Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestion: “you can’t pick up this xxx as you have not the proper level in ..."

Suggestion.

Instead of “you can’t pick up this xxx as you have not the proper level in yyy” add a tiny chance of picking up the resource and a huge chance of ruin it.
    With this way you remove the “why the “f#$@#$” can’t I just pick up this berry. It is right in front of me…” and replace it with “you ruined the berry, banana, ore, gem,…” it is much better.
    Also if you have more skill level than required more items could be harvested.

Food for thought.

Thank you

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Oh, I like this idea. If they bring their sense of humor to bear on making the reasons make sense and funny, that would be awesome. Sometimes it is easy to RP the reason it didn't work, but sometimes it makes you frustrated that it doesn't make sense to your way of thinking. Or maybe it just how badly you want the item

For some reason I'm imaging a new player trying to pick up some maple wood, and they get a your not good enough message: you ended up hacking it to pieces, but hey you now got some nice maple flavored toothpicks. And some maple flavored toothpicks which are low value vendor trash get added to inventory.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShieldBreaker View Post
    Oh, I like this idea. If they bring their sense of humor to bear on making the reasons make sense and funny, that would be awesome. Sometimes it is easy to RP the reason it didn't work, but sometimes it makes you frustrated that it doesn't make sense to your way of thinking. Or maybe it just how badly you want the item

For some reason I'm imaging a new player trying to pick up some maple wood, and they get a your not good enough message: you ended up hacking it to pieces, but hey you now got some nice maple flavored toothpicks. And some maple flavored toothpicks which are low value vendor trash get added to inventory.

"maple flavored toothpicks" I want this

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MorKazim View Post
    "maple flavored toothpicks" I want this
    I know! Or injuring yourself.

Gosh man iRL the number of times I hurt myself when I was trying to harvest something new to me. And really, people do get killed every year trying to harvest fallen logs. It's not funny iRL but it would work in PG and be able to be funny. 'Killed by a rolling log' 'Killed by a catapulting stump' 'killed by a falling apple' would be hilarious extra death xp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love this idea! Very creative. Hopefully the devs consider this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the sense of achievement of getting to the next gate as to put it.
    I also feel that resources worth having would be scarce as everyone would at least try to get them.
    As long as spawns could be replaced like for like I see little issue with change, as Is I just get feeling the best stuff on maps would be rare as everyone would try to grab it whether able or not.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is actually a simple but elegant solution to the problem and will make players less restricted by atleast allowing them the CHANCE to pick something up even if it is ruined in the process due to their lack of skill or inappropriate skill level. Great idea! +1

8.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #8
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I do feel this is kinder to new players in newbie areas, and we already use this idea in some places where it won't hamper other people (for instance, you can autopsy anything you kill... you'll just screw it up if you aren't good enough). And I might use it for low-level resources, but it doesn't really scale to high level items.

Just as an example: suppose you completely ignore mining all through the game, and now you're in Rahu and you see a bunch of level 60 mining nodes. You've got lots of fighting skill, so you go killing monsters and using those mining nodes. But you get nothing from those nodes -- you just waste them, since you don't have any skill. You might get 1 or 2 points of Mining XP from it, but not enough XP to level you quickly. So in the mean time you are basically just unintentionally griefing people who DO have the necessary skill. And unless you want to pointlessly use a million level 60 nodes, you'll still have to go back to an earlier zone and raise the skill the right way. So it's just... pointless. And frustrating in its own way.

But for the low-level tiers of resources, those concerns aren't very important, so we might use the technique there in the future.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Citan That makes it seem more like a skill-gap sort of thing instead. Which I'd like. It's super frustrating to harvest only a third of what's in a zone (like eltibule's gathering spread).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    @Citan That makes it seem more like a skill-gap sort of thing instead. Which I'd like. It's super frustrating to harvest only a third of what's in a zone (like eltibule's gathering spread).
    To play devil's advocate: I spent a lot of effort running around foraging in low level zones with apple/hay/strawberries until I could get to maple/cedar and higher level things. The incentive was I saw those higher level items going unused and I knew when i got my skill high enough I'd be able to harvest them. In this scenarior Eltibule would be devoid of cedar/maple/mushrooms as people with no skill clear them out and gain nothing.

So while some brand new players feel frustrated because they can't harvest something they haven't got skill for - higher level characters would be insanely frustrated to work up a skill and yet not be able to use it because of ruined resources.

In fact, it might be very hard to ever get the skill needed, since you now you aren't just competing with players of equal skill, but also with anyone who just wanders by.

Just a counter opinion.

Thread Footer