PDA

View Full Version : monthly reminder: evasion is god

Roekai
08-29-2017, 06:04 PM
10% miss chance for every skills (except aoe) for PCs and MOBs.

make miss chance be the EQ equivalent of attack speed, and make some sort of FBSS equivalent.

bring back evasion, and make miss chance mods god.

kazeandi
08-29-2017, 06:11 PM
No thanks. Chance removes tactical gameplay.

Tagamogi
08-29-2017, 08:07 PM
I feel the current evasion is in a good spot. Enough mobs evade that it makes for a situational challenge (especially when those pesky ghosts evade my stun), but having every mob evade would get annoying.

Now, if you as a player want to evade more, take up knife and use blur cut. ;)

Roekai
08-30-2017, 03:54 AM
easiest way to reduce DPS on all fronts without making fundamental changes to the game.

nobody likes to be nerfed, but i think, while "annoying," i think it would improve tactical gameplay by extending fights therefore forcing the need for specific roles more, and reducing the power of the DPS guy (because when you do 3x as much damage as a tank, the nerf hits you 3x harder)

kazeandi
08-30-2017, 04:13 AM
With evasion, you lay the outcome of fights into the hands of RNGesus. I'd absolutely hate that.

cr00cy
08-30-2017, 08:19 AM
There was time when every mob had evasion. I dotn recall single person saying it was good, so Citan change dit so that only some mobs has it - which works much better.

Like everyone else said - addign such rng element to fight is TERRIBLE idea, especialy when only way to surrive long fights is to not let fight drag on.

Roekai
09-01-2017, 07:53 AM
With evasion, you lay the outcome of fights into the hands of RNGesus. I'd absolutely hate that.

On the contrary.

Unless you are a glass cannon (which Citan has said multiple times he does not want; he wanted sustained battles with power management as the primary factor in deciding the outcome of a battle), Evasion would do nothing of the sort.

If there was a flat 10% evasion (on both creatures and PCs) it would literally force people away from quick fights, so you weren't in the hands of RNGesus (a glass cannon build would still be viable, but only as a group option).

For starters, the PC is going to take 10% less damage.

And you can totally mitigate RNGesus by having a variety of effective skills, rather than one or two money DPS skills. If you have 10 skills and 2 of them deal 80% of your damage, and you have zero mods that restore armor or health or any other type of sustain, yeah, the nerf is gunna suck. Tough luck though. Combat is not meant to be over in one quick burst of DPS (which, if evaded even once, will lead to the PC death).

My skills all do roughly the same amount of damage (save for bodyslam and finishing blow) and i have so much healing, armor regen, damage mitigation, power regen, and things such as snacks and healing runes that when I am soloing in Gaz i could totally afford to miss my big attacks and still surivive; it would just prolong the battle.

Long story short, if you are playing the game wrong then yes you will be subject to RNGesus but if you play the way the game is intended to be played and will eventually be forced to be played, you wont have an issue.

I was a vocal supporter of evasion - it literally did not effect me at all. if anything, with PC evasion i would get a buff, rather than a nerf.

kazeandi
09-01-2017, 03:34 PM
You don't take 10% less damage, that's the fallacy here.
You have a 10% chance of taking 0 damage.

While that might mean in an endless fight that over time, odds will even out to 10% less damage, in the real world it would look like this:

hit-hit-hit-hit-hit-hit-dead
miss-miss-miss-miss-miss-miss-dead

Factor in the chance to hit/get hit critically and you'll see where this goes.

Evasion is a terrible mechanic.