First off, I would like to say that Animal Handling is an awesome skill set that is hindered by very interesting mechanics. I just want to repeat that it is not damage that is holding AH back, it is function.

For example:

#1 Pathing
The pet will sometimes linger, walk, or still be bending a corner when you need it most. The range on the pet is just to far, the pet could match the players speed instead, even if looks a little wonky.

1# Aggro

The second thing that makes animal handling, so lack luster is the fact that pets aggro everything in the vicinity. This is annoying but at the same time interesting. I don’t mind the aggro because this game has just the right amount of OVER AGGRO which also makes the game more fun for some reason. I think the easiest choice would be to just make pets non aggro unless they attack something. This would instantly fix all issues towards aggro.

#3 Healing Skill.
Pet handling needs to have some sort of healing skill (mechanism) with the player and the pet.

It hit me that there are two skills that could be modified to fix this issue.

That’ll Do, and Feed Pet should be reworked to heal both player, pet and possibly one of them could even be a group heal. This would sync the animal handling together perfectly. Decent Damage and Moderate Heals.

#4 AOE (Just being greedy)
Maybe each pet could have an AOE that hits 2 mobs at once and with mods that could increase.

I’d like to hear your thoughts fellow players.