Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting Disconnected

Hi PG Folk,

It's been a while, and I'm having some trouble getting back in the game. When I get to the login screen the bottom left jumps from "Working: Connected" to "Working: Connecting..." every few seconds. The "Log In!" button also disappears and reappears at the same interval. I was able to link my old account to my Steam account, but only just barely as I keep getting disconnected shortly after logging into the game. After 5 - 10 minutes of the login screen acting this way I will get an error message that reads "Protocol version mismatch: Couldn't interpret meta command #-256 ".

I read that firewalls and anti-virus can cause issues, so I tried playing the game with them off, and when that failed uninstalled, reinstalled, and tried playing again with them off. Still having the same problem. I would try going around my router, but I have a modem/router combo, so I can’t test that. Anyone have any ideas as to what I should try to do?

Thanks!

PS: Oh, I am on Windows 10 btw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump.......

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Those symptoms usually mean that you can't get a stable connection to our main server. The game can make a connection, but then there's too much packet loss to transmit anything, and the connection breaks. The game keeps retrying though, and eventually one of the unstable connections manages to generate some invalid data before hanging up. (That's what the 256 error is, a corrupted game packet. It's generally a symptom of the same problem as the constant disconnect/reconnects.)

Typically this means there's a hardware problem with your internet connection. If you have 100% reliable connection to the rest of the internet, then it could be a routing problem between your ISP and our ISP, which we can talk to our ISP about fixing... but if your internet is generally flaky, the game is probably never going to be usable for you, I'm sorry to say.

We'd usually recommend reinstalling the game at this point, to rule out version problems or corrupted downloads, but you've already done that. Please try the verifier in the launcher, though: run the launcher, click "Options..." instead of the Login button, then press "Validate Installation". If you still have problems after that, I would really suspect it's not a software problem at all. (If it was a problem with your firewall, you wouldn't get any connection at all.)

(Edit: were you the person that sent in your log file via email? I remember seeing a log about a similar situation, but the log file just described problems keeping a connection to the server; it didn't have anything more specific.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh, I don't think it's my internet's reliability, I've played other MMOs with no issues.

I'm trying to run PG through Steam, is there supposed to be a Validate Installation button for that launcher? Because I'm not seeing one. I went in to Steam and validated the game files there if that helps.

And no, that wasn't me who sent the log file email.

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    In that case, can you send me your log, in case it has a clue for me? After running the game and getting the error code, quit the game and go to this directory in Explorer:

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\LocalLow\Elder Game\Project Gorgon

(but with YourName changed to the name of your Windows account)

There'll be a file there called output_log.txt; if you can compress and email that to me at eric@projectgorgon.com I'll take a look at it.

Thanks!

(And yeah, the Steam validation is fine.)

Thread Footer