Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me that, especially with an upcoming steam release, the game should at least look to mitigate ways players can actively hinder newbies.

This just seems like an oversight, and likely the exception because I can't really imagine any other ways to influence another player's journey negatively beyond this sort of thing (maybe the cauldrons, but they're pretty ominous, I guess.) - Most items inform the player that there is a potential consequence on use, not for just picking it up.

Anyway, the obvious solution in this situation would be to simply make it so picking up yellow crystals requires X mining skill: "You require at least level 25 mining to pick that item up."

I'd guess as time goes on this sort of thing would become more common, so it makes sense to introduce a safeguard sooner rather than later.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxlazr View Post
    Anyway, the obvious solution in this situation would be to simply make it so picking up yellow crystals requires X mining skill: "You require at least level 25 mining to pick that item up."
    Yeah, that's a good idea. Enough that someone won't be a newbie to the 'everything can blow up in your face' aspect. And perhaps high enough that they could at least travel to where a cure was, even if it wouldn't be someplace they'd normally hang out.

I've seen newbies get ravaged by other curses, too, and while I've felt that crushing despair of having a debuff from a boss when I either fell out of a group or the group disbanded...

Maybe give lower-level players an emote cue (like that blaring horns but less scary) for when they've got one of the weird debuffs? Or let other players see the debuffs on someone so we could try to help a little better?

Not being able to see people's buffs and debuffs is something I miss from other games.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think that's bad,you'll get a kick out of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_T...-air_collision

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a new player too but i actually find it very fun to have a game with a lot of mysteries, but i agree that dangerous items should have some kind of warning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mysteries are one thing. But flat out items that can smack a noob down is just wrong IMO.

I agree there should be some warning like how Buried in Time did in some parts, when you are about to do something stupid, and your companion is like .. "If you do that, you're gonna poke your eye out .." and if ignored, you slide and get impaled on a row of spears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In response to the OP, I think this is why the game is so appealing to us. It’s like being a child and learning the hard way that when you touch something hit, you get burned. After that? You probably won’t touch the hot thing again. Of course your case is a little different because someone played a dirty trick but did it hinder you long-term or was it just one annoying occurrence?

As others have said in this post, this game is definitely an homage to the old games that a lot of us grew up with and less so in regards to the modern MMO’s. Many of us love it but it’s definitely a niche game. I’ve been here about a week and have loved the experience. The community has also been the most helpful community that I’ve seen so far.

In closing, I hope that you give the game another shot because as you said, you want to like it. Lean on your resources(wiki and other players) and see if you can get your fun out of it. I’m confident that you can. If you have any questions, I’m very far from an expert due to lack of experience but I’d be glad to help out where I can, so feel free to contact me here or in game(same name) and I’ll do what I can.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A situation like that can be frustrating, but at the same time I think you have to realize that it was partially caused by a player, not just by the game. Your feedback is valuable because it alerts designers to a possible flaw. Maybe they could add an explanation the first (or more) times you die from this situation. "You died from a mysterious illness. I wonder if it was caused by that odd crystal you picked up? Maybe you should throw it back on the ground. Hint: here is how to drop items....."

Myself, i started playing last night and I'm having a great time. I have a lot of game experience, playing various games, eq for 10 years, owning game stores for 30 years, and doing a lot of playtesting. At the stage this game is in, I think they've done a great job. Alpha is a stage where you can expect things that are unacceptable in a released game. (Or used to be unacceptable, how many new games have horrible bugs these days? ).

Take a deep breath, realize you helped with development, got some death exp, and get on with playing.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A higher level player would know most of the diseases and afflictions or how to search or cure them.

It's really only needed for when low-level players encounter things that are dangerous.

We do have the boss klaxxons and such; we don't need to hold hands, but...

(I really love/hate the klaxxons because they always give me an adrenaline rush.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the Op , please remember every new experience is to your benefit to your exp . yes a valuable lesson was learned . This game offers no hand holding . but did you read what says when you picked it up ? when you died I am sure you gained exp from that death . it also stated what you died from . so if you want to drop a item causing you to die [[[ simply click item and drop it ]]] ... I truly hope you give the game another chance because it really is a great game . perhaps flaws and things that might need changing , but the true exp comes from death and learning . this game with all its blessings and flaws is still in alpha and with every person playing who not only submits suggestion or bugs helps not hinders the experience
    I was on when you picked it up . you seemed extremely upset others mentioned to drop it . perhaps reading all and everything might have helped or listening to the offered help of others . I am positive if you try again you will find PG is a awesome game . with many willing to not only help you but advance your character . I have always found in the 4 plus years . That not only are those in charge of developing the game helpful willing to offer suggestion but the community as well .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember in UO making trapped boxes and bags and leaving them laying around and watching noobs open them and die. That's the nature of a sandbox.

Thread Footer