Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to find a suitable replacement to "vulnerable", how about "unaware" or "confused"? "Fey Panther is unaware" or "Gigaspider is confused".

Just my 2 councils worth.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'Fey Panther is unaware' reminds me of how confusing these messages are when there's multiple of some mob in combat x-x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorCat View Post
    I think it's fine as vulnerable. Changing the name, without changing the mechanic, wont show any difference to people "figuring it out"

I'm reminded of a post you had last year about most players don't use all 12 of their primary/secondary bars. I liken the use of vulnerable to advanced gameplay, similar to using all 12 combat skills.
    This, and as some others have said. If vulnerable initially confused me, it was only until I had a skill that took advantage of it (woot tooltips!).

Renaming vulnerability or rage to anything else would have ultimately not have impacted my learning of these features. Vulnerability seems to be descriptive of the generic process of finding an opening and exploiting it.

As ProfessorCat mentioned all the way back on page 1, this is perhaps the first "Advanced" combat feature players encounter. For that reason, it may warrant a training golem (as recommended previously) to better introduce the topic. However, it is fairly straight forward, and part of the fun of P:G, exploring and figuring stuff out.

Given all of that, I still don't focus on exploiting vulnerability on a fight-to-fight basis, it just isn't as efficient to withhold an ability waiting for the vulnerability state to trigger. It would be nice if there was more of a visual indication as to the duration of the vulnerable state, and if abilities were highlighted that take advantage of the vulnerability state. I'd rather see an iteration on the system than spending time to change the countless bits of text that refer to the system as vulnerability. For now, I keep this in the back of my mind and when I can easily exploit vulnerability (usually when going against 2-3 mobs) I do so. (Knife/Archer for reference).

Similarly, I'm only just now being pushed more heavily to improve my combat play by managing rage (I've been able to mostly ignore it without much consequence, bears and others are less forgiving though). This feels like a natural progression. Additionally I've noticed basic/epic/unique on my abilities and suspect there is another layer I've yet to delve into, but I look forward to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Overextended" would work, except that wouldn't apply to cases where the enemy is running away. (Presumably in these cases a moment of Vulnerability comes from tripping or simply focusing too much on escape at the expense of self-defense.)

I'll go against the grain here and say that I think I would have realized the significance of "vulnerable" targets much faster if the term had been "off-guard." Saying an ability hits harder against "vulnerable" enemies made it sound to me like there's enemies that are inherently susceptible to that skill or something. "Off-guard" is a lot more accurate and specific.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry if this is a bit of a thread necro but I'd like to offer insight from my personal experience. Vulnerable seems to be a good enough name for it, but if it needs to be changed I could see "Open" "Off-Guard" "Compromised" "Exposed" working as a replacement. I feel the problem with the mechanic is the icon and a lack of indication of user interaction. When I first started playing and noticed the rage bar I thought the vulnerability icon and following red fart cloud was it getting ready for it's rage attack. After eventually figuring it out I wasn't sure I was doing the mechanic correctly, the icon would appear and I would hit the skill that had the bonus to vulnerability and then that was it. I wasn't sure if I miss the mark or if it evaded the attack or what because the icon would just stay there for a few more seconds. Maybe changing the icon to something closer to showing that the monsters defense is compromised. As an example the vulnerability could be a cracked shield and when you hit it with your vulnerability attack it could change to a broken or shatter shield icon. So when people use it the icon change will inform them if they've successfully performed the mechanic.

Edit: Actually if you were interested in changing the mechanic a bit you could go between a 'compromised' and 'exposed' state. For example , an enemy goes 'vulnerable/compromised' a player has 4 seconds or how ever long it lasts to use an attack that leaves the enemy with an 'exposed' debuff for 5 or w/e seconds. Exposed enemies take +25% damage from all sources for the duration of the debuff or whatever you end up picking. Exposure could mean a variety of things, maybe enemy specific,
    Last edited by Grious; 04-27-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Personally i don't see a real problem with the name (i confess i haven't read the whole thread) but an indicator that you've exposed the vulnerability (or whatever its called) would be nice.

If you check your info messages chat tab (i'm not sure if this is a default tab) you can probably figure out when it goes off though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The name also seems fine to me. I've seen "vulnerable" used for similar purposes in various other games.

What I do think is unintuitive is that I almost never notice when a mob is vulnerable. Most of the time when I see a vulnerable mob, it's a mob I'm passing by, not fighting. I either don't notice vulnerable mobs I'm fighting, or they don't become vulnerable often.

I've seen MMO ability systems in the past that, upon a certain "proc", or trigger, that enables a certain ability, that newly enabled ability will appear vibrantly on the screen next to the skill bar. While that exact interaction may not be appropriate here, what I do think would be great is:

Whenever the enemy you're targeting is vulnerable, all of your abilities that interact with (e.g. deal extra damage) vulnerable enemies are somehow visually emphasized. Maybe the icon starts flickering or flashing a certain color, something like that. That'd be a huge help. Some sort of "use me! use me!" button.

Update the tooltip somehow when targeting (or maybe just near?) a vulnerable mob too, just in case I'm looking at that or I'm curious about why my ability is flickering.

If you're not already, show the extra damage (or total damage if the increased amount is shown as one number) as it appears over the mob I'm fighting in a visually unique way, so I know that is extra damage I've dealt because the enemy is vulnerable. Similar to how critical damage looks different from non-critical damage in a lot of games.

If you want to make it extra obvious that a mob is vulnerable, you can visually change the mob model itself, e.g. change its color or make it flicker red or something like that. Or change the color of its health bar. Or anything. I just don't notice the vulnerable icon all that much. Maybe part of the problem is that I'm blind or something?

Anyhow, even just some these systems would help. Even if people aren't exactly certain what is happening at first, drilling into people's heads that "vulnerable = use these abilities = you dealt more dmg" will help them figure it out more quickly than they do now.
    Last edited by TimeBomb; 05-01-2018 at 01:33 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't pay attention to "Vulnerable." I don't typically use abilities which rely on the vulnerable state to be effective, as it is random. There are so many great abilities in the skill sets I play, I don't bother wasting one of my precious slots on an ability which relies on a random status to make it effective. I run bard49/psych47 at the moment, for reference. Others have said - it's not really worth holding back on using an ability until a monster is vulnerable, when I could just slot in a different, interesting ability I don't have to wait to use. The full utility of a Vulnerable-status-dependent(VSD) ability does not exceed the utility of a different, non-VSD ability, so I just ignore them. The reward of using a VSD ability to it's fullest isn't on par with the investment of holding back a VSD ability for the opportunity - fights last about the same amount of time with or without them, so why would I increase my micromanagement load? Caveat - I play caster-y types, so this opinion might be different with other skill sets.

Tangentially, I don't know if others play this way, but I am rarely looking at the monsters I am fighting while I am fighting them. They are in my periphery. I'm looking at my HP, armor, and 18 combat buttons, planning my rotations, heals, patches, CC's, etc. Having the "Vulnerable" indicator be on the button of the abilities affected might be more useful that having it on the monster (or both!) When fighting 2-3 goblins or 5-6 bear groupies in a pile, who the heck knows which one is vulnerable? It's just a huge pile of models. However, if any ability buttons which have vulnerable applications started flashing when my target was vulnerable, I could process the information a bit better.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    We can add pop-up hints and stuff, but I think part of the problem is the name "vulnerable". It's very generic. "Vulnerable" can mean lots of things, such as being weak to a specific damage type. Players see "Vulnerable" over the monsters' head and go "huh, that's good... I guess." They see that abilities do extra damage "to vulnerable targets" but that doesn't really click with the word "Vulnerable" over monsters' heads.

So I'm thinking of renaming it to something else. Right now I like "Off-Guard". You'll see "Off-Guard" pop up over monsters, and you'll see some abilities do more damage to Off-Guard targets, and I think that'll be a little easier to figure out. But before I go changing the text in a thousand places I figured I'd see if you have other suggestions!
    The word 'vulnerable' is fairly straight-forward...

I can honestly say I've never bothered to react to it, however. While I've put effort into figuring out which abilities are core, nice and epic attacks and when to use them after what combination of skills and or events... 'vulnerable' is sort of a threshold for me where it becomes too much to juggle and simply isn't fun, so I largely ignore it.

If your response to this is "working as intended", I guess I can respect that.

If, however, you'd like to correct the GUI from obscuring some of the fun in your game without dumbing down mechanics, please consider having abilities that function differently in temporary situations highlighted somehow when the situation is satisfied. In other words, if I have an ability that does something special when a creature is vulnerable, then the icon for that ability would pulse, flash, sparkle or otherwise draw my attention when a targeted mob is vulnerable. Similarly, an effect that augments 'nice' abilities for N seconds might cause 'nice' abilities to similarly advertise their momentary advantage...

A similar effect could be used for negatively impacted abilities as well. For instance, if a creature were burning from a certain spell, perhaps they would be more resistant to a particular Ice Magic spell... that spell could be clouded, or pulse a different color than an advantages ability, etc. This could even be used to disadvantage (balance) certain skill pairings if desired.

This sort of indicator wouldn't simplify or dumb down the underlying mechanics of situational interaction, it would just remove the GUI form getting in the way. It also would make complex combination effects (where, perhaps, two abilities from different skill lines would make a creature more vulnerable to an ability from a third skill line) more apparent and enjoyable, further promoting pairing or grouping.

I dunno... I just don't think the issue is the word you've chosen.
    Last edited by snowe; 05-01-2018 at 07:26 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The word is fine, though "Triggered" would be funny for about 25 minutes

The issue I have is when it procs... I'm about 27/30 staff unarmed, so not a terribly fast killer, fighting stuff in Eltibule and if Vulnerable goes off its usually near the end of the fight... Funny thing is, I usually start a fight by lighting the mob on fire, which would logically seem to place anybody in a vulnerable state

It would be nice to know what causes the state to proc, as I do actually keep an eye on what skills do extra damage because of it because without that extra damage they are usually fairly weak with long CDs, so kind of a waste to have on my bar

Thread Footer