Re-reading the earlier page of this thread, I just wanted to say that I do think sudostaph is giving excellent advice to new players here:
Quote Originally Posted by sudostahp View Post
Most trade skills will never make you money, even filling work orders. Carpentry is an exception. If you're concerned about skills that will make you cash, focus on resource harvesting: foraging, butchering, skinning, surveying/mining, gardening, tanning etc.
I'd mainly replace the "never make you money" with "will make you very little to no money initially". As a newer player, you are much better off focusing on skills that give you an immediate reward for the time and effort you put into them, and the above list works very well for that.

As much as I enjoy leatherworking, to make it fast and profitable there are several things involved that won't be easy for a new player, starting with access to the Amulna work order board and preferably the ability to bind there since there isn't a tanning rack to be found in the entire desert and you have to bounce back and forth between Amulna and Serbule/Rahu in order to actually make the work orders you want to turn in.