PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: PvP Ideas

metaquad4
09-12-2017, 09:16 PM
From what I understand, PvP is a really only accessed from a basement in Serbule. Here are some ideas I stewed up on the bus home, regarding possible PvP.

1) More arenas for PvP.

Arenas can provide good fun for the community, as well as providing events as well (PvP ladders, etc.) that the community can host for itself. We already have at-least one arena in Serbule, but it is rather out of the way from what I understand. I would propose that there we a more accessible arena, with a stadium for observers (and possibly room in the stadium for food vendors?).

In addition, perhaps zones where PvP is enabled.

2) A dueling system.

This can be introduced, for the sake of random fun and also as a tool for RPers (for when characters get into conflict). A button could be pressed while "examining" another character to ask for initiation into a PvP duel. Pretty simple (I think?), and it be fairly good.

3) Outfit/Faction Based PvP.

In a similar vein to blade and soul, where there are multiple NPC faction-based outfits. For example, you might have a basic Serbule guard outfit and a bandit outfit. The two factions would be in conflict with each other, so players wearing either outfit would be in conflict with each-other. The outfit would likely be cosmetic (or it could override the player's stats, as a way to standardize gear for PvP). Essentially, when your player wears a uniform they are seen as part of that faction. NPCs that are opposed to that faction might attack you, as would players who are wearing opposing faction's outfits. In order to obtain an outfit, perhaps a player would have to befriend an NPC member of the faction.

4) Guild vs Guild PvP.

A system where guilds can go to war with each other (perhaps at the expense of resources for the faction declaring war, to "keep the war machine rolling"). Members of guilds who are at war with each other would be free to PvP each other openly, so long as the war remained active.

----------------------

Ultimately, I think with any or a combination of the above systems, we could create a PvP system where players are free to choose if they desire to engage in PvP or if they don't.

Regarding Balance:
Coming from a history of playing games with unbalanced PvP (like neverwinter nights 1 and 2), I don't think that balancing PvP is actually necessary at all for PvP to be enjoyable or "fair". I've found that in most games, PvP is a matter of player skill, knowing how to counter play actions, and having strength in numbers, rather than having "the most OP build". Most balance in PvP, from what I've observed, isn't really balance at all. It is simply an endless stream of nerfing and buffing rather, to keep what is "most OP" in flux. I've played games where they weren't balanced for PvP, and it is just as fun as the games where it is "balanced" for PvP. So really, there doesn't need to be much work for that department imo. It can still stay a "PvE game with PvP tacked on" and still be fun for PvP.

Greyfyn
09-13-2017, 12:22 AM
Here is a link to some formative comments Citan made about PVP: https://forum.projectgorgon.com/showthread.php?311-PVP-Old-Forum-Discussion