PDA

View Full Version : Is data-mining okay? by Probeus (Old Forums)

ShubiMaja
03-28-2017, 11:48 AM
Original URL: http://projectgorgon.com/member-forum/forum/support/1076-is-data-mining-okay?limitstart=0#8029

Probeus:

Just wondering what the policy for Data-mining is.

With data-mining I mean collecting information such as item-icons, item-text, etc from the executable or related files and use them for a community page (Wiki, Item-database, etc).

Citan:

Huh, weird timing, I'm about to do a thread on an upcoming chat-interface API! But anyway, yes, we maintain a bunch of game data on the CDN and you are welcome to use that data for public tools or webpages.

Until recently, the client actually downloaded those JSON files at runtime. The client doesn't need them anymore, but I've left them online so that the people maintaining the wiki don't have to waste a ton of time copy-pasting item descriptions from the game (and stuff like that).

However, the data in those JSON files right now is slightly too much data. It includes things the client shouldn't know. (The server needs more data than the client does, and it reads a copy of these JSON files too.) I just haven't had time to write something that sanitizes them yet.

So if there's data that isn't displayed in the client, please avoid using it. 90% of the time that data is obvious anyway and harmless, but in a few cases it can spoil surprises. And that data will be removed when I get around to it, so your tools would break anyway!