Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Any reason to have alts?

In some games your character is limited in how much they can do (either by on the class chosen or a limit on how many or how much you can develop their skills), so you have to create a new character in order to try some other things. This currently doesn't seem to be the case in Project: Gorgon and one character can learn and master everything. So is there any reason to have multiple characters other than as mules or for RP purposes?

For example, I could play a sword-and-board character for a while, but if I decided to play a mage-type character, I'm actually encouraged not to roll a new character for that because:

1. How long it takes to gain access to certain skills, either because of needing to raise favor or skills to certain levels first or because the trainers are in dangerous places that weaker characters may not be able to get to.

2. There are a lot of skills that are a pain to raise that some people only raise because of the bonuses they get from reaching certain levels in that skill, not because they actually want to use that skill. If you roll up a new character you'll have to raise all of those skills again.

3. An established character already has a great many things that only they can take advantage of, such as high-favor NPCs (and all that that includes) and higher skills that offer benefits regardless of what abilities you have equipped (such as all the great perks that come with higher endurance).

It's just infinitely more practical to just use the same character for everything since you're able to. Is this ever going to change? Will there ever be a reason to have alts other than as mules, for RP stuff, or to try out permanent things (like druid or lycanthropy) to determine if they're something you want for your main character?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree on a lot of that and expect we'll see a lot of people with one character. Some reasons for alts:

-Mules, which i don't think really counts, just a way to store more stuff.
    -A crafting character that you pass resources too and they do all your gardening/tailoring/leatherwork and your main character saves on inventory space, and can be in one place while the poor alt sits in the Garden in Serb all day.
    -A second character to be a druid or witch because your main is a lycan.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Citan has tried to straddle this question.

On one hand, a character can try nearly all skills.

On the other, some of the RP choices - like Druid, Werewolf, Animal - are to a certain point immiscible and non-removeable. Right now there's no penalty to switching to and fro in Animal forms but the NPCs sort of enforce it by having parallel and not quite equal tracks.

Aside from those RP things, the idea is that playstyles won't require alts. I think.

-Crissa

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same reason people watch movies or TV shows that they've already seen. You may want to re-run some of the quests that you enjoyed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think you have answered your own question very well.

Most long term players use them for storage mainly , it's also handy to have one in town so folks can pass stuff to you while you main is not around.

There are a few reasons that some can use to get an advantage that frankly are not ideal, extra vendor caps, work order hand ins and guild point accumulation would be some.

As others have mentioned a few play with a normal and a wolf character, most seem to take druid anyways as the flight is hard to live without once you've seen others with it.

There is often a little confusion, wolf and druid are permanent choices but you can be both, I am, as far as I know anything else added will be the same.
    There not either or, there just once taken there is no going back.
    You can not use druid and wolf skills at the same time though and that's what confuses the newer folk I think..

Those that could manage a duel game boot would often be able to have an alt from a different account at various places to hand off materials too etc.
    Pretty sure steam has almost killed dual booting, for those that can do it, it's best not done in serb town anyways as fps is even worse running 2 instances.
    This can still be done with a normal alt but you will need to place items on the ground, with longer load times that's getting less viable and far more risky, anything on ground is fair game for others really.
    Last edited by Celler; 04-07-2018 at 03:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do folks think there should be more reasons to have multiple characters? Maybe stuff like becoming a druid where it impacts a character more than just learning a skill? Mutually exclusive skills (like if you become a vampire you can't become a priest or something)?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I want to be able to do everything on one character, there are just too many things I don't want to lvl again.

Also things are so integrated into each other that your not going to want to be missing bonus points.

Completely understand your point, it's weird having 2 things that naturally conflict, but I don't play for realism I play for play style options.

I know druid and wolf are permanent and have enjoyed both , but to suddenly learn that you can't do something because of a choice you made long ago without for knowledge of ramifications would suck a little.

That said if as your example states you were given an option knowing before hand that's not so bad.

I'm not sure what folks invest into characters in other games but here we have players over a 1000 hrs in some cases much more. Not sure many of them would wan't to start again so they could have 1 thing there other is missing.

Currently it's only minor but there are differences because you choose a race and gender there minor differences but there there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I intend to have 4 characters on one account. one main that I play often and a second character just for the werewolf class. The other 2 characters will just be mules.

I might also invest in a 2nd account if I get really into this and create primary crafting character on it (and 3 more mules) that I will hand over everything I get to and that character would master all crafting skills while I am off adventuring again with my main or my secondary character.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 3 mules right now, which is 1 or 2 too many. I really want an alt character that I can play if for some reason, my main is busy with a hangout, or parked somewhere not near a town, or whatever. Not to mention I am NOT going to level a lot of combat abilities on my main. Since the entire point of my current main is to become self sufficient and the primary crafter, I want another toon for misc play and testing of combat classes. (Necro being one of those). Dark necro Elf, whoo!

So once my main has storage set up with every storage NPC in the game, I can free up one of my character slots and roll a new character.
    PG IGN: BlueIndigo
    Steam: IndigoShade

Thread Footer