Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necromancy Wish List

Hi, I'm Varnoc, and I'm a Necromancer.

This is a list of things for Necromancy that I want changed in some way. I will be suggesting my own changes, as I don't like to complain without offering alternatives, but they may not be the best solution to whatever problem I'm having with a particular ability. If you feel you've got a better idea or alternative to my thoughts, please feel free to respond.

Skeletons

I'll get right down to it: Skeletons feel kinda blah. Necromancy is supposed to be the class for handling multiple minions at a time, and it's great that you have the option to summon multiple Skeletons at a time, but if you want to play in any near-optimal manner, you'll never use two different kinds of Skeletons at the same time.

This occurs for the simple reason that it's inefficient to mod for two skeletons at once. Why would I take -50% Swordsman Rage and +26 Mage Damage, when I could just take two +26 Mage damage and double it's effectiveness by summoning two instead of one?

As long as we're restricted to a set number of mods on our gear (I.E. we always will be), it will always be better to run two of the same kind of Skeleton to double the value of the Mods you DO have, rather than splitting both your mods, and your mod efficency in half, making you 1/4th as effective as you would otherwise be.

What if we did, in theory, split the mods between two Skeleton types? That means less mod spots are available to augment your other abilities, including the ones that help keep your Undead moving, making them easier to kill off. If you've dumped all your mods into these Skeletons, and they die in the middle of a dungeon, you're kinda screwed (less the Free Summon Skeletal Archer, which does alright, but if you don't spec for archers they're effectively useless) because you've poured all of your mods into making them as useful as simply doubling down on a single type.

Alright, supposing you're on board with the idea, what's to be done about it? The way I see it, there's two options:

• Mods that affect Skeletons become more universal.
    • Reduce the number of Skeletons from 2 to 1, increasing it's stats and mod power to compensate.

Of those two, I'm leaning towards the latter. The reason for this being that it would be much easier to manage just one, tougher pet, rather than two, less durable ones, given the limited control we have over our pets currently.

But Varnoc! Necromancy is supposed to be the muti-pet class! Wouldn't this destroy it's identity?!?
    I'm glad you asked!

Zombies

The oft-overlooked "third summon" of Necromancy, I believe that Zombies could fill the "multi-summon" role within Necromancy. Being expendable and plentiful, Zombies could die off here or there and it wouldn't impeded the Necromancer's progress like the death of a Skeleton does currently.

The general gist of this is as follows: The Necromancer and their one Super-Skeleton would be capable of killing the initial creatures in a dungeon, whereupon the Necromancer would raise limited-duration Zombies to really get rolling along, murdering things and acting as disposable meat-shields (as you would expect them to be treated). The total number of Zombies could be limited in two ways:

• Soft Cap - Zombies would have their health decay at an ever-increasing rate, making them eventually impossible to maintain through the Necromancer's healing skills. This method can create interesting situations when multiple Necromancers are involved.
    • Hard Cap - A hard, no more than X Zombies, rule, keeping the current minor health decay. This one's a bit more boring, but more consistent if the Necromancer goes for a longer period of time without killing something, or finding a body.

I prefer the former, given that it would encourage group Necromancy play to a high degree, giving the game just a little more group-interaction.

Under this system for Zombies, however, the ability "Create Super Zombie" would likely need to be removed or re-purposed. The reasoning behind this would be that Zombies are intended to be disposable, and dedicating an entire ability to upgrading temporary pet seems redundant. It could be turned into some sort of super-heal for your solitary Skeleton, given that the regular AoE heals probably won't do much for them.

If you go with a hard cap for zombies though, you could probably keep "Create Super Zombie", as Zombies become a little more permanent so long as you maintain them.

In either case though, Zombies becoming the major "Holy crap that's a lot of minions" of Necromancy makes more sense than Skeletons at this point, and keeps Necromancers engaged in summoning and cycling through bodies, like you would expect of a Necromancer.

Misc.

1. If we move to a system where only one Skeleton is active at a time, giving us the ability to customize their abilities would be great. How this is achieved could be as simple as purchasing them from a trainer, but the possibilities are interesting. (Skeletal Warrior = Sword, Hammer, Shield) : (Skeletal Rogue = Archery, Knife Fighting) : (Skeletal Mage = Fire Magic, Ice Magic, Mentalism).
    2. Wave of Darkness could use a way to re-direct the taunt effect somehow, being able to direct all the taunting onto your Skeletal Swordsman (Warrior) would go a long way to helping those of us that want to tank with him.
    3. Necromancy Base Bamage increases don't do anything to increase the damage of summons, and for a skill that's pretty focused on summons to deal damage that feels off.

Conclusion

Thank you for reading through my ramblings. I hope something in here spurs some thought, and maybe results in better ideas than those presented here.

(Note to Citan: Spark of Death, Life Steal, Heal Undead, Rebuild Undead, Provoke Undead and Death's Hold all feel much better to use than they did some time back, before the last major skill/mod update, thank you!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Could maybe have mods which affect a class of summon like Skeleton in general then also introduce more classes of summon. You mentioned a limited-life zombie but you could also have a spirit (ghost) type that may not hit hard but has lots of damage mitigation cuz they're ethereal. Spirits could fall in ghost, poltergeist ranges. Shades and Wights could be another summon type. Banshees with a debuff scream. etc

Having a general class mod could help with deciding to use a tankier spirit, support banshee, general purpose skeleton.
    Last edited by kell.shepherd; 01-20-2017 at 12:08 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i dont think limiting number of sceletons would be good idea. AH alredy covers version of one strong pet, and if compesation for necromancy would be few disposable zombies... well i dont think it would be that good.

I would suggest doing something opposite - increae number of sceletons you can summon. And, in order to make mixing them more appeling/viable, two things could done:
    1) limit number of teh same type skeletons you can summon. So for example you can have 4 sceleton, but only 2 of the same type.
    2) Add synergy between diffrent types of summons. For exampel mods that cause one type of skeletons atatcks, buff other type. Or maybe mods that give every skeleton bonus that goes stronger the more diffrent summons you have.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Increasing the number of Skeletons only exacerbates the issue in my opinion. The reason summoning different Skeletons doesn't work right now is because you've got a limited number of mod slots (3 per gear slot, realistically) that you can work with. Given this restriction, it's simply not possible to evenly spread your mods over two (or three) kinds of skeleton while having enough left over to spend on your other skills (Including the ones that heal/buff your undead), meaning that if your Skeletons kick the bucket for whatever reason, you've got nothing to fall back on until you find/make another graveyard to re-summon.

Mods that affect more than one skeleton type are a possibility, but the reason I went with Zombies is because you're actively raising the dead on a regular basis, which feels more Necromancylike than the one off Skeleton summons we have currently.

If Skeleton summoning was more flexible, and the mods were a bit more general, I'd agree completely cr00cy. Without changing much else though, (because I know Citan has a million and one other things to do) I think Zombies with a single super Skeleton is a good short-term fix, while testing out the idea of multi-zombies in the process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhhh, necromancy should 100% increase skeleton damage. If it doesnt then what is the point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the power of Necromancy, I command this thread, to RISE!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varnoc View Post
    Hi, I'm Varnoc, and I'm a Necromancer.
    Hi, I'm Tsugu and I'm an alcoholic.

"Hi, I'm Doug Stanhope and that's why I drink."
    - When you wanted a lot of Gene Wilder gifs, (Wonka.. obvs), but instead have to attend a funeral for the signature section. Rest in RIP, RIP in Piece o'ever-lasting cake. -

(Pssst . . . https://media.giphy.com/media/5ZYlp0bF7qMBa/giphy.gif . . . You're welcome . . .)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking... Shouldn't skeleton bonus stacking be more... Finiky? Right now they straight stack which seems weird.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    * I don't want to reduce the number of skeletons. I'd love a third skellie (maybe in later tiers?)

* I would like some generic skellie mods and some specialized skellie mods that didn't stack with each other.

* I would like the skellies to have different, interesting buffs/debuffs that work together. Maybe the caster skellies could cast a debuff for piercing damage, which would increase the damage of the archer skellies. Do a rock-paper-scissors thing: casters buff archers who buff warriors who buff casters. AH pets work in tandem with their handlers. Let the skellies work in tandem with each other.

Thread Footer