Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Thread: Music System
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Music System

I am making this suggestion after getting a lot of positive feedback in Global Chat. I think it would be great to see players able to connect something like Maestro or a similar program and play songs of their choosing. Lotro has this system and it is VERY popular in game as it allows players to play just about any song converted to medieval instruments. It also allows players to sync and play the same song with varying instruments like a band and even put on concerts in game.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich469 View Post
    I am making this suggestion after getting a lot of positive feedback in Global Chat. I think it would be great to see players able to connect something like Maestro or a similar program and play songs of their choosing. Lotro has this system and it is VERY popular in game as it allows players to play just about any song converted to medieval instruments. It also allows players to sync and play the same song with varying instruments like a band and even put on concerts in game.
    Yes, I'd really like that. I very much like the current in-game music overall but I always play with the player instruments off since they get very repetitive.

It's been several years since I played LotRO and longer since their music system worked for me, but I enjoyed it a lot. My only concern is that the town areas in LotRo were a bit more spread out - I wonder if in PG, we might end up with multiple competing concerts in the same listening area...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was one of those recommending to post this here on the forums, I would really enjoy seeing something like this implemented. I know that Maestro was the system you suggested and I think the other that was mentioned in #global was was MML used with Mabinogi.

Shroud of the Avatar is a current game that I believe shares the Unity engine like Project: Gorgon. It looks like SotA supports MML & ABC files.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    This has come up before, and the answer is still basically the same: probably not happening until post-launch. There's no open-source library for any of this; AFAIK every company that's produced this feature has independently implemented it. It's definitely possible to add, and it's something I'd expect will get added eventually, but engineering resources are allocated for other things (like housing, new skill mechanics, etc.) for a long, long time. The thing is, it's a big chunk of programming time with only one cool feature as a result, whereas the engineering time for something like instanced housing may result in tons of other new features and tricks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely understand that, wouldn’t want this to turn into a music simulator at the cost of other critical mechanics. Music has just personally been one my favorite social aspects of games that got it right.

I spoke briefly via email with Eniko, who built and later adapted a TextPlayer Framework for use with SotA which was made available for free with an MIT license here: https://github.com/Enichan/textplayer

I’m not really sure what this would entail from a technical standpoint and realize that it could still result in a lot of work to integrate with or modify existing PG systems to work with it but thought I would throw it out there.

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    That's interesting, thanks! I don't think I've seen that before. Only one part of the puzzle, but that might help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Abc notation is used in lotro and in other games like starbound to good effect. This might just be me talking out my ass, but I believe the music community of LOTRO is what kept that gaming community so strong. So it's something to think about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I hate ArcheAge, the music making system and 3rd party websites dedicated to hosting music sheets that could be copied and pasted into the game were pretty awesome.

It was so cool walking through town and hearing so many nostalgic pieces.

I look forward to seeing in this game eventually.

Thread Footer