Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fog and exploration

First, I have no problem with the fog added to zones as an incentive to explore.

However, I have found a few issues with it:

1) The current 2-tone fog is extremely difficult to see in some zones.

2) Several zones have areas that cannot be explored on foot, making 100% exploration for the zone impossible.

3) When attempting to explore a zone near the edge, the graphics will sometimes go haywire, with the ability to run through rocks, and several layers of background. This is especially true in Eltibule and Rahu.

4) Some parts of zones, Eltibule for one example, cannot be flown over. This again keeps players from achieving 100% exploration.

This is not intended as a criticism, but for the purpose of feedback. I would like to suggest that instead of one clear area with one light fog on each side and then dark fog around the player, make it a 3-wide clear area and then dark fog.

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The current max-completion percentages are just temporary -- they're based on the idea you can reach every fog square, which of course is impossible, especially in dungeons. Instead of trying to figure out exactly which squares players can reach, we're letting players figure it out for us. In a month or two we'll examine all player data and find the "real" max-completion percentages, and set them so that it's possible to reach 100% in each map.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest using a parchment colored fog around the edge instead of the same grey fog - that way the edge of the map is more visible.

Inserting squares that trigger expanses that cannot be cleared by normal means - that way there's a spot you can tic off and say 'yep, that's ocean over there' or 'yep, that's a castle all right' for otherwise no-go zones.

@Citan Awesome idea of using player data.

I always wondered what it would be like to have grass or road stones disappear/appear based upon player actions. Making natural trails...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    In a month or two we'll examine all player data and find the "real" max-completion percentages, and set them so that it's possible to reach 100% in each map.
    Be careful that some of these squares aren't reachable unless you fall through the world. My Yeti Cave percentage for instance could be above what is theoretically achievable.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the others about the 2 tone fog, im spending more Time on looking for spots i've missed than exploring.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The half tones shouldn't represent squares you haven't been? That's not good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do love the idea behind exploration and the fog on the map though, so keep ut up.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    The half tones shouldn't represent squares you haven't been? That's not good.
    I meant the square size should be increased, and the half tone eliminated. This would more closely approximate what is close to you in game, as opposed to what you are standing on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbuk View Post
    I meant the square size should be increased, and the half tone eliminated. This would more closely approximate what is close to you in game, as opposed to what you are standing on.
    This makes sense. The guys that first drew maps of new frontiers didn't actually walk every square foot of the places that they explored.

Thread Footer