PDA

View Full Version : Where's my rage meter?

Sasho
04-18-2017, 05:21 PM
I'm writing this because I see a lot of posts about making more tanking abilities. I think this could branch into all combat skills to allow them to be more versatile.

What are thoughts about implementing player Rage meters? Like mobs, we build up the meters by taking damage, and when it's full we can activate custom abilities to be used offensively or defensively. Characters who use shield could use it to ignore physical damage for a short time. Battle chemists could start "fuming" so potently it causes all mobs around them to move at slower % speed. Bards could play a tune so catchy all mobs start dancing for a few seconds, mesmerized/stunned by the power of music.

Rage could have risk too - as it does in real life when we lose our temper. We could fail our rage ability and instead leave ourselves vulnerable. We might bang ourselves on the head with a shield and become stunned. A battle chemists fumes could make himself and fellow players around him miss a % of their attacks. A bard could strike a bad chord and boost the damage % of the enemies.

To be really extensive, rage abilities could mix so that every 2 skills equipped make their own unique concoction. This could bring some skills like Necromancy and Animal Handling (which we don't see often in places like Fort Galzuk or Lab) into late game content because of how their rage abilities blend with other skills. I'd love to see a Wolf/Necro be able to active a rage ability that spawns undead wolves to attach each mob within 5 meters. For all I care there could even be a casting cost to rage abilities like inks, fetish bags, spore bombs, etc. I don't want it to be free, I just want it to be there because it would add so much more to the diversity of combat.

Crissa
04-18-2017, 07:34 PM
Mobs have rage abilities already.

Niph
04-19-2017, 02:37 AM
Some of these rage abilities are lovely, and I want them for myself too. :)

Tsugumori
04-19-2017, 04:07 AM
Mobs have rage abilities already.

Players aren't mobs, and we don't have rage bars or abilities. :)

[That's what this thread is about]

pilotfisherman
04-19-2017, 03:04 PM
I like this idea. I could see a rage skill living on the side bar. Maybe they could be based on race or animal form. Maybe rage output could be a facet of combat wisdom. Maybe sentient weapons will have their own rage attack.

Crissa
04-20-2017, 12:44 PM
Players aren't mobs, and we don't have rage bars or abilities. :)

[That's what this thread is about]My comment was that the concept was already used in some manner (and that mechanic includes that stun makes rage abilities fail).

LaRaj
05-23-2017, 08:55 PM
I like this concept... maybe the rage skill could unique depending on the 2 combat skills active. EX: Bow and Fire could shot a explosive arrow when rage is reach. I would like to see some unique skill combining a players main skills.

Citan
05-25-2017, 02:43 AM
I've basically held off on using stuff like a Rage meter because I don't want to add yet another meter to the game. Even if you don't count the metabolism bar (since it can be turned off), three resource bars is already a lot!

I may eventually just say "screw it" and add some more resource bars, and Rage is a good choice... but for now I'm trying to work with the bars we have.

ShieldBreaker
05-25-2017, 08:50 AM
Just throwing a crazy idea out there, but what if the Rage bar was a second color on the existing power bar. Rage Power is also red but when under the yellow power bar makes the yellow into orange. When rage is greater than power, the bar is semi-transparent to make a phantom red bar in the power over and above the the orange mixed power/rage bar. Uses of rage require that there be enough power and rage in the combined bar. This would be for high level, advanced players, so would require training and/or equipment, and spices up combat for them, without adding confusion for new players because they don't need to worry about the rage mechanic.