So, time and time again I revisit PG and find I don't have anything in particular to do; I realise there's a lot of options out there, but I guess after an interlude the connections I once had with a particular character, what its goals and my intentions were, are gone.

With orcs and fae in the works, I wonder, will people actually play these characters as alts? Or will people stick with their current mains, or perhaps make new mains and forsake their old character, as I have done in the past?

As it stands - you can do everything on one character - even the permanent decisions are not mutually exclusive. I realise I can revisit old content with a new skillset on the same character - but it's not the same as actually playing a new character. I have all these.. perks (increased power, regeneration, a slew of helpful abilities, as well as all the non-grind content already completed) - I can't recapture the experience in a meaningful way.

And that's a bit of ashame, too - especially given how much variety has been given to the newbie experience (South Serbule, and the island, for example).

I realise that some people simply enjoy playing one character - and they'd like to do everything they can on that character; that's perfectly fine. I have no intention of hindering them for the sake of alts being meaningful - but to that end, what can be done to make creating alts meaningful in a way that doesn't hinder players that wish to stick to one character?

I had a couple ideas in the past - some kind of league system - on a 3 month rotation or some such - where characters created in this league are subject to special rules (I.e. true hardcore, excluding death by falling through the map, or characters created in this league spawn as random animals and can never remove that form.) Naturally I've considered the logistics, and this could be purely community driven if enough players were up for the challenge.

The second involved some kind of "quirk" system - when you create a character, you can pick a set of options that hinders that character in some way to provide a benefit of some sort. (Not a good example - but i.e. your character deals 25% less damage, but gains NPC favour 100% faster).

Anyway, I don't intend to provoke discussion on the pros and cons of permanency, or in any way denying others certain skills in favour of making alts more purposeful. I'd like to think there's ways we can have the best of both worlds.

What do you guys think?