PDA

View Full Version : Notoriety & Potential Hardcore Challenges

Oxlazr
07-29-2017, 07:06 PM
So when trying to play perma-death characters using /behaviorreport & /restrict, there's one problem that quickly becomes apparent with the game's design:

You can out-grind the difficulty on lower level monsters.

Right now, I could, in theory, just grind fae until level 60-70 and never be likely to die. It's not particularly exciting.

Compared to the initial experience - a fresh character could easily die - until about level 20 things could get pretty dicey if you weren't careful. Beyond that, you could grind quests for xp, or otherwise stick with stuff you know you can beat - risking the goblins can be pretty handy, though.

Anyways, it quickly goes back to "when" rather than "if" - where most of the fun comes from the "if" you'll reach X level, rather than "when".

If it ever gets to the stage where such a mode would officially be supported, I think it'd be good to have notoriety restrict your level capability in all skills.

For example, You can level up to 20 freely. To level beyond 20, you must have 10 notoriety. To level past 30, you must have 15 notoriety - and so on.

Naturally, you'd only gain notoriety if you're the only one to damage a named monster.

The last Hardcore Challenge having a time-limit on it kind of killed it, in my opinion - but some sort of leaderboard would be a huge incentive for players to participate as well.

Selecting various options at character creation would really help reinforce these play-style options.
i.e. "Permanent Death" "Hardcore Enabled" "Cannot Decurse" "Permanent Animal" - etc.

Also, regardless of potential hardcore challenges, I think Winter Court armour really needs an endurance requirement.
...also, lootable tombstones.

I don't really expect any of these changes as they're particularly niche but I figured I'd throw them out there anyway.

Asashoryu
07-30-2017, 09:11 AM
Alternatively, they could periodically gate leveling skills behind requiring players to post a video of someone kicking them in the groin... because, you know, *hardcore*. ; )