PDA

View Full Version : NPCs and backface culling

Crissa
07-10-2017, 02:09 PM
I've heard other people having problems with this, but it's really driving me batty.

I'm borrowing a PC to play lately - it's a 6-core i7 with 64G RAM and an nVidia 1080 built for VR development.

...And when I'm in Serb, and I come around a corner where there are NPCs, I find my ability to turn just totally goes away. This only happens when there's a series of walls obscuring some number of NPCs. Sometimes even auto-path will flip me around backwards.

Now, I understand why this happens on my Air - it's got an Intel HD 5000 and only a G of video ram - but I'm thinking there's something else at play.

Does anyone else try to turn by mouse/mouselook and find your character unstable while running around corners?

It's absolutely deadly in dungeons. And tab/autotargeting can make this worse, as the nearest NPC or aggro'd NPC is not the one that it automatically selects.

Sheawanna
07-10-2017, 03:32 PM
happens to me all the time in vendor stalls n certain dungeons . i7 9core here with over 32g
but then again it happened on my laptop too ( no idea )

Crissa
07-11-2017, 12:11 AM
It would be really nice if there were some automatic walking paths around the NPCs, especially in the marketplace. It would solve this, but it would also make just navigating easier when there were loads of NPCs and players standing around.

It'd be awesome if there were some sort of pathing in those areas so characters would interact and automatically walk around each other (and the displays) and stand in queues without getting blocked from actually interacting with the NPC dialogs?

Kinda like... The mechanics that fleets use in strategy games? Patterns which would get denser as the more players 'use' an NPC?

Khaylara
07-11-2017, 03:38 AM
It happened before and after I upgraded my PC, my char changes direction randomly (not sure if it's connected to NPCs). It takes few attempts to leave a shop sometimes. I reported it ingame and on the forum but no idea what is causing it. It started happening after the last big Unity upgrade and Serb overhaul iirc.

Belghast
04-02-2018, 11:17 AM
I realize this is an old thread... but I have been having this issue as well. How I am mitigating it is by just not using the mouse when navigating town. For whatever reason with keyboard turning, I do not encounter the random changes in direction that I seem to with the mouse. I can turn and move in one direction without issue by using only the keyboard. It's not a fix but it is a work around for me.

Khaylara
04-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Someone advised me to set the mouse polling at 125 (if you have a gaming mouse software). Don't ask me why but I seem to spin and stumble less.