Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The word vulnerable describes the state of the critter not whats put it in that state its vulnerable yes but why? Is it afraid? Is it weakened, Is it ill? Is it surprised? Is it preoccupied.

I prefer like shieldbreaker posted intimidated

Therefore because the critter is intimidated it has a weakness or vulnerability.

To be off guard to me means to be taken by surprise, this game has no stealth.
    I also assume if attacking 3 mobs 1 can suddenly have the current vulnerable state if that's so why would it be off guard whilst fighting for its life.
    Also is an issue with stuns you ain't more off guard than when your on a 10 second stun.
    That would perhaps work stun it to cause trigger then hit it whilst stunned.

I never use this feature anyways, I'm normally too busy hitting anything and everything to kill things or heal myself to be paying attention enough to hitting certain things at the right moment, chances are if it hits worth a damn its on cooldown anyways.
    Last edited by Celler; 02-23-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, "intimidated" is the word that works least. If a Gaz-Urak just decided to devour my little noob elf who shouldn't even be in the zone yet, it's probably not going to feel particularly intimidated all of a sudden. On the other hand, it might become off guard (or distracted or vulnerable or something like that) if it's too busy drooling over its coming dinner to pay attention to the fight, or its shoelace just became untied, or it suddenly realized it's forgotten its mom's birthday or something like that.

(Well, ok, Gaz-Urak are probably not that into shoes or shoelaces, but I basically think of the vulnerable state as the monster doing something that suddenly leaves it open to an attack of opportunity.)

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    This is off topic, but it took me at least 6+ weeks to work out what rage was all about and how it worked, again I sort of didn't notice this but kept getting rage..beat. I then proceeded to tell 4 - 5 other people about this important aspect because they didn't notice either, which is a shame, because I think it's a good mechanic and one I like.

The other thing to note is that it's hard to see how much of an affect using these things are. It takes a lot of working out; and perhaps that's part of the fun. Should one be de-raging or waiting for vulnerable mobs, or both, or stunning them or what not instead.
    Rage is another mechanic I mostly tend to ignore. I have a tendency to pick up fire effects on my gear, so generally I figure that the mob is going to become mad faster than I can reduce its rage anyway, and it's easier to just dps it down... Ignoring rage has generally not been a problem for me except with ogres and possibly Lomax.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know Tagamogi what you say makes a lot of sense really.

For a player moving up the lvls in a zone of suitable lvl content it simply does not work well.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Idk, "vulnerable" seems fine to me, I didn't have any issue as a newb associating it with the skills descriptions. I would add more ways to trigger vulnerability though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like one of 2 things:

1. Increased control over vulnerability. This could be paired with increased item affix interaction with vulnerability.

2. Clarification to the player that vulnerability is random, and have the skills designed to take advantage of that. If you know for sure it's random, you can do a little bit of maths/learn your rotation and determine if it's worth keeping a particular skill off cd to take advantage of vulnerability. It could actually be a legitimate way to make rotations a little more interesting, particularly if there are some mobs that go vulnerable more often.

So then you could have multiple 'states' for fighting monsters: 1. Rage state 2: Vulnerability state 3: Range 4: Health. 5. Armor. That gives a lot of variables for making combat interesting.
    Last edited by Throwback; 03-01-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I'm late to follow up on some of the points in this thread, but I wanted to answer a couple questions about what "triggers" vulnerable, and how long it lasts.

There's definitely a randomness to when a mob will go vulnerable on it's own. It can happen BEFORE any damage is dealt, but you at least need to have the attention of the mob. IE, you're luring it away, but it's targeted on you, it can go vulnerable before you use any skills on it.

To rely on the random chance of a target going vulnerable, you might finish the entire battle before it happens. It seems to happen more frequently in bigger groups, which leads me to believe each player in combat with the mob increases the chance for it to go vulnerable.

Once the target is vulnerable, it seems to stay that way for about 4 seconds. If you are Johnny on the spot, and anticipating the target going vulnerable, you can get off 3 skills with a small amount of time to spare, but I have never been able to get the 4th hit off while the target remains vulnerable.

the staff skill has two mod slots (offhand, and ring mods) that give a % chance for ALL staff skills to trigger the target's vulnerability. At level 70 each of these mods give 5% chance, for a total of 10%.

There is also an extremely rare mod for the staff skill Phoenix strike that appears on mainhand weapons that reads "Phoenix Strike deals +10% damage and triggers the target's Vulnerability" I have been lucky enough to have found this mod, and I use it along with the other staff mods for vulnerability in a straight vulnerability damage build.

There is also a psychology skill I've witnessed that seems to trigger the target's vulnerability every time. Maybe someone else can give their insight on what skill that is.

The best part about vulnerable builds and skills are that the more people in your group running a vulnerable build, the more powerful everyone in the group becomes. It's a form of a group buff, and it also adds another dimension to combat, and in my opinion, makes it much more engaging. Me and Auth play together with a similar build, and often while on skype. Announcing when you're going to make the target vulnerable gives you a HUGE combat advantage.
    Last edited by ProfessorCat; 03-31-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sokercap View Post
    Vulnerable is clear enough ... Watching for a completely random icon to popup ... will never be a mechanic I want to build around.

The mechanics of vulnerable is the main reason I completely ignore it. A completely uncontrollable rng that only is in effect for a few seconds? Yea I'm not going to waste gear mods or a skill slot just for that.
    ... The simplest way to make it a more interesting mechanic I think would be to have more skills able to trigger it, and make it last longer. ...
    Before I begin, I'd like to say this reply is based on 2 observations based on my own personal experiences. If you've observed something different, please correct me.

1. None of the skills that I had that did extra damage to vulnerable targets ever did enough extra damage with any level of frequency to allow me to notice it.

2. I did not notice any of my regular skills doing significantly more damage to vulnerable targets

I don't think the name is why people ignore the Vulnerable mechanic.

I believe that many players -- even experienced ones -- would have difficulty explaining how or why vulnerability happens. And even among those who are able to deal with the randomness, I think there are fewer still who have the reflexes and state of mind to respond to this mechanic in the short time period during which it occurs. And among those that have the reflexes and state of mind, I believe that fewer still would agree that the investment in focus and preparation is worth it.

This issue can be broken into 2 parts:

1. Mechanic is difficult to predict

I suppose that the premise of the Vulnerable mechanic being random is that nobody is perfect, and if you are lucky you can kill anything at the right moment when it loses its concentration. If this is the premise, then I agree that the skill should continue to be hard to predict. From what I understand a target's vulnerability can be affected by psychology. So this further strengthens this premise.

2. Benefits are difficult to perceive

This situation is actually similar to the one in which people were not eating. Even though eating was a great mechanic that added benefit, people didn't pay attention to it because it didn't really impact them. I think the mechanic should either change to not depend on a specific reaction to randomness, and/or the benefit of this reaction should be greatly increased.

Suggestion

I think that the idea for a mechanic which allows one to turn the tide of battle based on luck is a good one. But I don't think it should be limited to a specific kind of skill that does extra damage to vulnerable targets.

Instead, I think that a vulnerable target should truly be vulnerable and have their defense and/or dodge lowered during this period of time. This would turn the vulnerable state into a truly exciting one that players strategize around. For example, players might save their high damage, low cool-down spell for the moment when a creature becomes vulnerable. Entire raids may even be planned around this: "Everyone save your high output skills for the moment the boss becomes vulnerable"

In this manner the mechanic would become beneficial to the point where many people mention it in casual pre-battle talks

If there is a concern that this kind of mechanic would become too overpowered, than vulnerability can become specific. For example, an animal might become vulnerable to fire damage for a moment in time. In a case like that, maybe the exact vulnerability type would only be visible to those with high enough anatomy of that specific species.

Those skills that previously did extra damage to vulnerable targets, can continue to do so of course. However, increasing the damage output of these skills would definitely raise awareness of this mechanic. (assuming they are not overpowered already -- I just personally haven't noticed any truly high damage output due to vulnerability)
    Last edited by ShubiMaja; 03-31-2018 at 02:52 PM.
    The Cows Are Always Watching.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagamogi View Post
    Rage is another mechanic I mostly tend to ignore. ... Ignoring rage has generally not been a problem for me except with ogres and possibly Lomax.
    I feel like if Rage was more dangerous than it is now, people would pay more attention to it and actually care about it.
    The Cows Are Always Watching.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShubiMaja View Post
    Great partial quote from sokercap.

The name isn't why people ignore the Vulnerable mechanic.

I partially agree with what you've said. My experience was leveling a skill I had no levels in (staff) around being a vulnerable build. I was able to experience combat with no bonus at all, and at the end, where I have a lot of control over the target going vulnerable.

At lower levels, i would find myself holding off on using cosmic strike (epic attack with double damage against vulnerable) and sometimes would complete an entire battle before ever getting to use it. Or even worse, the target goes vulnerable when a normal attack will kill them. This led me to use it when it was useful, to start the cooldown game, and then often found opportunities I didn't have it up when the target ended up going vulnerable. To this effect, it really is a lack luster mechanic against trash mobs.

Where it shines, however, is in boss battles. Especially early on. In a longer battle (and as I said before, vulnerable tends to proc more in a group) you are going to see the target vulnerable. In these instances, it is absolutely worth it to triage your attacks, and hold off for a couple big hits. Most of the skills that give a bonus to vulnerable, deal double damage.

Another GREAT time to use a vulnerable attack is when you accidentally draw a couple mobs at once, or even a whole room. It probably wont be the mob you're focused on, but I promise one of those guys are going vulnerable before the battle is done. With 3 or 4 seconds of vulnerable, you will have time to switch targets, and either hit for double damage, or outright kill something that was hitting away at you.

Now throw in a little control, or predictability to the build. The staff mods that give a % chance to trigger target's vulnerability. At this point, now you can start holding off attacks with certainty of big hits.

Lastly, the mod for phoenix strike, which ensures a vulnerable hit. With this certainty, you can plan your attacks. I have an organic combo I developed that hits with a crossbow to add 40% damage to epic attacks(and deals 750 damage). Hit with phoenix strike (3.2k damage) which triggers vulnerability, and sets up the following 3 hits:
    Strategic thrust (while vulnerable, does 2.5k damage) - 10 second cd
    Head cracker (stuns if vulnerable, hits for 1k damage) - 13 second cd
    Cosmic strike (with epic bonus damage, and vulnerable, hits for 5k damage) - 40 second cd.
    That's almost 12k damage, and I've only used 4 skills on my main bar, and 1 on my sidebar.

I should add these skills are fully modded at level 70. (although I'm still missing a mod for headcracker, and cosmic strikel)

Throw out phoenix strike, and I will most likely hit another vulnerable target, and I'm still doing 9k damage on an organic combo, that otherwise would do 4.5k damage.

For anyone hesitant to use the mental fortitude to keep track of vulnerable, I ask you this. Are you keeping track of target's rage meters? I gaurentee your build has 1 or 2 rage reducers. I liken this mechanic to an advanced form of combat. If I swap the order of strategic thrust, and headcracker, I also stun the target before they can rage hit, and then completely dump their rage bar before they can hit me again, because of mods for cosmic strike that reduce rage.

As with almost any build on this game, it really does not shine until you figure out the organic combinations that are best for your strategy. And then, of course, Mods for the skills you use.
    Last edited by ProfessorCat; 03-31-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is anything wrong with "Vulnerable." I noticed it when I first started, without understanding the mechanics, but as soon as I got a skill that used it it became clear. I use it fairly regularly (staff). I have to say if you were going to rename it the only thing I could see that seems to work is "Distracted" or the like. I agree with a prevous poster that the exclamation point seems like the mob is more angry instead of more vulnerable, but I'm not certain what would actually be better.

I like ProfessorCat's playing strategies. I haven't started using the rage info to my advantage fully yet but plan on working it in more soon. That is what makes this game great...the amazing number of options out there to allow you to adjust your play style!

Thread Footer