Welcome to Project: Gorgon!


Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member Tagamogi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    549
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    85 (1,801 Banked)

    Auto-repeat when crafting

    Two somewhat related suggestions here:

    1. Could we get rid of the delay after each item is crafted and before auto-repeat starts on the next item?

    The main thing this delay has done for me is make me ignore auto-repeat and click the Craft button myself multiple times in a row since I can't bear the thought of the delay doubling the time it takes to make my stuff. The only times I use auto-repeat now is when I know I will be afk for an extended period of time.

    I'm not sure what the purpose of this delay is. If it's to make it harder to accidentally make extra items, it's not working for me. If I clicked auto-repeat on purpose, I know it's happening and it's easy enough to turn back off. If I clicked auto-repeat by accident, the delay isn't actually long enough for me to notice what's going on. Which brings me to the next suggestion:

    2. Could the auto-repeat button be moved, so that it's no longer right on top of the "Craft It" button?

    I've accidentally fat-fingered auto-repeat many many times now when trying to craft a single item, and made multiple items I hadn't planned on. It might also help if the auto-repeat box/button had a more visible checkmark or something to indicate it's happening - I know the box looks a little bit different when auto-repeat is on but somehow it just doesn't register in my brain.


    ( Fwiw, I've whined about this to a friend, and was amused to find out that he's also been snubbing auto-repeat because it just takes too long now. It's good to know I'm not the only person obsessed about speed. On the other hand, he does not have my problem of accidentally clicking it...)

  2. #2
    Senior Member ShieldBreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    685
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Points
    161 (2,002 Banked)
    I don't mind the delay, but it seems to me it takes a 1/10th of the time of the usual crafting time. I wonder if this is an issue with it being geared to Framerate something like how the circle on the mining and maps was. The crafting delay seems to go by pretty quick to me or maybe I'm not in as much of a hurry.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Crissa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    790
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    1,824 (750 Banked)
    Yeah, the auto-delay is long.

    There's nothing stopping cooking a bajillion copies at once now, either, that doesn't seem to be intended behavior. Before the new client we had to wait for one dish to finish cooking before cooking another copy. But also before, things without timers could be done as fast as we could click.

    Maybe the cool-down is slowed by framerate like the map-circles were?

    I thought I reported this via the in-game bug reporting.

  4. #4
    Member Karamasha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    298 (0 Banked)
    When im cooking i never use auto-repeat but when i do textile creation i love it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Tagamogi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    549
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    85 (1,801 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShieldBreaker View Post
    I don't mind the delay, but it seems to me it takes a 1/10th of the time of the usual crafting time. I wonder if this is an issue with it being geared to Framerate something like how the circle on the mining and maps was. The crafting delay seems to go by pretty quick to me or maybe I'm not in as much of a hurry.
    Huh, interesting. You don't notice the delay even when doing relatively quick recipes like textile creation? I'd put the time to make a single thread at about 2-3 seconds, and then the auto-repeat delay adds about another couple seconds, so it feels like it's effectively doubling my time. Which makes me very unhappy when I'm doing oodles of threads for a tailoring work order. But yes, I tend to towards impatient in general.

    I've been doing most of my crafting in Serbule, so probably running around 12-20 fps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    There's nothing stopping cooking a bajillion copies at once now, either, that doesn't seem to be intended behavior. Before the new client we had to wait for one dish to finish cooking before cooking another copy. But also before, things without timers could be done as fast as we could click.
    I thought this was unchanged from before; cooking recipes always took no time, and they can still be made by clicking rapidly?

  6. #6
    Junior Member Raozum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    110 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagamogi View Post
    Huh, interesting. You don't notice the delay even when doing relatively quick recipes like textile creation? I'd put the time to make a single thread at about 2-3 seconds, and then the auto-repeat delay adds about another couple seconds, so it feels like it's effectively doubling my time. Which makes me very unhappy when I'm doing oodles of threads for a tailoring work order. But yes, I tend to towards impatient in general.

    I've been doing most of my crafting in Serbule, so probably running around 12-20 fps.


    I thought this was unchanged from before; cooking recipes always took no time, and they can still be made by clicking rapidly?
    A small opinion of mine: Perhaps, it was made such as such to imitate the effort real-world crafting takes, where if ur making, say 50ish strings or something, you might take the effort to manually "craft(click)" them (since the delay will feel "longer" or waste more time then u want to). However, when it comes to really large numbers, and where it takes time for each recipe (example carding 2000+ cotton), the time it takes for the auto-repeat delay in total will have a lesser effect, not in terms of time delay, but how it affects your schedule..instead of afking, for e.g, 1 hour, u might do it for 1.25 hrs, whereas in the previous case it would prob be 20 mins Vs 30 mins. It's a matter of perspective, maybe?

  7. #7
    Member Madmatx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    254 (0 Banked)
    I made a chicken casserole last week for dinner and it took about an hour. It only takes like two seconds to make one in game.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Tagamogi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    549
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    85 (1,801 Banked)
    Going back to this: I tried carding cotton in Eltibule this weekend at 40fps, and the auto-repeat there also appeared to be 2 seconds, same as Serbule, so I don't believe it's fps related.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raozum View Post
    A small opinion of mine: Perhaps, it was made such as such to imitate the effort real-world crafting takes, where if ur making, say 50ish strings or something, you might take the effort to manually "craft(click)" them (since the delay will feel "longer" or waste more time then u want to). However, when it comes to really large numbers, and where it takes time for each recipe (example carding 2000+ cotton), the time it takes for the auto-repeat delay in total will have a lesser effect, not in terms of time delay, but how it affects your schedule..instead of afking, for e.g, 1 hour, u might do it for 1.25 hrs, whereas in the previous case it would prob be 20 mins Vs 30 mins. It's a matter of perspective, maybe?
    That's another possibility. I fuzzily remember some previous posts where Citan's talked about saving us from carpal tunnel syndrome, so I think the autorepeat delay is probably more intended as a convenience feature than as a way to discourage players to use autorepeat when they could be clicking by hand.

    In terms of actual time involved: Let's say I have a work order for 10 great cloth shirts. Assuming I start out with carded cotton, perfect cotton and spiderweb, it's going to take me 57 combines to craft the textiles needed to start on the tailoring part ( 15 combines for coarse cotton yarn, 14 for fine cotton yarn, 8 for cotton thread, 20 for voile muslin). If each thread combine takes 3 seconds, it takes 181 seconds aka 3 minutes to make all threads. Adding the autorepeat adds an additional 2 x 57 - 2 x 4 = 106 seconds to time, aka almost 2 minutes. If I include auto-repeat on the tailoring combine itself, that adds another 18 seconds, so actually the total time with autorepeat does add a little bit over 2 minutes to the work order.

    Now, 2 minutes is not a huge amount of time in the grand scheme of things. However, I cannot reasonably afk during this time since I have to switch over to different thread type combines. Making thread ranks as my most boring PG activity as it is - I tend to vaguely stare at my skills and try to think productive thoughts while the thread crunches on. Expanding this period of boredom from 3 to 5 minutes is not something I enjoy.

    Also, if I happen to be doing 4 work orders instead of just 1, the auto-repeat time expands to 8 minutes which is definitely starting to feel like a real time waster to me. It's possible I'm just too impatient, but I just don't see what benefit the auto-repeat delay adds to the game...
    Last edited by Tagamogi; 02-21-2018 at 10:49 AM.

  9. #9
    Junior Member Silkt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    65 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmatx View Post
    I made a chicken casserole last week for dinner and it took about an hour. It only takes like two seconds to make one in game.
    But it doesn't take 7 hours to make 5, if you start with the ingredients and have the cooking space it should take under 2.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Crissa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    790
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    1,824 (750 Banked)
    Auto-repeat also would want to avoid spamming or choking the servers.

    It just seems weirdly slow, especially for some things (like cooking)



Thread Footer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •