PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Mixed Skill (i.e. Fire Magic + Sword Skills)

jitsujin
07-26-2017, 02:45 PM
I've been going though the suggestion threads and I don't think I've seen anyone suggest having skills that have elements of two things.

I mainly got this idea off of some anime and manga; my first source of my idea was in the anime/manga Fairy Tail the main character Natsu is a mage who uses the Fire Dragon Slayer Magic (I'm just summing it off for those non-Fairy Tail viewers) however he eventually absorbs a Lightning Dragon Slayer's Magic and can use 'Lightning Flame Dragon' Magic skills. I think the game RIFT does this to a certain extent but I believe this game can do this better.
The second source of my idea was this manga called Only Sense Online where the main character had this skill called Hawk-eye or something and also had an enchant skill. These both had an effect on each other i.e. Hawk-eye allowed the player to enchant things at a longer distance as long as it was visible, but I'm not asking to do something like this.
The way I want to offer to implement this into the game is just adding more skills which require a certain level of two things i.e. having Fire Magic and Sword at lvl 20 could unlock 'Flame Swing' (not good at naming, sorry) with DoT dealing damage and reducing rage by a certain amount for a few seconds.
This would add more variety into a characters skill set as skills are not really fixed but preferred and the game can be even more detailed and grindy I believe by being able to add more requirements to things. This would also allow a new range of quests specific to certain levels of skill sets i.e. more hidden quests along with hidden skills to be obtained. Due to the unique combat system I think this is very possible but the coding may take a while. Thanks for reading this suggestion.

Asashoryu
07-26-2017, 04:20 PM
You wouldn't need skills necessarily... you could implement it as item enchantments. A +fire damage on a sword with sword and fire magic skill prerequisites as an example. Or, a +AE effect applied to a single target psych skill as an enchantment for items with psych and mentalism prerequisites as another.

Of course, the game probably need another balance pass or three on existing skills and enchantments before such hybrid enchantments further unbalance things.

Crissa
07-26-2017, 04:33 PM
Oh, yeah, like there's gloves that enable area effect or add fire bonus damage or something to a skill.

Requiring the skill to unlock it would be kinda neat, give reason for really broad characters to do neat stuff with unlikely combinations of abilities.

Like say deer shoes that require twenty fire skill and are always on fire or something.

kazeandi
07-28-2017, 09:03 AM
Bonus damage from another element would also help with resistances and immunities.

Sasaki
07-29-2017, 09:45 AM
Enchant ability. The next elemental damage ability cast is instead infused into your weapon, on the next skill used by that weapon, it also receives that spells effects. The weapon would glow the color of the element.

So for example Enchant>Heat breath. Sword now enchanted with heat breath. So now if you used say Sword slash, it'd to the sword damage, and also fire damage and a burning damage over time.

There could be gear that specifically complements this, and it could give rise to a really cool spell-blade style of gameplay. Maybe gear that makes the effect last for multiple hits, makes the effect stronger, etc.