good skill, but I've never considered it much of a tanking skill.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Psychology has the most ways to mess with aggro, I think. Mock is most obvious, as being basically just a straight aggro-generator. But there's also Fast-Talk, which reduces aggro; Soothe that saps Rage; Psychoanalyze which makes Rage generate more slowly.

There's also juggling skills like Tell Me About Your Mother and Cause Terror interrupt attacking.

Ridicule also generates aggro and But I Love You and You Were Adopted reduce incoming damage.

So it's just really useful to grabbing and maintaining aggro. It has three heals, too.

I vary my loadout for Psychology the most based upon what I'm doing; if I'm in a group as a tank, I add Ridicule; if I'm not skip the aggro generation and stack the soothes. If I'm dungeoning I don't tend to use Cause Terror or Tell Me About Your Mother but when I'm gathering they're always in my rotation.

(My combat is either Unarmed or Animal, which varies only by gear and infrequently the combos I'm getting)

PS, I generally only use one Basic Attack, and that's Mock.

PPS, I am not above level 50 in anything, so what I say with my experience is... Not current top-tier. Things are always changing. For instance, I had a great set of 20+ cow tanking gear, and now I don't ^-^;
    Last edited by Crissa; 10-06-2017 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did a couple of trial runs last night, with me using Staff/Shield and Staff/Psych, with Staff, Shield, and Psych all at level 40. Although, I haven't had a chance to get to the Wolf Dungeon for Hoplology. It's honestly a bit of a toss-up for me.

When I'm running Psych, the spammable taunts are very nice, but the lack of a consistent stun, knock-backs, and mitigation require that I use the heals that come with the kit, which keeps me power hungry and unable to really do anything in a prolonged fight. On the other hand, not having the heals nor the ability to pull/taunt/DPS at range puts more stress on my wife's Power bar. Since we mostly just duo dungeons, we're trying to balance around each other.

I'm loathe to use a DPS skill as my secondary, just because I dislike playing a hybrid. So it's a toss-up between Shield and Psych. I'm more leaning towards the former, but I'll continue to try both out. Thanks y'all.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unarmed is filled with stuns, which is why I went with it. Given the right gear and combos, you can really stun-juggle. You give up your major damage doing that, though. Cow has two stuns and a throw, and Unarmed has two stuns and two throws. You could even use these concurrently. But it has trouble holding aggro, and Unarmed has no heals so it solos poorly unless you can overwhelm.

There is nothing Hybrid about it: Every skill comes with more actions than you can take into combat, so you have to select the set you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to run a Staff/Mentalism build that was AoE/support, which with the mods at the time was very difficult to kill, but was horrendous for damage. I haven't gone back to that combo for ages, but I found it an okay soloing and support combo. Maybe I should get some hands again and polish off the ol' staff to see if spinning still leads to winning :P

Thread Footer