PDA

View Full Version : Update Discussion: May 9, 2017

srand
05-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Notes for the May 9 update are here: https://forum.projectgorgon.com/showthread.php?472-Update-Notes-May-9-2017

Discussion is in this thread. I'll start. :)

If you read the update notes, you know we're aware of and working on a few different graphics problems. We are also carefully tracking the problems that testers are running into that *aren't* helped with those work-arounds. We're gathering data to get these fixed ASAP, and we need your data as well. This means crash logs and details. (There's a wiki page that can help with crash reports in a lot of cases: http://wiki.projectgorgon.com/wiki/How_to_Report_a_Client_Crash)

HOWEVER - Please, please send those reports and details in through tickets or e-mail. I won't be able to keep up with all the details if you post them in this thread. I may not even see your report until much later if you post it here since right now I am concentrating on crash logs and game reports.

So. Discuss away while we investigate crashes!

drivendawn
05-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Awesome, thank you for the update and your hard work.:D

Moki Mofiki
05-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Serbule looks incredible and as soon as some of the bugs are worked out I think its a great improvement. Thank you for the regular updates and awesome game. Really excited to be part of Project Gorgon as it grows into the best MMO there is.

Zherot
05-10-2017, 08:47 AM
Looks really different, for some reason i am seeing the nighst like really bright.

Khaylara
05-10-2017, 09:17 AM
I managed to get a glimpse of the update, Serbule looks pretty but I can't play. The character that was already in Serbule has 12 fps and moving feels like swimming in molasses. Another character is simply stuck, I can't teleport from the death sewer to Serbule, I just get stuck on the loading screen. I don't know what to do about it, water quality is disabled, few other options that could put a strain on the graphic card are also disabled, the graphics are set to fast.
From what I could tell in the short time I was logged in some other people can't play either, I think the players who were unable to teleport into GK because of the crashes have problems now in serbule and most people complained about the fps. I don't seem to be the only one with fps close to 10 in Serbule.

Zherot
05-10-2017, 09:27 AM
I don't want to be rude but the problem is probably your hardware.

Kohrrl
05-10-2017, 10:18 AM
I managed to get a glimpse of the update, Serbule looks pretty but I can't play. The character that was already in Serbule has 12 fps and moving feels like swimming in molasses. Another character is simply stuck, I can't teleport from the death sewer to Serbule, I just get stuck on the loading screen. I don't know what to do about it, water quality is disabled, few other options that could put a strain on the graphic card are also disabled, the graphics are set to fast.
From what I could tell in the short time I was logged in some other people can't play either, I think the players who were unable to teleport into GK because of the crashes have problems now in serbule and most people complained about the fps. I don't seem to be the only one with fps close to 10 in Serbule.

If you read over the patch notes, they give you ways to unstuck your character. The also have newb island still at a lower setting so you can make a new character and unlock your character. Set your settings to the lowest before logging back in and see if that works. Also, read the patch notes.

Did I mention read the patch notes? They give near step by step instructions for unsticking a character.

Reath
05-10-2017, 10:21 AM
The update didn't work well on my computer. Loading Serbule took ten minutes longer than usual. My whole computer was unresponsive after the game loaded. Everything was unresponsive for a few minutes, then it ran decently for a moment until I moved the camera. Then it stopped for several minutes again. After a few tries, the game worked long enough that I could close it via the menu.

I restarted the game on another character in the tutorial island. That area ran as well as with the old patch. I lowered the settings that were mentioned in the patch notes and returned to the Serbule character. Serbule ran much better afterwards, but it was still pretty slow. Around 24fps with low settings and 18fps with high.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new graphics. The game looks more visually interesting now that it's more colorful. The grass looks better now that it's more dense.

The shaders seem a bit overdone, though. There seems to be too many effects on at once and it makes the graphics look too busy. The glow in the distant areas is especially distracting, since it's so bright.

GrudgeFactor
05-10-2017, 10:41 AM
I have not been able to get in since yesterday. I cannot get through the game update.
The Game Launcher starts and goes to finding files needing to download then with 348 files to download it retries SharedAssets20.assets and retries 5 times and errors out with try later. I have detailed well and send in the logs. I just wanted to throw it out here and see if anyone else may be having the issue.

Things tried.
New folder
Download most recent Game_Launcher, still will not finish and has same sharedasset error
More space available
Made sure DEP, UAC and AntiVirus are off during update

Thank you,

cr00cy
05-10-2017, 12:45 PM
I have smilar problem to khaylara. When i logged in tody i was able to get to serbule, ran around it for a bit (and yeh i had noticabel lower fps there. not by much, but noticable), and i went to S.Serbule to pick up brewing. Then when i wnated to go back game stopped respondign on loadign screen. Tried few times, lowered grphic, did what patch notes said, nothign really helped. After few tries, i manged to log in into serbule, but game stopped respondign when i do anything - whatever it is to try and move or even move camera.

hehehe426
05-10-2017, 01:30 PM
I can log in, but the game either freezes immediately (for one character), or freezes as soon as I move or after waiting (for the other). This is after setting graphics to Fastest, water quality to 0, and I've tried starting in safe mode. I submitted a bug report (what I could quickly before another freeze).

Edit: Made a character on the tutorial island. Works alright.

Khaylara
05-10-2017, 02:06 PM
It's kinda weird because I was able to log my chars first time but I have a dilemma right now. I have 4 chars on my account, 3 are in Serbule town as far as I can remember and one was in teleport between eltibule and serbule.

I can't log any of them to use for unstuck, I just get stuck on the loading screen on all my 4 chars. I'm not willing to delete any of them (and start a new char on Anagoge), what would be a sane suggestion? Wait for a hotfix?

I thought I'd say again I lowered everything mentioned in the patch notes and some other things like Bloom effect suggested ingame. I was able to log 3 out of my 4 chars at least once and I even took one to Eltibule (got her stuck on the way back). So except "buy a better computer" does anyone have any suggestion? Comp is an i5 about a year and a couple of months old and it handles other games with higher requirements just fine. My graphic driver is up to date and I run Win 7 64 bit (yes, I hate Win 10).

Silvonis
05-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Comp is an i5 about a year and a couple of months old and it handles other games with higher requirements just fine.

Just wanted to point out that we don't actually have the requirements listed, but we are working on the initial minimum/recommended system requirements to be posted in the future. As for any immediate suggestions, if you've tried everything suggested then all you can really do is hang tight while we work out the kinks. This is a pretty significant update so there are those who experience issuses due to perhaps not meeting the minimum hardware threshold and others who are being affected by growing pains from the update.

This is aimed at everyone experiencing issues:

If you have crash logs, please send them. (See Sticky thread in Support for details on how you can send your crash log on PC and MAC).

cratoh
05-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Only played for a few minutes earlier, but

I really like the look of Serb, nice to see a start being made on updating the gfx to more pleasing on the eye.

Nice to see a start on making trade more simple - Baby steps towards a functioning player to player trading economy!

Nice to see augmentation unlocks on the 2 opposed NPC in rahu, nice touch. Pay through the nose, or work on faction (again) but still, nice.

Nice to have something to do with astonishing rakkie skulls after slaughtering so many of them. But - 20% base damage for necro only? Are there going to be base damage easy to acquire potions for all skills?

Will probably level brewing tomorrow and give some thoughts.

Khaylara
05-10-2017, 03:37 PM
Just wanted to point out that we don't actually have the requirements listed, but we are working on the initial minimum/recommended system requirements to be posted in the future. As for any immediate suggestions, if you've tried everything suggested then all you can really do is hang tight while we work out the kinks. This is a pretty significant update so there are those who experience issuses due to perhaps not meeting the minimum hardware threshold and others who are being affected by growing pains from the update.

This is aimed at everyone experiencing issues:

If you have crash logs, please send them. (See Sticky thread in Support for details on how you can send your crash log on PC and MAC).

I don't have any crash message, sorry. I got a tad worried because I read in the patch notes that the game should run better now on computers that aren't monster gaming machines. I checked some posts about the computers/laptops people use for P:G and mine is not the worst by far so I assumed something else is wrong. Will wait for a hotfix.

I forgot to mention this, on one of my attempts to load PG I got a bluescreen with "memory management" as cause. I'll take care of it but I thought it might point to an excessive memory usage.

Reath
05-10-2017, 04:06 PM
I figured out why Serbule ran slowly for me. I had texture memory restriction overridden as 0. I changed it to 1 and Serbule now runs as smoothly as it did before the patch. I must have forgotten to try changing it earlier. Having it on 0 made Serbule run a lot slower than it did before the patch.

Silvonis
05-10-2017, 05:30 PM
#6 Having issues related to FPS? Your frame rate is highly tied to your resolution. To improve your FPS, you can try one or more of the following:

Lowering the full-screen resolution within Project: Gorgon.
Setting Project: Gorgon to 'Windowed Mode' and adjusting the window size manually.

Khaylara
05-10-2017, 05:39 PM
Silvonis I have another issue (cause I couldn't leave it well alone lol).

What happened was I tried to log an alt account on anagoge. I realized I could hear game sounds but the screen remained the loading screen. I then logged Khaylara, same thing, game sounds but no visual, just the loading screen. I asked guildmates on discord if they see my char online, they could.

So my bright self decided to delete everything and do a clean install. I got the launcher but I can't reinstall now, it gives me an error message about IsolatedStorageException.

What did I just do and how do I fix it? xD

Silvonis
05-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Silvonis I have another issue (cause I couldn't leave it well alone lol).

What happened was I tried to log an alt account on anagoge. I realized I could hear game sounds but the screen remained the loading screen. I then logged Khaylara, same thing, game sounds but no visual, just the loading screen. I asked guildmates on discord if they see my char online, they could.

So my bright self decided to delete everything and do a clean install. I got the launcher but I can't reinstall now, it gives me an error message about IsolatedStorageException.

What did I just do and how do I fix it? xD

Make sure you have downloaded the latest launcher and then try re-installing into a new directory. That should correct the issue.

Khaylara
05-10-2017, 05:50 PM
I got the launcher from the home page, installed on a different drive, still the same exception, it just won't start downloading.

edit-I'm trying the "validate installation" option, that seems to work, I'll report what happens after if it goes w/o hiccups

Silvonis
05-10-2017, 05:52 PM
I got the launcher from the home page, installed on a different drive, still the same exception, it just won't start downloading.

Can you try the following?

In the file explorer, find the ProjectGorgonLauncherWin program, RIGHT-click it, and choose "Create shortcut" from the menu that appears.
Now you will see a new icon called "ProjectGorgonLauncherWin - Shortcut". RIGHT-click that icon, and choose "Properties"
Now you're looking at the options for this shortcut. The line "Target:" is the important one. Click at the end of that line, add a space, and then add "-reset" (without quotes). As an example, I have the launcher in a directory called C:\gorgon-live, so my Target line looks like this:
C:\gorgon-live\ProjectGorgonLauncherWin.exe -reset
Press OK
Now double-click the "ProjectGorgonLauncherWin - Shortcut" icon to run it. It should ask you again where you want to download the files to. Let it use the default directory it lists there.

If that works, you can just delete that shortcut icon ("ProjectGorgonLauncherWin - Shortcut") and use the regular icon to start the program in the future.

Khaylara
05-10-2017, 06:19 PM
Thank you, I'll let it finish downloading since "validate installation" seemed to work, I'm halfway already.

I know that many people have crashing and fps issues so I'll detail what happened to my client maybe it helps you guys isolate the problem.

I was able to log 3 characters, the third had loading problems from death sewer to serbule but I was able to log her eventually.
I took a char to Eltibule, did some gardening, tried to teleport back to Serbule and got stuck on loading screen.

My Nvidia Game Ready driver popped with an update, I did the update and applied it thinking it will help with fps issues (possibly bad idea).

Since I applied that update I can't log any character anywhere (including alt account on Anagoge). Technically they are logged in but I can only see the loading screen although I can clearly hear game sounds.

Since Citan already posted a line about graphic divers being crap maybe that's what caused my client to stop working properly.

edit-I was able to log after the clean install but then I did something stupid again and overwritten my GorgonPrefs file. That made it impossible to log again but it's obviously something in my settings that's causing it.

Arindor
05-10-2017, 09:04 PM
Reporting here because game won't stay running long enough to report in game, on any char. Exits after about 2 minutes.

I used to run game on Fastest settings, with framerate capped at 25, and game would almost always stay at 25, under any circumstances. This gave me adequate performance and minimal load on my system, so I could garden and play music/videos/etc :). I could run two such instances, with no problems (or framerate reduction). After the update, game runs 7-11 fps, and crashes after 2 minutes, even doing all the suggestions on the release notes. IMO, far worse performance than before (not better), and looks terrible even on minimal settings.

Unplayable for me...

MJBarr
05-10-2017, 09:06 PM
On fantastic graphics with 2560 x 1440 resolution, overall it seems to run 'mostly' decent in Serbule except once every 10 seconds (nearly exactly, I timed with a stopwatch) the game hangs for a split second. Happens whether running in a straight line, running in circles, or standing in place. This appears to be due to sky reflection probes, as turning it off removes this 10 second problem. Other intermittent lag while running is most easily reduced by changing grass draw density to below .85 (with not that much visual difference from 1 IMO). Also of note: at least one of the textures used has alpha channel issues (bad erasing in the shopping of photos, probably with a brush instead of a hard edge may have left some non-0 alpha values... either that or just an incomplete erase job) (see image at http://imgur.com/rcQmnGa.jpg )

Theres definitely some weird coloration issues, and I've noticed things like Tigers having glossy red fur (that effectively makes them look like a toy of some kind). This appears to be somewhat reduced by turning off Sky Reflection Probes (though tigers still seem a little shiny... what have you been feeding those things, pixie dust?). Bears have some shinyness too, of course, but Cows and Wolves seem to be fine (assuming model materials are vastly different for those models).
http://imgur.com/k7wWS4l.jpg
http://imgur.com/pTd0UDa.jpg
http://imgur.com/ZS0RsCi.jpg

Have had some inconsistencies with the new gathering: have had strawberry plants that completely disappear after gathering while others stay there. Gathering apples and then attempting to gather "Oak" wood from the tree - many apple trees just stay the same and simply look like they still have apples on them with never giving the option to harvest wood. I did notice that with grapes if I collected once, waited a bit, and then collected again I was finally able to gather wood once the grapes disappeared the second time... do trees / stumps have a set number of uses for each collection? It seems pretty bad for a lumberjack to have to pick all the fruit off the tree first before they can cut it down (and it really makes me wish other trees could be cut down as well, and perhaps have wood handled via the Janka hardness scale... and a smoke / flavor chart for various cooking results. Also: Arboriculture as a skill, with tree topping / coppicing / pollarding for various results in tree height [too tall trees you cant pick all the fruit unless you can jump high, or have climbing aka spider], fruit quantity/quality [read up on effects of some of fruit tree pruning at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_tree_pruning], having good chances to get perfect wood from large trees vs normal wood and even sticks [breakable apart for wood chips in inventory and used for some recipes], etc (or vines growing after a pollarding for grapes, or mushrooms on unkempt trees, etc). Druids could potentially shape trees in certain special ways, while lumberjacks would have to perform operations/pruning at certain tree ages, and Druids could have restrictions on what they could do as well, etc) (see hardness chart at http://www.hoskinghardwood.com/uploads/pages/Articles/article_hardnesschart.jpg )
Other than that, I would like at least a context menu on gatherables such that I could to chop or gather fruit, with the potential to also gather some fruit on a chop down (though of course some get smashed in the fall and the tree itself doesnt grow back for awhile so theres that.)

Notable effect on camera zooming in to first person: the very ground itself appears to rise up and then fall back down again when you zoom back out: its a little nauseating, even. Seems to be part of the weird detail blend in effect.
Notably, Ground Basemap Distance to 0 completely removes it all, of course, but changing the Terrain Shader mode from 2 to 1 or 0 also seems to fix it (or at least on 1 the effect isnt bad). I found that increasing the basemap distance to any value other than 0 and setting the terrain shader to 1 to be the best effect (though the changing the basemap distance to 0 while zoomed in while on shader mode 1 appears to have crashed the game, will send in crash report)

Also notable: game looks a TON better turning up the far clip plane from 1000 to above 1500: the trees shadows actually show up pretty well past that point and the field itself looks much better. I also set FoV to 75 for more improvement.

Theres also a lot of armor highlighting glitching going on, though I'm sure thats been reported a bunch by now, and no setting I changed seemed to do anything. Changing a bunch of things definitely made it look nicer though...
http://imgur.com/FhLGWbs.jpg

takatoka
05-11-2017, 06:21 AM
excellent post !!!!

Moki Mofiki
05-11-2017, 08:11 AM
Haha good stuff, I am a little confused as to the thought process of creating a glassy look to mobs in Serbule. They look like figurines

Worm
05-11-2017, 10:39 AM
I think it looks great and after fiddling the performance has really improved. I still have some odd FPS drops related to turning my camera in certain roofed structures like the keep in Serbule, and town in South Serbule but never get those kind of drops in the keeps in Eltibule for example. I have turned of Occlusion Culling but the problem persists which makes me wonder if there's an issue with that override.

I have noticed that it seems like the dawn light starts appearing before the sun is visible I haven't watched the sun rise a ton of times but I'm pretty confident I remember it right. Not sure if the light is just clipping it's way through the mountains or what. Once the sun rises around 7 AM everything looks great though.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/192001243361574912/312086806956998656/unknown.png

Also sometimes it felt like foliage near me was disappearing and being redrawn as well. I can try to capture that on video some time I guess.

MJBarr Joeh's desk is another thing that has that kind of effect on it, I didn't notice it on animals though.

Crissa
05-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Animals dipped in resin!

Murk
05-11-2017, 11:13 AM
Can't complain too much on my rig compared to what others are telling me. The high end settings give it a good beating though, and a framerate of ~35 in serbule. There are quite a few "pauses" as others have mentioned so it has to be dialed down in some way to play. 8GB graphics memory. Nvidia 880M in SLI. 32Gb system ram. 6 core I7 @ 3.7Ghz
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7EaaY31xBLtY3NTYWgta3BTemc/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7EaaY31xBLtY3NTYWgta3BTemc/view?usp=sharing

srand
05-11-2017, 12:15 PM
We've got an update coming tonight that should fix a number of the graphics problems, including some of the crashes. It probably won't fix all the crashes, but at the very least we'll be able to get more data about the remaining crashes so we can move forward on fixing them.

There will also be a number of visual improvements, plus some regular bug fixes. The full patch notes aren't ready yet, but you'll see them here (well, in the News & Announcement area of the forums) when they are ready to go.

The update should happen around 10 pm to midnight (Eastern US time). Downtime will probably be about an hour.

Moki Mofiki
05-11-2017, 01:08 PM
Awesome news, thank you for such a quick turn around on trying to get people up and running. Excited to see if this helps the majority.

Khaylara
05-11-2017, 01:54 PM
srand I seem to be stuck in loading again while teleporting, I was on default Fast graphics but I made few changes in camera FOV and near/far clip plane, I can't figure out which one is causing it though.

fobbyfabi
05-11-2017, 02:22 PM
I am stuck on the loading screen for my main toon. My two other's load-in fine :/

Moki Mofiki
05-11-2017, 03:55 PM
srand I seem to be stuck in loading again while teleporting, I was on default Fast graphics but I made few changes in camera FOV and near/far clip plane, I can't figure out which one is causing it though.

I am stuck on the loading screen for my main toon. My two other's load-in fine :/

If you haven't already use the "/unstickchar CHARNAME" with an alt avatar and it will send the CHARNAME to noob island

Tiger
05-11-2017, 04:32 PM
I can no longer log in my main. I've been playing fine but today I zoned into Serbule from Eltibule and cast a spell, the game froze and I've not been able to log in that character again. I can log in my alts though.

Khaylara
05-11-2017, 06:22 PM
If you haven't already use the "/unstickchar CHARNAME" with an alt avatar and it will send the CHARNAME to noob island

I know but I don't need poor Khay on anagoge. As soon as one tries to teleport from anagoge to serbule one gets stuck again lol. Wating for the fix and staying out of serbule for the moment. I only posted to let srand know which graphic options I tweaked that might've caused me to have that problem again.

Dragone
05-11-2017, 07:50 PM
Khaylara on noob island if you use code 1830 it takes you to Sun Vale, could pass some time there.

Extractum11
05-12-2017, 02:18 AM
The May 11 patch has made the game playable for me again, and wow, I'm blown away by how much better Serbule looks. Huge improvement over the old version. On the downside, it takes 3+ minutes of loading every time I zone into Serb. To be fair, I do have a potato computer.

It also seems the recent system of putting you in a zone and loading things in the background (with the little hourglass icon in your buff bar) was taken out. That system never really helped my load times since FPS went to 1 until it was finished loading, but at least you could chat while waiting.

Another graphics thing: is the 'non-animated' drakeworm model just a tiny head peeking above the ground? I'd reset all the overrides trying to get the game to run, and on "0: Fastest" the animation distance is set really low. If you run through Ilmari with any kind of speed buff, you'll be inside a drake's range before you can actually see it. Have to override Entity Animation Distance Multiplier (or something) to make that zone tolerable.

I'm really loving the fixed fruit spawns in Serb, and it goes a long way for Brewing.

Brewing: I haven't delved too deeply, but some of the effects seem...really strong. Along with Cheesemaking providing a strong snack, this is another strong, time-gated, skill. I feel like this just increases the disparity between how strong current players are vs how strong we're 'supposed' to be at level 70.

Changed recipes for spider silk textiles to require fewer expensive ingredients
Thank god, the old requirements were crazy. I hope spider WOs are doable now. Unfortunately this also means we'll probably see more player-spiders :(

And in case anyone missed it, this was another full moon patch :P

Reath
05-12-2017, 06:52 AM
Serbule no longer loads on my main character. I changed some graphics settings while I was in Serbule. When I applied them, the game stopped responding for five minutes, so I force quit it.

Now the game always gets stuck on the loading screen when entering Serbule, no matter what graphics settings I use. I can hear fire crackling in the background, but it doesn't otherwise load. Newbie island works the same as before. I tried rebooting and reinstalled the game with -reset, but neither helped.

Khaylara
05-12-2017, 07:40 AM
I still get the loading problem. What is odd is that my char seems to actually be logged in but I can't see anything but the loading screen. So I deleted my GorgonPrefs, managed to log, went to South Serbule. There I tweaked my advanced graphics options again. I went back to Serbule and between the south serbule portal and serbule town my client froze. I had to Ctrl+Alt+Delete it then tried to log in again, got stuck on loading screen again.

Would it be of any help/use to email my current GorgonPrefs file to support? Maybe you can figure it out? Not for me particularly (although I hate no being able to see the horizon) but help pinpoint the problems. (And yes, I will get a better video card xD).

edit-at Reath Go to the Elder Game folder (in Windows it's in user-AppData, LocalLow I think, make sure you view hidden files and folders), cut/delete your GorgonPrefs file and try again (i personally saved it in another location).

Deana
05-12-2017, 08:23 AM
Still unable to login on any character, tried the recommended work arounds .. Launcher hangs on all accounts .. I did post in the support forum earlier with more details but it seems to have gone ?

Khaylara
05-12-2017, 08:31 AM
Try what I suggested for Reath, it worked for me. Delete your prefs, it goes to default settings and I was able to log.

Reath
05-12-2017, 09:11 AM
edit-at Reath Go to the Elder Game folder (in Windows it's in user-AppData, LocalLow I think, make sure you view hidden files and folders), cut/delete your GorgonPrefs file and try again (i personally saved it in another location).

Thanks, I got into Serbule now. It didn't work the first time I tried, because I lowered the settings to fastest before logging in. Then I deleted the file again, logged in with completely default settings and Serbule loaded. It's strange that it only loads if I use higher settings.

Deana
05-12-2017, 11:21 AM
Thanks Khaylara, that has got me back in !! ... shame an uninstall does not remove that stuff ... any way, I am ok as long as I go no where near Serb , then frame rates plummet and I lock up,,, Hoping this update does not get pushed out globally :)

FURY
05-12-2017, 01:15 PM
I still get the loading problem. What is odd is that my char seems to actually be logged in but I can't see anything but the loading screen. So I deleted my GorgonPrefs, managed to log, went to South Serbule. There I tweaked my advanced graphics options again. I went back to Serbule and between the south Serbule portal and Serbule town my client froze. I had to Ctrl+Alt+Delete it then tried to log in again, got stuck on loading screen again.

This is also happening to me. I can hear music for a while, then the music will cut and the client will stop responding and grey screen. My Problem with this is it doesn't generate a crash report when it grey screens like this. It just dies and has to be process killed to make it stop 'not responding.'

On another note I was able to get into Serbule once, and crashed soon after, but haven't been able to get it to load since. methods tried: DX9, DX11, Texture Memory moved all the way down to 6, then with all of the overrides moved down to the minimum that it allows, tried in windowed and full screen mode as well as Safe Mode. Still no dice. Or crash report, it just dies.

Looking at my CPU and Physical memory, when the game is loading the scene it jumps to about 30% CPU and Physical memory to about 30% then 50% then 90% within a few seconds, with spikes to 100% within, but then windows gives up on it, CPU drops to 1% but, Phys memory stays the same until the client is actually closed. So my thinking goes(right or wrong) that the game is trying to load too many assets(graphics) at the same time and they says 'nope too much' and just gives up. I dunno why... as the game looks like potato soup with different colors for things, but it thinks its loading somethin and is giving up cause there is too much of whatever it is. I have a 4-core i5-3570k @ 3.40 GHz (for reference) so its not like its lacking the power it should take to load potato soup.

Khaylara
05-12-2017, 01:36 PM
I have a similar processor and yep, no crash report. Deleting GorgonPrefs worked (for myself and 2 other people it seems), I can log now but tbh it's so laggy I don't feel like playing (about 13 fps in serbule). If you delete the prefs and leave it on default graphics you should be able to log in. Also use Dx9 not 11.

I checked the monitor aswell and I saw the same spiking, I'd say that's a memory leak because it seems to "eat" too much memory, much more than usual.

edit-it seems like every time i want to log in i have to delete GorgonPrefs or I get stuck on that loading screen

Extractum11
05-12-2017, 02:43 PM
I forgot to mention this update removes the ServerInfo object in the recipes JSON. That's where the xp values used to be, so it's a really big change for the wiki. Right now it's much harder to support those columns in the recipes table. If this wasn't the intent, could those values be snuck in somewhere else?

FURY
05-12-2017, 06:12 PM
I have a similar processor and yep, no crash report. Deleting GorgonPrefs worked (for myself and 2 other people it seems), I can log now but tbh it's so laggy I don't feel like playing (about 13 fps in serbule). If you delete the prefs and leave it on default graphics you should be able to log in. Also use Dx9 not 11.

I checked the monitor aswell and I saw the same spiking, I'd say that's a memory leak because it seems to "eat" too much memory, much more than usual.

edit-it seems like every time i want to log in i have to delete GorgonPrefs or I get stuck on that loading screen

Funnily enough, i just tried it, again cause why not, and it gave me some interesting errors... It had a 'oops!' Windows warning, and a "Windows Visual C++" popup telling me something went wrong, and it made a crash log finally. So while it didn't load we have a crash log now.

PS: @Citan (https://forum.projectgorgon.com/member.php?u=59) i do love the debug outputs: !!! WOO! Initializing area! (180338), Actually loading level ChooseCharacter... Done loading level ChooseCharacter... LOADING LEVEL ChooseCharacter... :D

EDIT: it may have actually been Microsoft Visual Studio C++, which i do have, but is weird for it to pop a warning from that

Khaylara
05-12-2017, 06:42 PM
I got blind drunk and didn't notice the lag anymore since I could hardly see the ground. I did not have so much fun in ages.:D

mrwarp
05-12-2017, 11:05 PM
For those that can get in game but may still be dragging in FPS:

If you created any overrides between the May 9 and May 11 patches, you should now try to completely reset all overrides and start from scratch. Also after doing so you should do a client restart. This cleared up a lot of issues for me and others after the May 11 patch.

hehehe426
05-13-2017, 09:55 AM
I am on a Mac and still got freezes in serb until I set on Fastest and overrode Tree Draw Distance to 0. Anything higher than that would cause freezing. I can even set graphics one notch higher, to Fast, and as long as tree draw distance is 0, no freezing.

srand
05-13-2017, 11:11 AM
I forgot to mention this update removes the ServerInfo object in the recipes JSON. That's where the xp values used to be, so it's a really big change for the wiki. Right now it's much harder to support those columns in the recipes table. If this wasn't the intent, could those values be snuck in somewhere else?

So as I understand it, the ServerInfo object isn't supposed to be included with the client version of the recipe JSON ... but the XP values are. So the XP values will be coming back in a different form. (And quickly, if we can. We want to make the wiki as useful and easy to work with as we can.)

AssumptionOfImmolation
05-13-2017, 01:49 PM
I have been troubleshooting this problem since last night, and it is frustrating.

I have been unable to log into my character when he leaves the tutorial island. Serbule will not load at all on my computer. I can run tutorial island without lag or issue, but as soon as I teleport or take the boat, the game hangs on the loading screen.

I have been able to get into the game by loading an alt and using the /unstickchar command, but I have nowhere to go besides serbule after said island.

Any solutions, advice, or workarounds would be appreciated. Apparently I am not the only one with this issue.

Things I have tried:
1. Lowering graphics and resolution to lowest possible values
2. Run in both DX9 and DX10
3. Deleting preferences
4. Installing to appdata folder

Extractum11
05-13-2017, 02:08 PM
Yay, thank you!

Malice00
05-13-2017, 05:58 PM
I know dev's are working this issue. I have tried all fixes posted. Even start new avatar to make adjustments. No luck. I will monitor boards occasionally with hopes of a fix. Hopefully, it's the WIFI at my current location. I will be back to hard connection on Friday. Good luck my friends.

Kifyi
05-13-2017, 07:05 PM
It's not a solution and might not really be fun but you could botch the coordinates you give the guy and go somewhere else. I did that by mistake at one point and ended up somewhere nuts that wasn't Serbule.

Malice00
05-14-2017, 08:27 PM
Thanks for suggestion...how do I botch coordinates? BTW I was portaling (never came out, game defaulted to shutdown) into Serbule from a see the light death re-spawn.

Khaylara
05-14-2017, 09:33 PM
I think he means talk to the elf and give him random coordinates (tbh I never tried if it works for higher level characters that already went through the tutorial teleport quest). Don't worry the game client doesn't work for many of us, I have to constantly delete my GorgonPrefs file every login and go on the lowest graphics possible (it looks terrible) to be able to go to Serbule. Try that+using the death option if you manage to move your character on Anagoge. I'd do Anagoge-log off-delete GorgonPrefs-log back-drown-go into the light. Hope it works for you.

ShieldBreaker
05-15-2017, 04:57 AM
If you are crashing on the loading screen, I think it is possible that you might miss daily or other messages in-game, once you do get back in. To be on the safe side you might want to use the /messages command once you get back in okay, just to double check if you got any in-game messages.

FURY
05-15-2017, 08:23 AM
For anyone still having problems I can tell you how I have worked around the loading screen crashes. I don't know if this will work on Mac as I have Windoze.

First: I disabled my on-board graphics from the Device Manager. (this assumes that you have a dedicated graphics card, if you don't i wouldn't recommend this!!!!)

Second I load up the game,

Third: once I have loaded Serbule area I can re-enable on-board graphics and play like normal.

Fourth: I must do this each time that I Start the game up.

I came to this solution vie thinking.. i have GPU with plenty of memory.. and i'm running out of memory, am i really using the GPU then? This forces the game to use the dedicated GPU, and doing this i can easily run Serubule on 4: Beautiful setting with decent FPS(40-60), it gets rough(15-30) when there are lots of players around but that's a given.

I hope this can helps someone.

Crissa
05-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Yeah, since Macs will attempt to use the lesser graphics capability - it uses less power - that could be a solution. Doesn't solve the eating-all-system-memory bug, though it might narrow it down.

Might mean I'll have to drop out, since I don't get to use the big PC all that much. It's not as portable ^-^

srand
05-15-2017, 01:06 PM
Citan spent most of last night working on the Mac problem, alongside memory usage in general. (Builds take a while, so he multi-tasks when he can.) I apologize - I haven't updated everyone as often as I should! But we are still working hard to get everyone who is affected back into a playable state.

(You folks have been so patient and so helpful ... you're amazing.)

Moki Mofiki
05-16-2017, 06:14 AM
I think most of us on Mac's have found enough fixes to make the game ugly as sin but playable :) ... Everyone understands that improvements create issues and we all feel heard. Patience is a side effect of communication, thank you.

srand
05-17-2017, 12:29 PM
We've expecting to put out an update tonight around midnight (Eastern US) with a variety of bug fixes and stability improvements. We'll get you the patch notes - and an updated discussion thread - as soon as they're ready.

Edit: Well, maybe a bit later than midnight. But it's coming! (Check the launcher text for up-to-date details.)