PDA

View Full Version : What Makes Project Gorgon Great?

Lendari
04-01-2017, 09:16 AM
I want to try something else for a thread. Instead of talking about things I don't like, I'd actually like to point out some of the things that are making me see Project Gorgon as more than just another MMO. Things that the developer(s?) have done to diffentiate their game from the crowd in a good way.

Anagouge Island
I loved all the quick, little puzzles on the island. Instead of feeling like "man I need to get out of this tutorial" instead I felt like "I hope I haven't missed anything". This was one of the best MMO tutorial zones I've seen in a while.

The Kur Mountains Environmental Damage
It brings a new dimension to the concept of "player vs. environment" that I've not seen in any other MMO. The closest I can think of was the underwater dungeon in EQ... and that was just solved by casting underwater breathing. Anyway, this is a very cool game system. I like how at first it's an almost overwhelming barrier to exploring the zone, and then as you gain a foothold and some experience with it, it become less and less of a barrier and just kind of something you get used to.

Ability to Play Every Class
I think it's really cool that Gorgon doesn't lock you into a class or an archetype and leaves you free to explore all the skills in the game to the extent that they are interesting to you. While I've seen games like FFXIV that let you level every class (choosing one to be active) or in WoW where you can switch between releated classes in an archetype, no MMO I've played has quite given the Gorgon level of flexibility and it's really great and also addictive.

Serbule Crypt Dungeon
This dungeon feels really polished. It has a nice back story running, good side areas, and bosses that are unique and interesting. So far I think it's the most polished dungeon in the game and it has a great feel to it.

Goblin Dungeon
I like that it has a "soloable" area and then the "group" areas in the deeper parts. I also like how the difficulty increases as you go deeper in. That it's not just a "level 30 dungeon" but potentially a dungeon that will challenge people at level 40 or even 50 if they go after the most difficult parts. This is a real throwback to games like Everquest, where you were never really "safe" because there was usually something running around that was much higher than everything else in the zone. I like the diversity of this dungeon and the design that keeps it from becoming trivial even well past it's intended group level range.

Eltibule
Again, the progressive difficulty as you reach out from the entrance is great. The overall design of the world and terrain here feels pretty epic. Again, the progressive difficulty as you reach out from the entrance is great.

asalts
04-02-2017, 05:35 PM
This was one of the best MMO tutorial zones I've seen in a while.

I completely agree; the tutorial zone is what got me hooked on the game.

rastaah
04-02-2017, 08:19 PM
I agree too with all you said but to highlight strongly that the tutorial zone was what sold me :) (And kinda still does as I still need some favor to complete it)

Tsugumori
04-03-2017, 06:32 AM
- PG Community >

- You can be a Wolf/Bat/Spider/Deer

- You can die from insects bursting out of your stomach

- Putting the difficult in 'Difficulty level'

- You can be a duck

Yertle
04-03-2017, 08:44 AM
Ability to Play Every Class
I think it's really cool that Gorgon doesn't lock you into a class or an archetype and leaves you free to explore all the skills in the game to the extent that they are interesting to you.

I agree with you here and would just add that what I like is that you, so far, pretty much have the ability to be every class on a single character. I really hope that continues as much as possible.

Hang Outs
These are awesome and really well thought out, the ability to "play" and gain experience when logged out is really great. It makes it easier to logout and provides and incentive to log back in, excellent.

rastaah
04-03-2017, 09:05 AM
I love love love that you can be every single class etc. That would be a bad thing for me if that changed playing wise. That is a key component to me, of the heart of this game so I do love that too!!

I love all that everyone has listed.

asalts
04-03-2017, 09:39 PM
- You can die from insects bursting out of your stomach

- Putting the difficult in 'Difficulty level'

As much as I love this game I'm still not sold on the no death penalty aspect. To each his own I guess.

Yaksnot
04-04-2017, 08:52 AM
What I Think is great about this game so far:

1) death xp

2) trade skill depth

3) the amount of skills and how they are symbiotic in nature (as they help raise other skills, and everything is interconnected)

4) Ice fishing

5) freedom to wear whatever kind of armor you want

6) farming (the growing of food and flowers ect)

7) run speed buffs

8) the ability to play animals

9) flight

10) environmental effects from zones

11) the vast number of different armor effects you can have

12) all the mods for armor / weapons / jewelry in the applicable skills and the ability to customize those further for the build you like to play

13) the idea of druid events, Lycan events ect

14) the used tab!

15) vendor favor and spending caps

16) the idea that nothing is really vendor trash everything is used

17) guild quests

18) from what I have tried every combat skill actually seems viable

18) the community is actually quiet helpful and welcoming

19) optional hardcore mode

20) hang outs and the ability to get some kind of xp when offline.

thats off the top of my head. I am not turning a blind eye to the things that need or could vastly be improved imo, I am just stating things that I really like about the game.

--edited for clarity

Yak

Tsugumori
04-04-2017, 10:09 AM
As much as I love this game I'm still not sold on the no death penalty aspect. To each his own I guess.

Well you can play on hardcore and that's a pretty substantial penalty. Dying from bosses without defeating it places a curse on you character, which is also a penalty.

Since 'Death' is a passive skill to level in general play terms it can't have too heavy a cost. I have tried EQ and I get there are players that enjoy the weight of having that 'don't die or else' mentality hanging over their heads but I don't think it detracts from PG. If anyone thinks this they really should take a few steps back to gain some perspective, PG is its own game.

Easylivin
04-07-2017, 03:54 PM
- PG Community > *

this is what i believe

Maric
05-14-2017, 08:42 PM
Sense of humor. Fairly non-stanced, open world. The tutorial island was fantastic.

Moki Mofiki
05-15-2017, 05:54 AM
The skill system, skilling what you use and not what you choose. Allowing you to try all skills without creating a new character. community, community, community.

Malice00
05-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Nothing linear here. I die everywhere, learn something new every adventuring day. Also learn new things when farming pigs an cows. As a matter of fact it took me 40 levels to figure out earning favor is the only way to make enough money to pay for skill upgrades...that was pleasant and unpleasant at the same time learning that revelation.

I am definitely not a fan of WIKI cheats & short cuts. Heck Dev's gave us a note book to record NPC's small talk, why do I need Wiki?

Crissa
05-17-2017, 03:04 PM
Dev's gave us a note book to record NPC's small talk, why do I need Wiki?...Because copy pasting everything relevant NPCs say is really a pain? O-o

I love that there's a /wiki command, although I rarely know which thing to type into it.

LaRaj
05-23-2017, 08:46 PM
I think one of the things that make this game so great is that everything is interlinked somehow. You can't just focus on leveling one skill because at some point your going to have to level another skill to progress, sometime multiple skills. I also like that there is no (or very few) junk items in PG. There has been countless times that I got rid of something due to a lack of storage to find out all of a sudden it is the single most item I need the most. I enjoy that the storage system forces you to plan and be strategic. Another thing that makes this game great are all the unique skills and possible skill combinations, it really is interesting how these unique skills all work together during a quest. Overall I think Project Gorgon is well done.
-LaRaj

drivendawn
05-24-2017, 08:06 PM
The classless system, the favor system, and the interdependency of the skills. Also the world is very unique and fun to explore. Lastly the openness of the world and how organic grouping in the game is thanks to this and the awesome community.