Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

Citan

Dev Notes, June 6, 2017

Rate this Entry
A quick "I'm not dead" blog post today.

This week I'm working through a bunch of data bugs and we'll have a hotfix update tomorrow or Friday. (Hotfixes don't require a new client download, and only have a minute of down-time for the server, so we just put them up whenever they're ready.) There are a bunch of rabbit-ability-related fixes, plus some changes to food and item drops, and lots of other little things that have been collecting back here.

Global Storage Access

The latest update gives you access to all the storage in a city from one fixed location. The idea is just to simplify inventory management, and as I mentioned in the last blog post, you'll eventually have this kind of unified access from any storage NPC, rather than having to go to one fixed spot (like the bookshelf in Serbule).

But there was a surprise side-effect. And I love when that happens! It means the design is working: the game is becoming complex enough that even I can't keep track of every way that different systems can interact. But I guess I probably should have spotted this one, since players noticed it within minutes: with the new storage access points, animal-form players can access storage from NPCs that don't talk to animals.

I'm considering this a bug, but I haven't fixed it for the upcoming hotfix. I'm still mulling the pros and cons here. On the one hand, I don't want to let animal-form players have access to those storage containers because it means there's a "right" way to play animal forms: first you should unlock all the storage with all the NPCs everywhere, and only then should you become an animal, because you'll still have access to the unlocked storage. That design sucks! I don't want people to feel like they're playing "wrong" like that: "oh, you became an animal without reaching Soul Mates with X, Y, and Z? Ha ha noob, you should quit animal form and go do that first." Ugh. And when I add more NPCs, would those players feel compelled to stop being an animal and unlock those NPCs' storage? Probably.

But on the other hand, I don't really mind if animals can access additional storage. There's lots of other features of the NPCs that they're still missing out on... and storage is really important. Animals do have some storage of their own, but in total it's not as much as regular players have.

Of course, the "obvious" thing to do would be to let animal-form players unlock all the storage in the game. But that's not gonna happen: too much scripting work. (And that would mean animals would have MORE storage than regular people: animal-only storage plus all the regular storage. That seems dumb, too.)

So right now it seems like something that I need to fix... but I'm interested in your thoughts on this before I do so.

Weekend Events

This last weekend's event, Garden Invasion, was something new for us. Most every "weekend event" so far has just been a buff or two, or perhaps a wandering NPC that shows up to give out special items. Nothing too fancy. But Garden Invasion actually changed how the game plays, in a very specific way, for a limited time.

This UPCOMING weekend will also have a new event. It's smaller in scope than Garden Invasion, and it doesn't have a new skill to unlock, but it does show another direction that we can take these events, and I hope you enjoy it.

After the weekend is over, I'll create a forum thread to get ideas about other events we can do in the same vein. I like these more-intricate events. They're a fun change of pace, and I want to create a bunch more of them... but I have to admit I've been drawing a blank when trying to come up with good ideas that don't require a ton of new tech. So I'm hoping I can use your brainstormed ideas as a jumping-off point.

That's about it for now. I'm still neck-deep in bugs here, but I'll hopefully have something more sexy to talk about next week!

Discuss this blog post here: https://forum.projectgorgon.com/show...es-June-6-2017
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Project: Gorgon

Comments