PDA

View Full Version : Comraderie - Bringing people together

ShubiMaja
03-30-2017, 08:56 AM
Groups. We love them. We hate them. They ruin things when they are too large and they ruin things when they are too small.

Large groups were a problem because they made content too easy. The solution? Locking groups to 6 people.

But now during Druid events, many people rush to solo mobs before someone else locks them and don't bother joining groups, thereby making the event pointless for all but the strongest players who happen to be in the area.

A common reason that these players don't invite others into their event group is simple: why should they? What do they have to gain? Furthermore, what do powerful players have to gain from grouping in general? Why should anyone group ever if there are no real benefits to grouping and only downsides except for the lowest and weakest of players? The answer -- I think -- is that on a certain level players have alot to gain in terms of experience. But this benefit is not initially tangible, so many people don't bother to try.

I suggest we give players a reason to try grouping. Citan has made it clear that he prefers positive reinforcement over negative. So here is my suggestion for a system to positively motivate players to socialize and group.

This idea for this system is based on 3 core principles:

- players are rewarded for participating in groups
- players who group more are rewarded more
- players who like to solo are not severely punished

This system would utilize existing Community points as a basis for rewards and rewards could consist of a simple XP boost and/or increase chance of rarity of drop at rate of about 2% per 25 community points, so that most people with full community points (about 100 i think) will get about 8% bonus which is just significant without being overpowered.

Community points currently regenerate while players are standing within a certain radius of each other and are in the same region according to my understanding. This mechanic would simply have to be modified so that the default regen rate for community points is very low, but highly accelerated the more people are in a group with the player and within a certain radius

To draw a parallel Hanging out with a group of friends is usually more fun then chatting with random strangers.

In addition 5 community points restore could be rewarded the first time a player joins a group to the player who joined and 1 point to the other people in the group. To prevent abuse, this could be limited to joining a group with a particular leader with something like an hour cooldown.

Incidentally this also rewards players who create groups and were in the group first (the owner would get 5 for creating and 1 for each person who joined for a total of 10 community points which in the event that the owner's points were not full equates to a bit less than a 1% xp bonus which is not nothing)

--

For example a group of 6 players hunting together for an hour could receive a community point regen rate of 1 point per 5 mins per 1 person in the group. Which means that after hunting together for 5 mins they would all have received 30 community points and would have reached their cap of around 100 in around 15 minutes, rewarding everyone with an 8% xp bonus and 8% increased chance of drop rarity being upgraded.

This would be in addition to the initial 5 points, + 1 point * however many people joined after that player joined the group.

On the other hand a group of 6 players who join quickly to 1 hit a weak boss and get bonus xp after hunting alone for hours and falling to 0 community will not benefit much from grouping at all, but may all gain an initial 5 community points each for joining a group, which is still something.

Solo players of course would receive no bonus, but no real malus as well (Unless possibly they wear hardcore armor and hate partying)

--

This mechanic would increase the value of any currently existing static community bonus or malus (such as that of winter fairy armor) and open the door for a new Comraderie skill which could offer a bonus to Community point regen rate or more likely Community point cap as well as maybe Psychology? (better understanding of people)

The new skill could be leveled by simply playing together (and maybe other social actions such as adding people to friends list -- assuming they accept) !

TL;DR; Community Points exist already. Use them to offer a bonus when they are full. Reward players points for joining groups and staying near other players while grouped. Make current community point regen insignificant compared to group regen rate. Optionally Offer a new stat called Camaraderie which is increased by joining and playing together in groups and very slightly increases the community point cap over time.

Feel free to offer feedback and share why you like or dislike this idea and how it could be made better.

Lendari
04-01-2017, 09:51 AM
I like the idea of making grouping a skill. Then having it passively increase xp gain, drop rates, etc when playing with others. Maybe it could be used to unlock things like resurrection as well?

alleryn
04-01-2017, 11:29 AM
Cool idea, maybe it could extend beyond combat groups as well? Camaraderie for gardening together, dancing together etc.?

Crissa
04-01-2017, 12:22 PM
Well, there's already some bonuses for interacting with other players, joining groups, so clearly that's something Citan wants to do. ^-^

Eachna
04-07-2017, 08:49 PM
But now during Druid events, many people rush to solo mobs before someone else locks them and don't bother joining groups, thereby making the event pointless for all but the strongest players who happen to be in the area.

Aww, really? :(

I haven't seen a druid event since the group changes. I'm taking a little break from the game.

I love druid events the way they used to be run. I don't have the druid skill and I'm always leveling something so in general I suck in combat. But I'd have a blast leeching off druid events. And I fully admit I was a leech. I wasn't soloing anything.

But I'd run around following the waves of players, grabbing loot, leveling my pets, and tossing out whatever damage or heals I could. I didn't need to be part of a group because all the mobs were open tapping. Every now and then someone would send me a tell letting me know I saved them from dying and it was fun all around.

It'll suck if I can't do that anymore.