PDA

View Full Version : Moon phases

Niph
08-27-2017, 07:05 AM
In Project:Gorgon phases of the Moon have a special significance. Most players (with a character cursed with lycanthropy in particular) know about the full moon effects, but there is more.

* In Eltibule, strange statues open the way to the Dark Chapel, a difficult level 50 dungeon. There are 8 statues, and only one will send you to the dungeon when you insert a Gulagra's Key. Which one depends on the current phase of the Moon.

* When growing mushrooms in boxes, they grow differently depending on the Moon phase. For each mushroom type, there are two preferred phases when they grow robustly. When this happens, the box returns more mushroom, and therefore gives more XP.

* Some teleportation recipes can send you from a mushroom circle to another, but they usually have a long refresh time. Except if you use the right recipe for the current Moon phase, in which case the refresh time is dramatically reduced.

To know which phase of the Moon is current, there is a low level recipe called "Moon Phase Check" that can be found in the wolf cave in Kur Moutains. This recipe will also tell you the remaining time before full moon. However, it doesn't tell you the time remaining before the next phase, or where the statue leading to the Dark Chapel is located. The time to the next phase is particularly useful because some mushrooms can take a long time to grow -sometimes a full day, and you might want to plan ahead to obtain the best results.

To help with this, I've created a small Windows app, that goes on the taskbar, and displays all kind of info related to the Moon phases. You can find it at this link (https://github.com/dlebansais/PgMoon/releases).

A full explanation of what it does, with screenshots, and the source code, is available here (https://github.com/dlebansais/PgMoon/blob/master/README.md).

For Window 10 users, if the app icon doesn't appear on the taskbar when you run the app, it's because you have many such icons, and it has been grouped with others outside the notification area. You can force it to show up in the taskbar settings (right-click the taskbar, choose "Settings", "Select which icons appear on the taskbar").

A note regarding the formula for calculating the current phase: as far as I can tell, it changes from one phase to the next at midnight EST, and this made it difficult for me to figure out the correct forumla to use, because it doesn't really follow the IRL moon pattern. For example, it could be GMT-4 instead and I can only know that when winter comes (and being euro I'm not familiar with US time zone seasonal changes). So, my result could be easily off by one day sometimes. But I hope to get it right eventually.

kazeandi
08-27-2017, 07:32 AM
Downside to this moon circle stuff is, the next fullmoon will fall in the middle of the week, where I'm busy with work to the point that 1 hour after work will be pushing it for me. Means, doing all the quests to unlock Lycan 70 will be problematic :/

cr00cy
08-27-2017, 08:22 AM
Downside to this moon circle stuff is, the next fullmoon will fall in the middle of the week, where I'm busy with work to the point that 1 hour after work will be pushing it for me. Means, doing all the quests to unlock Lycan 70 will be problematic :/

Well unlockign lv 70 cost 3 tokens so its 3 quests. Each skill cost 2 - and just so you knwo you wont be able to unlock them all in one full moon - even if you do all quests. So dont stress it too much.

kazeandi
08-27-2017, 08:25 AM
At least the Wolfsbane quest can be prepared beforehand, that's worth a lot.

srand
08-27-2017, 10:17 AM
Oh my gods, Niph! This is wonderful!

I especially love the statue diagram at the top - I installed before I read the overview, and when I figured out what that was I burst out laughing. But for me, the mushroom list (and attached comment fields) look incredibly useful. I'm looking forward to trying this out!

Niph
08-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Glad you liked it. :)

I would have used little statues and a nicer background for Eltibule features, but I don't use art without permission. :)

Daguin
09-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Necroing this thread to ask Niph if the statue locations in the PGMoon app have been updated (or if they even need to be) since Eltibule was rotated? It's easy enough to figure out if not, just curious.

This remains my favorite app by far, and has been a great help for mushroom farming in particular. Thank you for putting it all together!

Niph
09-17-2018, 01:04 PM
Necroing this thread to ask @Niph (https://forum.projectgorgon.com/member.php?u=80) if the statue locations in the PGMoon app have been updated (or if they even need to be) since Eltibule was rotated? It's easy enough to figure out if not, just curious.

This remains my favorite app by far, and has been a great help for mushroom farming in particular. Thank you for putting it all together!

Yes, I've updated it shortly after the change. I just updated links in the original post too for convenience.

Maeglin
09-18-2018, 02:06 PM
Very nice, Niph! Now if we just had an app on the taskbar that would show our four toon's inventory by storage location/NPC. Probably a) Prohibited b) Too big a project c) Impossible with the current tech d) All of the above.

Ashreon
09-18-2018, 07:24 PM
I'd say impossible with the current tech.
As far as I know the game does not feature an API.

As an example, since drops are not stored in the game files the JSON app can't tell you which mob drops what or how often. I would expect that what you are storing is similarly server sided.

Also, Niph..

I would suggest adding an easier way of spotting which Shrooms grow well in a certain moon period.
- While I like the scrolling list, I think being able to see which Shrooms grow robustly and which grows poorly in the current moonphase rather than being bolded in the list would be.. easier? It could, probably be added to the box in-between current and upcoming moonphases and next phase box.
The list can be kept of course as a way of prepping yourself for the next phase.

Niph
09-19-2018, 01:40 AM
I'd say impossible with the current tech.
As far as I know the game does not feature an API.

As an example, since drops are not stored in the game files the JSON app can't tell you which mob drops what or how often. I would expect that what you are storing is similarly server sided.

You could probably do it sniffing packets, if you allow the sniffer to run 24/7 on your computer. But that's not allowed (the sniffer, that is).

Also, Niph..

I would suggest adding an easier way of spotting which Shrooms grow well in a certain moon period.
- While I like the scrolling list, I think being able to see which Shrooms grow robustly and which grows poorly in the current moonphase rather than being bolded in the list would be.. easier? It could, probably be added to the box in-between current and upcoming moonphases and next phase box.
The list can be kept of course as a way of prepping yourself for the next phase.

I think I see what you mean, it's probably doable but the idea behind the app was to let people set it themselves. Noting which moonphase is bold on the right, you could see what are corresponding mushrooms growing robustly.
I could also add it to the tooltip, but there is no room for that (it's a limitation of Windows). I'll think about adding the separate box you suggest.

Daguin
09-19-2018, 11:00 AM
I think being able to see which Shrooms grow robustly and which grows poorly in the current moonphase rather than being bolded in the list would be.. easier?

This already exists if you hover cursor over the current moon phase in the app (in bold)

Ashreon
09-19-2018, 03:20 PM
This already exists if you hover cursor over the current moon phase in the app (in bold)

Oh, I didn't know that one existed :). Cheers!

However, being the super lazy guy I am, I'd still prefer it was visible without having to do anything xD. But the other will work just fine as well ;).