PDA

View Full Version : Bat Form

Greyfyn
03-05-2017, 01:35 PM
Frightening!

http://i.imgur.com/YiSQbYg.png

Tiamat
03-05-2017, 04:19 PM
I can't say I would hate the option to switch between old school bat form and this one since some people like it. Maybe a VIP benefit? :D I personally don't like what looks like me dramatically failing to open a ketchup bottle with my mouth.

Also where did the fur go? Gazluk is COLD! I need more fur not less!

The eyes are alright I think, but the glowing eyes were cooler still.

Greyfyn
03-05-2017, 05:07 PM
It's funny how familiar you get with character models. I can still picture all the holes in my old wings. The old form was definitely more chill for hanging around town. As a bat on my alt, I never quite envisioned myself in full vampire form. And I think that's what this is. So maybe there could still be two forms.

cratoh
03-06-2017, 02:13 AM
Maybe add the option /wipemouth? I mean, I have always thought of Tia as fairly fastidious.

Tsugumori
03-06-2017, 03:33 AM
At this stage I feel as if bats would drop snouts too :/

The yellow glowy eyes and as Greyfyn said, the hole-riddled wings were the staples of old bat. I wouldn't say 'cute', endearing maybe...

lilibat
03-06-2017, 06:47 AM
I prefer the old one pretty strongly. I don't like the messy mouth at all. :(

Tagamogi
03-06-2017, 09:21 AM
The yellow glowy eyes and as Greyfyn said, the hole-riddled wings were the staples of old bat. I wouldn't say 'cute', endearing maybe...

"Adorable"? ;) I think I also used "cuddly" and "fluffy" to describe the old bat form but I may have gotten a bit carried away there...

It would be nice if there was an option for bat players to pick the bat form they prefer. I have a bat alt that I was vaguely planning to level up some day but with the current form, that's not going to happen - I scare myself just logging her in. I appreciate that a lot of work has gone into the new form and some people prefer it, but to me it just looks desperately in need of more fur...

ShieldBreaker
03-06-2017, 09:42 AM
So Citan isn't happy just legacy my gear, now he has to legacy my Postcards days after I post them. :D j/k

I had a cool idea is why I am really posting. Citan said that being unclean will have an visual effect on the look of our characters at some point. So I was thinking what if how bloody your bat form looks is based on how unclean/unrighteous you are at the moment. If it has to be a particle effect attached, a slow dripping blood effect should work. Then further what if bat wing rings, or whatever their jewelry is, returns the glowy eyes and also basically adjusted your cleanliness and righteousness to levels determined by different pieces of jewerly, so bats could have an item that basically makes them scary looking if that is what they want, but switch to a different one and become a cuddly bat.

lilibat
03-07-2017, 02:33 PM
To me bats are cute, all bats IRL are cute I mean. I collect plushy bats. Most of my jewelry has bats on it. BATS!

I still don't like the new bat model even after trying to get used to it by looking back at this thread.

drivendawn
03-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Really love the new model, it's graphically better and looks artistically better to me as well.

ShieldBreaker
03-07-2017, 03:52 PM
I actually like the eyes better on the new model, the super glowy eyes freaked me out. Now if you could control how evil the eyes looked overall, that would be amazing.

Zoelle
03-10-2017, 06:13 AM
I prefer the old one pretty strongly. I don't like the messy mouth at all. :(

Completely agree. If elves can be sexy then bats should be cute. Or at least have the option to be a cute bat or evil looking bat. I'm even willing to do a quest to make my bat cute again. It would make great NPC chat....

Rita - Blanche have you seen those horrid looking bats, they're so dirty and evil looking.

Blanche - I completely agree. Make them bath, but they need their own washing pond. I don't want them near me.

Rita - Well ask one of your hunky beaus to dig them a pond.

Blanche - I'll have them do the work but you or one of your beaus is going to have to give them favor, I don't want them touching me...

rastaah
03-10-2017, 08:32 AM
I did not play during the old form but I do prefer it. The red mouth is off putting to me as well lol.

Fyr
03-17-2017, 07:45 PM
Not a big fan of the new look. Its not a horrible "look" as the grotesque appearance I believes adds somewhat to the whole entire experience (from looking at many of the descriptions of their abilities seems to suggest that your not exactly meant to be cute in any way) but it there's parts of it which just feel like they miss the mark.

Citan
04-08-2017, 02:18 PM
I wanted to drop a note about the bat form. The old bat was a store-bought model -- we use third-party art for a lot of our monsters, and then alter them as needed -- that lacked some of the technical bits that would make it look good in the future. As we slowly evolve the game's graphical assets, we need to phase out models that lack things like normal-maps, because eventually they'd stick out really badly. SO! When the artist who made the original bat had an "upgraded" version of the bat, we grabbed it, because it has the missing technical bits. However, it wasn't an upgrade -- it turned out to be a complete remake.

It's hard to gauge the overall popularity of this model versus the other, especially since the old one isn't readily available to look at. But I'll keep listening (in this thread and others). In the last major update, I turned off the blood on the bat's fur. Whether this is an improvement or not is up in the air -- what's your opinion?

I'm hopeful that we can make this bat work, but if not, there are some other third-party bat models out there that might work, and of course we do have monsters custom-made for us -- though the queue for customization is pretty long, so a fully custom bat wouldn't happen soon.

As always, we're reading even when not responding, so keep giving feedback! Thanks!

Sheawanna
04-08-2017, 03:20 PM
I like the fact that you turned off the blood , TY . Still am not a fan of the facial features the nose looks like a pigs snout . perhaps more fur and soften the facial features ?
Also on a side note would be great if lets say you dyed the boots your claws would show the dye same for gloves maybe the wing talons would show up the color .

BetaNotus
04-08-2017, 07:20 PM
I thought I posted in this thread, but I guess not. While the new bat model is nice, it's not particularly friendly looking. I'd say it works well for the bats in Lab, but not players... Then again, my opinion is probably based on familiarity with the old model. The new bat reminds me more of a Vampire Bat, while the old one was a more cuddly Megabat.

lilibat
04-08-2017, 08:04 PM
I need to unbat when I log back in next. I'm just not happy with this at all. :-/

Luconis
04-08-2017, 11:56 PM
Being an Australian I'd love to see these added as a new model.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=flying+fox&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBgPKP45bTAhVIopQKHdvoC7IQ_AUICCgB&biw=1360&bih=633

Flying foxes are where its at.

lilibat
04-09-2017, 03:28 AM
being an australian i'd love to see these added as a new model.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=flying+fox&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=x&ved=0ahukewjbgpkp45btahviopqkhdvoc7iq_auiccgb&biw=1360&bih=633

flying foxes are where its at.

signed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tchey
04-09-2017, 08:02 AM
So many possibilities not to be "monster" Bats :

http://kentbatgroup.org.uk/images/newweb/ble.jpg

and others :

http://readtiger.com/img/wkp/en/Ectophylla_alba_in_hand.jpg

http://www.sciencemag.org/sites/default/files/styles/article_main_large/public/images/bat.jpg?itok=pc-DoUmM

http://blog.cwf-fcf.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/bat..jpg

Zoelle
04-09-2017, 11:34 PM
I've been tied up in rl this week so am finally checking forums. Ty for responding Citan and for already making some adjustments to the bat. I'll check her out as soon as I'm free in a couple of days. Tyty!