PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in starting a zoo?

Oxlazr
06-09-2017, 06:43 PM
Just looking to see what kind of following we'd get for something like this.

At the basic level, you'll simply need to be a permanent animal, but I've a few more rules we can vote on and see if we can't get an established challenge up and running.

If you're interested, just post below and vote on the following (plus maybe throw out some new ideas for me to edit in):

1a) New characters only.
1b) You cannot learn First Aid (from Marna).
1c) You should not learn any new skills before you're in your chosen (or randomised) animal form.
1d) Exception for Endurance Trainer: You can decurse & use lumber to get favour to unlock 50+ endurance.
Alternatively, players will have to use a word of power and other materials to gain favour

2a) Randomised Animal form (players are randomly assigned an animal)
2b) Players can opt out of one animal form.

3) Raven form included.

4a) Guild Optional - We'll be able to receive the animal guild related discounts.
4b) Only allowed to trade through the guild storage - no trading with other players.

5a) Grouping Exclusive - Only group with other animals.
5b) Alternatively, only group with players in the challenge.
5c) Alternatively, no grouping at all.

6) No using Words of Power (Illusion) to learn skills available to humanoids.

7) Adhere to your species' diet (I.e. Cow must be vegan, wolves can eat whatever).

Discussion

1) This should make the challenge more accessible, and legacy characters won't bring in a bunch of skills animals wouldn't usually have access to. However, there's limited character slots and it's not always feasible for people to delete a character. I personally like the idea of your character being an animal from the start (or as early as possible), as this locks out a bunch of skills and changes the way you'd normally play.

First Aid is a concern, though, as it's pretty important and I think it's only available from Marna? (Please correct me if I'm wrong) - given the animal bombs, it seems that it's intended that animals can use first aid, so I'm not sure what the best approach here would be.

Same goes for Endurance: the trainer to get 50+ endurance, iirc, won't speak to animals and is generally easiest to favour up through lumber.

2) This is a preference sort of thing. We could sort out some sort of limited randomisation process so that all animals are used, but this largely depends on how many people would be interested in this sort of challenge.

3) I honestly don't know how this would work; a guild gatherer, perhaps?

4) This is a helpful method as we can track it through the use of /behaviirreport - so this is actually a somewhat enforceable rule.
This includes picking up items other players drop; don't worry, though, you can use the /restrict command to prevent accidents!

5) We cannot track if players group only with animals. We can track if they group at all, though. This rule would be hard to enforce.

6) Again, preference sort of thing - this would basically mean things like - no carpentry, blacksmithing, etc. - you'd only be able to gain skills through NPCs that willingly interact with animals. This rule is enforceable.

7) Should be fairly easy to track through the use of the flag, though clearly this gives certain species an advantage. Still, it might add to the challenge so I figured I'd mention it anyway.

As a final note, you'd be able to leave the challenge with your character whenever you'd like. I'd personally like some sort of mechanic to prevent accidental decursing/shapeshifting, though.

If anyone's interested, lmk here, if there's enough interest we might be able to sort something out.