Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Some general questions - Skills, Armor, Etc.

So I've been playing DG about a week now. It was a bit of a rocky start (one toon got stuck in Rahu). Pretty much all I have been doing was working on NPC Favors, mostly related to either Storage or Skill access. And that’s where most of my councils have gone as well. At this point, I am getting a little frustrated and could use some general advice on a few topics. Sorry for the wall of text!

Skills
    I working on 4 skills (Unarmed, Sword, Fire, Archery). They are all about level 12 or 13. I'd like to get those 4 up to twenty, at which point I will pick two that seem the most fun to combo with.

I want to build a sustainable solo build, that with a little modification, could be used for group play as well. Mostly though, I'm a solo player and prefer ranged battles rather than melee.

Q1: Maybe there is a better set of combos better suited to my play style?

Armor
    Very frustrated by the Armor drops/selection. Not seeing decent drops for my current skills at all. They all want level 10 or 15 skills that I don't have. I've viewed the "used" selection at the Weapon vendors stall and having the same issues. Right now my armor is so sucky that dealing with mobs with more then 90 health is hard.

Q1: How do the loot tables determine what drops, anyways?
    Q2: Is it based on the active skill, or what?

Councils - Need Better Supply for RIGHT NOW
    I viewed the player work order board, and it's not newbie friendly at all. Based on how often I pick up something now, even the easy ones would take me weeks to fill. I've just started surveying but am guessing it's going to be at least a couple of weeks before it pays off. Got about 1k Councils and training to do.

Q1: Any newbie friendly suggestions?

Amethyst
    Also I desperately need Amethyst, which haven't dropped once in Serbule. They are going for 500-900 councils right now. Drop info isn’t on the Wiki, though the Wiki does say I need Survey level 15 to create Blue Mineral Surveys, which does drop them.

Q1: What's the best way to farm for Amethyst after the starter Island? If the answer is grind Surveys until I can mine them, so be it, I just want to know if there are other options.

Summary: I realize that these questions are probably very typical for new players. If some of these items have been answered recently, I’m sorry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoBlue View Post

Skills
    I working on 4 skills (Unarmed, Sword, Fire, Archery). They are all about level 12 or 13. I'd like to get those 4 up to twenty, at which point I will pick two that seem the most fun to combo with.

I want to build a sustainable solo build, that with a little modification, could be used for group play as well. Mostly though, I'm a solo player and prefer ranged battles rather than melee.

Q1: Maybe there is a better set of combos better suited to my play style?
    Fire/Staff, Psych/Sword, Psych/Archery. I'd focus on two for now. It's going to make acquiring gear easier, and it's easier to level additional skills once you have at least a couple other higher skills.

Armor
    Very frustrated by the Armor drops/selection. Not seeing decent drops for my current skills at all. They all want level 10 or 15 skills that I don't have. I've viewed the "used" selection at the Weapon vendors stall and having the same issues. Right now my armor is so sucky that dealing with mobs with more then 90 health is hard.

Q1: How do the loot tables determine what drops, anyways?
    Q2: Is it based on the active skill, or what?
    Q1: Drops are based on the level of the area that you're in. This determines the design (art effects), and to some extent the types, for the gear as well as the level range of the mods that are included. Most often you'll find gear that includes mods for the skills you're using, but that isn't always the case. Sometimes you'll get very random mods.

Q2: Based on skills on your skillbar when you loot a mob or a chest. Group looting gets weird unless it's turn-based.

Councils - Need Better Supply for RIGHT NOW
    I viewed the player work order board, and it's not newbie friendly at all. Based on how often I pick up something now, even the easy ones would take me weeks to fill. I've just started surveying but am guessing it's going to be at least a couple of weeks before it pays off. Got about 1k Councils and training to do.

Q1: Any newbie friendly suggestions?
    Surveying is a good way to make money right out of the gate. Some of the items on the work order board are higher level, and you won't be able to acquire them. Some, like stomachs, are available at all levels but get easier to farm as your relevant skills improve. There are still going to be some hidden gems for you, such as a stack of beets. It'll take you a couple hours to farm them, but the pay-off is your time spent. I put together a list of tips on Steam under the guides section for new players looking to make cash. You might want to check it out.

Amethyst
    Also I desperately need Amethyst, which haven't dropped once in Serbule. They are going for 500-900 councils right now. Drop info isn’t on the Wiki, though the Wiki does say I need Survey level 15 to create Blue Mineral Surveys, which does drop them.

Q1: What's the best way to farm for Amethyst after the starter Island? If the answer is grind Surveys until I can mine them, so be it, I just want to know if there are other options.

Summary: I realize that these questions are probably very typical for new players. If some of these items have been answered recently, I’m sorry.
    First off, amethysts aren't necessary, and they aren't going to save you all that much time if you're only bouncing around from Serbule Hills, Serbule, and Eltibule. Don't worry too much about them right now. You're going to get used to running places. The supply hasn't caught up with demand caused by the recent influx of players, but prices will stabilize back to around 300 per. Surveying is a great way to get them, and if you're going to be surveying anyway for cash, then you'll soon find yourself with plenty to use and sell.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer a lot of your questions, I'll offer up that this doesn't seem to be a game that encourages rushing. Nor do you need too. You can take your time, do a bit of this, a bit of that, and figure things out.

Gear: Lots of gear drops, some of it will be usable, and a lot is just for feeding to vendors either as councils or favor.

Money: Getting stuff to sell will quickly change to "where do i sell it?" Don't neglect Favor. The amount they pay per item, and the pool of money they have each week, will both go up with favor.

Tradeskills: These help with money eventually, but at the start are a money sink. Cooking will immediately help, so will alchemy. Tanning lets you sell hides for more and leads to leatherworking. Blacksmithing takes metals you won't have. Toolcrafting takes skills you don't have.

Surveying: Cheapest way to get gems and metal. Tough at first because you will run into a lot of things that will eat you. It will be easier to just buy the Amethyst you need for now, than to try to gain enough skill to run surveys.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate both of your replies to my questions.

sudostahp - I'll check out Steam today. Meanwhile my concern about Amethysts is that unlike most everything else (skills, ability levels, favor, etc.) my Teleportation skill has not advanced at all, and hence, I figured that it was falling behind all my other advancements. If that is not the case, I will stop worry about it.

I'll check out Pysch - I tend to play fire mages, so of course, I went RIGHT there when I was able. But I am open to other ideas. One Question: When you say "it's easier to level additional skills once you have at least a couple other higher skills.".....What does that actually mean? I'm getting tired of heading back to the Island to level a new skill. Maybe you mean that if a couple of my skills are like level 30, which lets me be in a slightly higher level area, it's easier to level a new skill there? Just checking.

Mikhaila - I don't know that I am rushing. I'm playing at the pace I normally do, which is not the pace "some" people consider safe. Personally, I like to "set up" before I actually "play" so that's mostly what I have been doing, while leveling a bit here and there. I just have reached a point with Councils, Armor and Skill questions that I felt I should post, and get it out of the way. That way, I can address each topic as I have time while I do my normal routine in the game. Haven't forgotten Favor, but wow with a timesink. I'd probably be level 25 in a skill or two by now.

I'm glad to hear tradeskills get better. In many games, they are a money sink until they get high enough to pay for themselves. I'm just not used to having to "pay" to level Tradeskills, and consequently did not balance my Councils accordingly. I'm actually just hording all my hides, because I need to work on some of my existing tradeskills like fletching and carpentry first. I don't even want to deal with Blacksmithing until I am much further along with "applicable" tradeskills are related to my skills.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your teleportation skill will lag behind. It's no big deal, teleportation is fairly limited in scope, and you're not going to get much benefit from the additional skills after you have bind and recall.

You can have, I believe, up to a 25 point difference in combat skill pairs. So if your archery skill is level 5, you can also use level 30 (and below) fire magic attacks. This means you can kill faster, and kill mobs worth more xp, hence being able to level new skills more quickly. Also, don't feel pressured to hang out on the island. Hit Serbule Hills and Serbule, there's plenty to do in both zones at lower levels.

Most trade skills will never make you money, even filling work orders. Carpentry is an exception. If you're concerned about skills that will make you cash, focus on resource harvesting: foraging, butchering, skinning, surveying/mining, gardening, tanning etc. You'll spend far more in leatherworking, cheesemaking, tailoring, blacksmithing, and toolcrafting than you'll ever make back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sudostahp View Post
    Most trade skills will never make you money, even filling work orders. Carpentry is an exception. If you're concerned about skills that will make you cash, focus on resource harvesting: foraging, butchering, skinning, surveying/mining, gardening, tanning etc. You'll spend far more in leatherworking, cheesemaking, tailoring, blacksmithing, and toolcrafting than you'll ever make back.
    I'm sorry maybe I missed something or am taking this out of context, but are you saying production skills and work orders are never profitable?

If so I highly disagree, because I grew my own cotton and surveyed my own gems yesterday and made enough cloth gear to sell off NPCs to make 100k in a single day. Also once you hit ~30 industry you get very simple work orders that pay out ~10-15k that you can finish very quickly.

Initial training costs and skill cap raises are pricey but armor crafting and work orders are where 75% of my money comes from. Something like cheesemaking may be a different story, but even toolcrafting I made ~60k just selling off Master first aid kits for a third of their actual price to Flia. I was able to produce hundreds with just basic slabs and low level tailoring mats.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBlue View Post
    I'm sorry maybe I missed something or am taking this out of context, but are you saying production skills and work orders are never profitable?

If so I highly disagree, because I grew my own cotton and surveyed my own gems yesterday and made enough cloth gear to sell off NPCs to make 100k in a single day. Also once you hit ~30 industry you get very simple work orders that pay out ~10-15k that you can finish very quickly.

Initial training costs and skill cap raises are pricey but armor crafting and work orders are where 75% of my money comes from. Something like cheesemaking may be a different story, but even toolcrafting I made ~60k just selling off Master first aid kits for a third of their actual price to Flia. I was able to produce hundreds with just basic slabs and low level tailoring mats.
    I'm certainly open to being wrong, but I don't think that I am. Some work orders can be profitable, but I don't think that they're profitable enough to ever recoup the cost of training them. @Tagamogi definitely disagrees with me on this point. 10-15k for work orders sounds impressive, but if you subtract the materials cost, the actual profit that you're making is much lower.

Let's use the Master Healing Kits as an example. If you made 60k by vendoring Master Fist Aid kits (value 200), then you made 300 of them. Since the recipe makes 2, you made a total of 150 combines. That means each combine resulted in 400 gross profit. Let's look at the following ingredients required for a combine.

Cotton Thread x1 (Vendor Value 154)
    Coarse Cotton Yarn x1 (Vendor Value 9)
    Basic Skinning Knife x1 (Vendor Value 50)

Did you buy the skinning knifes or make them?
    If you made the skinning knives, then your product cost (the vendor value of the raw materials) of a combine was 213, and your total net profit was 28,050. If you bought the skinning knives, then your product cost was 263, and your net profit was 19,050, so about a third. Check my math (something might be wrong), but it seems that you sold first aid kids for 1/2 to 2/3 of their cost to Flia, not 1/3. You can make about the same in an hour growing cotton, more if you do cotton and barley together. I'm a big fan of gardening. I don't know if it's technically a crafting skill, but it's very profitable.

Here's the other challenge: You could have asked a guildmate to do any or all of the combines for you. They get xp, you get the loot. Both folks win, and you never need to pay for a single toolworking recipe. This is a problem with the current crafting system, and is why many crafting skills can never be profitable in a player-to-player sense. That's the essence of the argument against new players chasing after leatherworking, tailoring, and toolcrafting. There's some profit to be made, but you don't need crafting to fill any of the work orders. Tons of other folks will do it free just for the xp. Given that there's a limited player-to-player market available for most crafting skills, pursuing those skills will never be profitable. I hope that helps. Feel free to push back if you disagree with me.

As for the tailoring, I'd need more details, but I'd wager that the value of the cotton grown and the gems surveyed would be more valuable sold to a player than the finished products sold to a vendor. This depends on the gems used and your valuation of cotton. I think it'd be great if you kept a log of the materials and the value of the resulting items. My experience is completely anecdotal as I haven't logged it, and I'd love to see evidence that I'm wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah sorry when I described the toolcrafting Master First Aid kits scenario that was a total rough guesstimate of what I made. The only reason I brought it up was because I only made Master First Aid kits to eventually make level 70 snail armor, and was shocked to find a solid profit in doing so. Did not intend for it to get picked apart and analysed, sorry.

So what you're saying is you're better off foraging/gathering mats and selling off all your found loot than using it to craft. I see where you're coming from. Just when I read "Most trade skills will never make you money, even filling work orders." This statement itself grabbed my attention because I perceived it as "no money is to be made", instead of "less money is to be made".

I gather all my crafting materials and rarely buy them, so I usually have lots of skins/cotton/etc. stacked up.

Many MMO's have an economy where mats or unfinished products sell for more than the finished product, because that experience those mats can provide is a precious resource for players as well. However there are two points that I don't think contradict your point of view, but must be taken account for.

1. Gathering your own mats and selling finished goods to NPCs never really fluctuates in profit, besides bad luck with RNG at times. So I never have to depend on other players to make some quick cash and can off my goods instantly if I haven't drained NPC council reserves.
    2. Missing out on experience by selling of mats may handicap yourself in the long run in certain areas. This of course is irrelevant if you have no interest in the skill. For instance if you never want to make leather armor and could care less, by all means sell off those skins.

But yea, like I said I'm not arguing with you or think you're wrong. Its just the message I took away from that first post was that you couldn't profit from crafting, and I didn't want new players to think they wouldn't see any councils after gathering their own materials and making items/gear. If you're not making any experience crafting then I can totally see selling off mats. However I am very happy with the income that is a side effect of training my skills through just selling to NPCs.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re-reading the earlier page of this thread, I just wanted to say that I do think sudostaph is giving excellent advice to new players here:
    Quote Originally Posted by sudostahp View Post
    Most trade skills will never make you money, even filling work orders. Carpentry is an exception. If you're concerned about skills that will make you cash, focus on resource harvesting: foraging, butchering, skinning, surveying/mining, gardening, tanning etc.
    I'd mainly replace the "never make you money" with "will make you very little to no money initially". As a newer player, you are much better off focusing on skills that give you an immediate reward for the time and effort you put into them, and the above list works very well for that.

As much as I enjoy leatherworking, to make it fast and profitable there are several things involved that won't be easy for a new player, starting with access to the Amulna work order board and preferably the ability to bind there since there isn't a tanning rack to be found in the entire desert and you have to bounce back and forth between Amulna and Serbule/Rahu in order to actually make the work orders you want to turn in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like you are me!! I love your questions - only played 3 days so I have no answers

Thread Footer