Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Max Player On 1 Server And FPS Issue

Hello, This question is for devs, I was wondering what's the maximum number of players that 1 server can handle ? Since your game is made in Unity, I have played other games that were also made in Unity like Rust (max 250 players per server) and I have recently tried a new released MMORPG ToT (made in Unity it has 2 Servers actually and 1,3 k Active users on discord) but the game crashed immediately on steam release and the problem persists, looks like the reviews are becoming worse each day, now they added a queuing system like in Rust, so I was really intrigued for PG will you guys add a queue system if the server is overloaded ? Will it also have a huge impact on FPS in certain area ?

This is another off-topic question why on most of the Unity games the FPS is so low, I have studied the engine 2 years ago, is it related to Meshes and Renderer ? but now I don't have any clue.

My computer specs: I have 40 fps near Serbule's Well, and 60 (I setup as max) on Eltibule.

Operating System: Windows 10 Professionnel 64-bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M
    DirectX Version: 12

OptimizeMeshes activated, I also tweak some of advanced option; Removed trees etc...
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M is already selected on Nvidia Control.
    Almost nothing running in the background most of the services are disabled.
    I have also checked Power Management Mode set to High.
    And Tried the Graphics on -2 Retro.

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The game uses Unity for the client graphics, but the server is our custom Gorgon Engine, which is written in Java. The game world can support up to 1500 concurrent players max (but the game's content will be designed to fit 1000 people comfortably). If we have more than 1000 concurrent players on a server for sustained amount of time we can set up new game servers.

During the Indiegogo campaign we had 250 concurrent players without major issue (except there weren't nearly enough monsters to go around at the time), and the engine could easily have handled more. So I'm not too worried about short-term influx from Steam.

Optimizing framerates in large-world games is always hard and Unity doesn't give magic bullets for fixing framerate problems. It always takes tons of engineering work to get framerates high. And that's a large part of what we'll be doing during beta.

Other MMOs in Unity have the same problem for the same reason: it's hard. And Unity appeals to a lot of inexperienced developers. If the devs haven't worked on MMOs before, they may not have realized what they were getting into until it's too late. But we've done this work before for other MMOs and I'm confident in our ability to get good framerates -- it just takes a lot of iteration.

Edited to add: we made our own server engine specifically because Unity's networking code and server system sucks for MMOs. (And the available off-the-shelf extension packages suck too.) That's another reason other indie MMOs run into trouble: if the developers think they can use a cheap networking package for an MMO, they will likely run into problems with high player counts. No commercial networking system I've seen is good enough for an MMO yet, so I had to write my own. In fact we're letting a few other indie MMO teams use our server engine, because there just aren't good alternatives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    Edited to add: we made our own server engine specifically because Unity's networking code and server system sucks for MMOs. (And the available off-the-shelf extension packages suck too.) That's another reason other indie MMOs run into trouble: if the developers think they can use Unity's built-in networking (or any cheap networking package) for an MMO, they will likely run into problems with load.
    Thanks for the answer I am less worried now, I am starting to remember some of the Unity's networking, you remind me of UNET and Photon oh god no thanks.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Working on a different project in Unity, our big problem was that basic assets in Unity are not optimized for display like they would be at a big studio. We've spent about half our art time 'fixing' objects to use more optimized textures among them, fixing faces, etc.

I keep thinking Citan has sooo much work to do o-o I'm always amazed that anything gets done.

Thread Footer