PDA

View Full Version : Which donation tier did you choose and why?

gamer321
03-08-2017, 01:13 PM
I thought this might be an interesting topic so feel free to discuss.

Khaylara
03-08-2017, 01:48 PM
http://forum.projectgorgon.com/showthread.php?279-Reward-Tiers

As I mentioned already I think it's detrimental to the community to discuss "how much I donated", it creates unnecessary division and sometimes a sense of entitlement. Also "donation" is a freely given sum of money without any reward:) I am guessing you are referring to the game packages.If so, there's no significant difference between packages, almost everything that was included in the higher packages is obtainable in game via questing.

I'd like to put this out there anyway w/o meaning to sound hostile-what we paid does not give any of us any control over the development process. Imho the gracious thing to do is make anonymous donations if we can and not flex our muscles with how much we donated/what package we purchased:)

Cheers

PS https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/projectgorgon/project-gorgon-pc-mmo

gamer321
03-08-2017, 02:03 PM
I think you're right. I'm sorry. Is there a way to delete the post? I can't seem to find a way to do that.

Crissa
03-08-2017, 02:10 PM
I think it's fine.

I donated about as much as I'd pay for a shelf game, and then a little more, like I'd pay for any web supported game.

Why not? I enjoyed it, I like the idea of trying new mechanics. I like exploring and I like the open world.

drivendawn
03-08-2017, 06:36 PM
I donated a few hundred in all and will continue to donate more with pleasure. I was an AC player for 6 years and there just isn't anything like it out there but this. Not expecting anything but an awesome game to be created and so far it's great. :cool:

rastaah
03-08-2017, 07:20 PM
I don't think it is a bad subject at all but I won't be putting mine down as I don't want to appear to be flexing some sort of gaming muscle lol.

I also would not ever think it gave me any rights beyond what was promised in the write up at the donation page (ie the things I'd get for my money)

I will say I am determined to be playing it a while :D

Great game!

alleryn
03-08-2017, 07:28 PM
I donated my yearly entertainment budget, because it seemed the best use for it.

Ecit: I'm sure there are other good projects out there and everyone's expenses vary. This is what i'm interested in at the moment, so i was able to direct my funds this way. I certainly don't mean to place any expectations on anyone else.

Corakhan
03-09-2017, 01:29 AM
I try to follow Guybrush's old wisdom as much as possible.

https://mygaming.co.za/news/wp-content/uploads/monkey_island_never_pay_more_363856374.jpg

fellentier
03-09-2017, 01:39 AM
I try to follow Guybrush's old wisdom as much as possible.

https://mygaming.co.za/news/wp-content/uploads/monkey_island_never_pay_more_363856374.jpg

Generally, I would agree that this is fantastic advice. But for this game, I am trying to calculate what is the most that I can manage, and donate that. I have a very special place in my heart for this game, so I want to do what I can.

Khaylara
03-09-2017, 04:07 AM
@OP I wasn't trying to be mean, I do think that anonymous donation for whatever amount ppl can is the way to go. There's no need to delete your thread.What I can say for sure is that I intend to subscribe after my package runs out.

I do want to say something cash related though, what I like most is that the developers do not intend to ever have it pay to win. That's why I said that the difference between reward tiers is minimal, almost nothing is exclusive. Lycanthropy can be obtained via quest, same for mounts and other perks (like new races).

The - rather blunt - thing i said about "money doesn't entitle us to anything" ....I'm sure everyone had an experience of the sort in other games, especially on private servers. "You have to cater to MEEEE cause I paid"and that's a dangerous way to go, no creator should have to compromise for cash. From my point of view I paid too little since I was provided with entertainment for almost 3 years. So whatever criticism we put out on forum or in the suggestion box should be just that, he actually reads and takes things on board. The only "obligation" Citan has is to eventually release the game but I'm sure that he wants that more than us. What he does in the meantime we might hate it sometimes but it's his product, his call, regardless of how much any of us paid.

Anyway my previous post was not meant to be offensive in any way.

Tsugumori
03-09-2017, 08:27 AM
This game has no competitive aspects asides from bragging rights. If you're going to brag about how much you spent on it, who exactly are you trying to out do? And even then if you're of the opinion that you just want to support the game, (like Khay), it shouldn't matter how much you bought in/paid as it's about the game, nothing else.

I can't honestly remember how I found PG but I backed the kickstarter in 2015 and have played on and off since, I'm just a casual player who enjoys the game. The most important thing with investments is being able to think to yourself "Yes" with the question being 'Was this worth it?'.

Undoubtedly, PG has been worth it.

Zoelle
03-10-2017, 05:44 AM
I am going to keep this general and not quote anyone, thus the thread may not get closed as quickly after it turns into a flame war.

The OP originally started a thread on 3/6 re questions about the benefits from the various patron packages. He/she received only 1 nicely detailed answer. On 3/8 the OP tries again and words it a little bit differently and out come the projections (google it if you don't know what projection is) and pitchforks.

To answer the OP question. Several years ago I received a call from an old AC2 buddy saying AC2 was back and also that Citan was dev'ing his own game. I saved the link for what Citan was doing and immediately started playing AC2 again. I've checked in on the Citan project over the years but didn't start playing/testing it. When the notice was put out that AC2 was closing those of us left of like mind decided to try PG. I loved it.

After playing a couple of weeks I looked over the packages, making a list of what they involved. All I cared about is a horse and a house. So while the $500 package would give me those I asked my husband if he cared if I bought us each the $1000 package. That way I got what I wanted out of the game and I was also supporting the game. I've tried many games and PG is the only one that I've enjoyed outside of AC2.

So that addresses the OP question. Now to address all of those that opined with their pitchforks. No where did the OP say or indicate anything such as..."Hey how much are you giving to PG cause I want us to flex muscles and brag." Obviously written text can be interpreted differently but I really feel as though the OP was immediately attacked and intimidated for simply asking about the packages. And outside of the original thread re packages he still didn't get a lot of detail about why you'd pick the package you did.

Being the recipient of said pitchforks last month I decided to take a couple week break and think about the game some before spending money. The people I know ingame I've known for years and like and respect them. When I was pitchforked ingame and on the forum last month, I received many nice pm's on the forum and ingame to just ignore them. I decided to do that and I've decided to go with the $500 packages. It gives me the horse and the house. That way I can lock the front door and the pitchforkers will have to actually peek in my windows to watch me mule. And if the pitchforking doesn't stop and I decide not to continue playing then I don't have as much invested in the game.

I guess we were just insulated in AC2 because we didn't have much if any negatively on our forums or ingame. There were people that had different opinions re boxing/botting etc but we had a small community like PG has and people weren't usually attacked like they are here.

I get that some have been around for a long time and wear it like a badge but given that the game will be releasing at some point this year, we're going to have another influx of players. In some ways I think the AC/AC2 player influx was a nice test.

For those that were beaten as a child, their spouse cheated on them, they were born ugly, whatever excuse you want to use for your immediate need to mistrust, jump all over people, use pitchforks, etc please take a breath. The majority of gamers aren't coming to the forums or game trying to brag or cheat. They simply want additional information. People have already posted complaining about people asking questions in general chat so many people come to the forums to get questions answered.

If your desire is to keep the game in beta and keep a small community of those that have been here for a long time then you probably need to talk to Citan because I am fairly certain he didn't go through all this trouble for that. If Citans plans pan out then more players will come and you will have to learn to adjust or I guess just craft more pitchforks.

My point outside of answering the OPs question, lay down the pitchforks, no one is trying to burn down Serb.

rastaah
03-10-2017, 08:27 AM
No no no :) I said "I don't want to flex my gaming muscle' because if you read the posts above mine, well 'nuff said' :) Who would want to tell what they paid after reading that ? Nothing against that poster was her/his opinion but I am certainly not going to say what I got when it is very clearly looked down upon so for me the best answer was "I am not going to tell because I don't want to look like the person the above poster just described" :)

Need to read a little more between the lines there but the rest of your post is great. (Don't assume you know why people said what they said in other words)

There is no way in the environment presented I would talk about my package :)

(PS won't it eventually show as a forum title anyway? I don't care about that but anyway.....there will always be jealousy when people can afford more than another person and trust me that goes on in any hobby and any game)

Zoelle
03-10-2017, 09:02 AM
No no no :) I said "I don't want to flex my gaming muscle' because if you read the posts above mine, well 'nuff said' :)

Worry not, I wasn't referring to you and flexing. Nor did you come off that way. :)

And yes, you read between the lines well. Thank you. :)

rastaah
03-10-2017, 09:55 AM
Ok good :) was worried I did! Thanks.

Tagamogi
03-10-2017, 11:36 AM
I'm with Khaylara. I don't think discussing relative player wealth is going to help the game.

I would find a discussion along the lines of "Which benefits in the game packages do you find particularly appealing?" to be interesting. If it moves on to "What did you actually buy?" then the discussion is basically going to be appeal vs spare cash, and the spare cash answer is going to depend on each player's personal finances. I don't really feel the need to know that. For one thing, I'm not really into sharing private stuff. For another, I think talking too much about money can get divisive, as Khaylara said. It doesn't have to go as far as flexing muscles but I don't think comparing financial situations is really an appropriate topic for a public game forum.

If you really want to share how much exactly you spend on games, I'm not going to try to lock down this thread to stop you. Just saying that I think there are better ways to discuss this topic than going into exact money amounts.

rastaah
03-10-2017, 11:42 AM
Well the only issue is since everyone knows what comes with each tier and you discuss why you chose that tier (say for the benefits and why those mattered to you enough to part with that much cash) then people are just by default going to figure out what you spent . No way to talk about the benefits vs non benefits of each tier without people knowing sort of what you think or paid :)

There is nothing wrong with supporting the game. I think the issue might be people who have been here on this game a looooooong time but maybe are broke in real life feeling somewhat minimized by people coming in late in the game, dropping a hunk of dough and then acting like they own the place :D

That is just my guess why people are getting a little persnickety to talk of this stuff.

cratoh
03-13-2017, 12:42 PM
I chose the $100 option, and have had my moneys worth over and over again. I shall soon buy another pack I imagine, and probably back some more before release. I have spent tons of money over the years on MMOs and being able to donate to a game in the making is great, especially one that is so entertaining. I don't think twice about going out for dinner or for a load of drinks or to a gig or something and spending a load of money on one night out, PG is super value!

cratoh
03-13-2017, 12:44 PM
There is nothing wrong with supporting the game. I think the issue might be people who have been here on this game a looooooong time but maybe are broke in real life feeling somewhat minimized by people coming in late in the game, dropping a hunk of dough and then acting like they own the place :D

That is just my guess why people are getting a little persnickety to talk of this stuff.

It makes no difference if you have been here 1 day or since day 1, everyone is equal. Same as it makes no difference if you have spent £1000 or $1.. no ones opinion counts more than anyone else. As long as people remember that everything will be fine.

rastaah
03-13-2017, 02:29 PM
Right , that is how I feel :) But I think some are worried about it. As otherwise I can't imagine being upset that someone spent more than you . Just my 3 cents :D

Khaylara
03-13-2017, 03:31 PM
I posted a link with the packages and what each of them has as perks for OP. In case that went unnoticed. *insert pitchfork emoji*

Tsugumori
03-14-2017, 04:36 AM
*insert pitchfork emoji*

Dunno if this will work...

🔱

Khaylara
03-14-2017, 04:44 PM
...that's a trident:P

@OP-I hope you got the info and hope you enjoy the game:)

I wanted to make my other comments clear, hopefully it doesn't trigger more negative responses. It's not about feeling threatened about newcomers dropping a chunk of cash and getting things their way. Citan doesn't seem like the type to put up with that, rather the opposite. I saw many temper tantrums thrown on the (old and new) forums by players enraged that things didn't go their way. From "why you nerfed my char!!" to "you don't let me multibox on 8 accounts, too bad, I would've paid you $ 2000 but not gonna now!".

I really think that's the wrong attitude to have, it's stupid really, if you go see a movie and pay for it you can't have the story changed cause you didn't like it. I get it's gaming and more interactive but the point I'm trying to make is if this particular developer is quite open discussing his ideas and the content of his creation that doesn't mean we can make demands or influence it somehow (we do anyway cause he actually listens to our feedback). I think it's a privilege actually to be part of something creative that people enjoy using. I preordered many games at like $120 a pop which gave me only few hours of beta testing. Needless to say I could never make any demands regarding the content and nobody needed my feedback.
Not brown nosing here, I gave plenty of negative feedback myself (too much actually), my comments were mostly directed at ourselves. This is generally a community of nice people and I'm sure we want to keep it that way w/o bratty behavior and cracking it when things don't go our way.

Obviously that was a general comment (related to paying for the game) and not directed to the OP (who seems like a very nice person) at all.

Easylivin
03-14-2017, 04:56 PM
After weighing the costs versus reward I bought the package I thought would be the best reward in the KS. If I had to buy now I would spend a bit more.

rastaah
03-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Most people that are going to pay upwards of 500.00 on an alpha game have an investment mindset and know darn well investments are shaky at best and that as an investor in something you have little say in how it is run, basically its like "sit back and buckle up you are in for a ride'.

You are paying for fun factor in those packages really.

I could be wrong, my 3 cents.

Zoelle
03-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Most people that are going to pay upwards of 500.00 on an alpha game have an investment mindset and know darn well investments are shaky at best and that as an investor in something you have little say in how it is run, basically its like "sit back and buckle up you are in for a ride'.

You are paying for fun factor in those packages really.

I could be wrong, my 3 cents.

Your cents make sense. ;) Many of us have experience with Citan and the dev team from a prior game(s) that extends to over a decade ago. So we have faith in his/their goals and passion. The fact that Citan and the dev team have poured their hearts into creating this game, the fact that they have encouraged and welcomed the feedback from players and tolerated the bs that comes up along the way makes a player feel even better about investing in this game.

The initial 2 months I spent playing the game verified in my mind that it was definitely worth the time spent trying it out and worth a financial investment on my part. And even with the various opinions I don't regret it; I hope they get lost/diluted in the crowd of happy go lucky-I'm just here to relax and enjoy myself gamers.

It also doesn't hurt that many of our fellow guildees have been ingame and/or rl friends for several years to 14+ years.

So as I said to Srand and the dev team shortly after starting PG, you guys have done a great job, ty for creating a great game that offered many of us old fans a new game option. As an experienced business owner I say extra grats for pursuing a dream, goals and producing a game that is able to cater to many different players styles.

As I mentioned before, I and many of us kept tabs on the game over the years and one of my favorite Citan quotes paraphrased is..."If I weren't already bald I would've pulled my hair out."

Huge thanks Citan, Srand, devs for supporting each other and sticking with your dream. I'd much rather play and support a game created out of love than buy another MASS produced game that a corp is simply pushing out.

Sending much <3 and encouragement.

rastaah
03-14-2017, 10:29 PM
I like your thinking Zoelle! And I am newer but love to read the history and how it has gone. I am 100% on board :) <3 And the fun factor is high!