PDA

View Full Version : Animal-Only Guild

Oxlazr
08-31-2017, 11:12 PM
So I've tried a few times before in vein to get something akin to this started, but I figured I'd try one last time with some easier to adhere to rules.

I'd like to start a guild with a few restrictions:

1) You must always be in animal form.
2) Your animal form must be randomly assigned.

This guild isn't intended for main characters (though it can be!) and I'd like someone else to be guild master. I'm interested in seeing if playing a single-animal form exclusively can be viable & fun, without relying on decursing to get by. It's not particularly fun to do this sort of thing alone, though.

Khaylara
09-04-2017, 12:29 PM
Except lycan I didn't like animal forms. Even motivated by cheesemaking bonus points I was unable to level cow without going brain dead. But there are players who enjoy exclusively animal form, the only problem atm though is server population. You can't make a guild out of 4-5 people who are already in guilds (many of them). It's a great idea and I believe it's intended for us to have animal only guilds but - like many other things like a real market- it's probably not the best time to do it due to low population. When they launch beta it would probably be the optimal time to test this.

PS-even if I wanted to I don't have character slots. I made an alt account for anagoge testing but if i'm to play as animal i don't want to be locked out of my animal alt account when they steam launch.

Oxlazr
09-04-2017, 07:07 PM
My main issue with the whole animal-form dilemma is that decursing/recursing really becomes core to the experience and it makes the whole process pretty tedious. I've said this before, but my initial experience with the cow curse when I was actually stuck as an animal was more enjoyable than when I could freely decurse/recurse, as it just felt like arbitrarily restricting access to my main combat skill.

I was hoping that having a guild might help incentivise players to adapt their play-style by having extra motivation to stay in an animal form, rather than rely on careful planning for storage and NPC interaction. (Hence why I think it'd be good if there were some way to restrict trading to members of the guild only, and have players always be in animal form from creation) - but even then, I'm not convinced that playing an animal full-time on a main really offers enough content or enough uniqueness to ever be more than a gimmick.

Regardless, we're here to test stuff - and I'd like to have a reason to make a new character and try all the new level content without going through and steamrolling it on a high level character. Likewise, I don't like leveling new skillsets from 1 without being a fresh character - you have bonus hp, gourmand, all that stuff, plus people often just use animal handling to power level regardless. It's just more of a chore, and less of a game. I mostly want reasons to play new characters.

The limited character slots & small community do really put a stopper in this sort of thing taking off, though. 4-5 people being interested would be all we'd need, though.

Atis
09-04-2017, 11:45 PM
Specism! I'm offended. Humans are also mammals. Elves probably too. #intelligentlifematters (https://forum.projectgorgon.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=intelligentlifematters)

Oxlazr
09-05-2017, 06:03 PM
Specism! I'm offended. Humans are also mammals. Elves probably too. #intelligentlifematters (https://forum.projectgorgon.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=intelligentlifematters)

Try telling that to the majority of the NPCs >:(

Prios
09-22-2017, 02:34 AM
I know this is both derailing and necroposting (eeek!) but I think it might be fun to have a guild where strictly humanoid-only players "adopt" strictly animal-only players. (Or vice versa I guess.) With population as low as it is the "adoptions" could just be ad-hoc and formed and broken based on whoever happens to be on.

Oxlazr
10-11-2017, 05:08 AM
I know this is both derailing and necroposting (eeek!) but I think it might be fun to have a guild where strictly humanoid-only players "adopt" strictly animal-only players. (Or vice versa I guess.) With population as low as it is the "adoptions" could just be ad-hoc and formed and broken based on whoever happens to be on.

A little late here, but that's not a bad idea - especially insofar as it's more flexible & makes some degree of sense given talking animals are considered familiars by most NPCs.

Still, without some sort of progression or mechanics to make things interesting, I doubt many people would stick with it. It'd be an interesting social experiment if nothing else - and, after all, that's the main benefit to MMOs; you've got a community and you want mechanics that encourage social interaction.

At this stage, I figure this sort of thing will need to be delayed until the game has a bit more polish and there's more consistently active players.