PDA

View Full Version : Question to Skill Makers.

MorKazim
09-26-2017, 12:16 AM
Some help please.

Can you please tell me, why you have made many crafting skills (like Augmentation) with many sub-skills instead of using just 2 to 3 skills in the skill tree.
To explain: the Weapon Augmentation has
3 Decompose skills, 3 extract & 3 undo… the hole skill tree could be only 3 skills and let the system decide the result.
This system is used in all (many) crafting skills you have. Why is that? Does it fulfill a purpose?

Thank you.

(Note: I love the game. I just don’t understand some inefficient ways of doing things…)

Crissa
09-26-2017, 12:56 AM
Apparently that's the way they choose to gate and change the xp gain per function.

No, I don't understand, either.

But Citan explained it here: https://forum.projectgorgon.com/showthread.php?703-Augmentation-and-Transmutation-Changes

MorKazim
09-26-2017, 01:03 AM
hi there...

what Citan explained was how Augment work. what I would like to know is why there are so many skills in a Skill Tree instead of having (in the Augemnt example) 3 skills. it is the same with all the crafting skills...

thank you.

MorKazim
09-26-2017, 01:07 AM
a skill tree should have unique skills and not copies of skills (Undo Augment on Main-Hand Weapon - Undo Augment on Off-Hand Weapon - Undo Augment on Gloves ) -> "Undo Augment"

Citan
09-26-2017, 07:13 AM
Nah, this is a case where it makes sense to have them separated. Much like we won't have one skill to make armor and weapons at the same time, we won't have a skill that augments all the slots at the same time. In some cases balance is much more important than the "fiction".

The idea that, say, a leathersmith naturally can't also make swords is a fiction that happens to be useful for balance purposes. Leatherworkers obviously aren't metalsmiths, right? Even though, realistically speaking, the two skills will have very similar recipes.

In this case, there's no real-world comparison to augmentation, and it seemed pointlessly complicated to try to invent four totally unique fictions. So there's one. But for balance purposes, they are separate skills and I want players to choose them separately. That's just the way it has to go sometimes to make balance work.

Crissa
09-26-2017, 03:21 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure what having different skills in the same tree that do essentially the same thing really is for. Having to pick the right level/rarity recipe for transmutation decomposition is just messy. It could be gated by skill level or recipes that supersede the prior one.

Oops, I dropped the green item on the blue recipe is kinda... I dunno. Scrolling for scrolling's sake?

INXS
09-26-2017, 04:01 PM
I was surprised by the splitting of the augmentation and transmutation, its like before was a rough and now is a very fine defined apparatus, so what you got to look at a few options more to pick from, it makes sense to me and i happen to like it better.

MorKazim
09-26-2017, 10:19 PM
Nah, this is a case where it makes sense to have them separated. Much like we won't have one skill to make armor and weapons at the same time, we won't have a skill that augments all the slots at the same time. In some cases balance is much more important than the "fiction".

The idea that, say, a leathersmith naturally can't also make swords is a fiction that happens to be useful for balance purposes. Leatherworkers obviously aren't metalsmiths, right? Even though, realistically speaking, the two skills will have very similar recipes.

In this case, there's no real-world comparison to augmentation, and it seemed pointlessly complicated to try to invent four totally unique fictions. So there's one. But for balance purposes, they are separate skills and I want players to choose them separately. That's just the way it has to go sometimes to make balance work.

Hail Citan!

I really can see the problem (why can't be less recipes for some skills), what is the balance problem to have 1 recipe for all the Decompose instad for 3...

but you are the King.
:D

thank you for answering the question :)