PDA

View Full Version : Textile creation (time, storage, comparison to other processing crafts, thoughts)

Eachna
03-05-2017, 06:31 AM
I wrote apost enthusing about Tailoring and it ended up shifting into a discussion about various problems with Textile Creation.

So I thought I'd split out some of those posts and try to start a new topic.

I would agree with you that tailoring is enjoyable simply because you can do everything while watching a movie. except for 1 problem and that is textiles.

when compairing tailoring with leatherworking for example tanning has zero craft times for all of its recipes. while tailoring for level 70 gear requires 9.25 4s crafts just to make the materials to make a single piece of gear.

for a single 70 lvl cowl for example this is total number of crafts

3.5x carded cotton
2x fine cotton thread for 4 thread (1 needed for cotton thread)
1x coarse cotton thread for 2 thread (needed for volatile muslin)
.75x cotton thread for 3 cotton thread (2 needed for volatile muslin, 1 for craft)
2x volatile muslin

then an additional 4s craft to make the piece of gear. in total 41s of crafting to make a single lvl 70 cowl while leatherworking only has 1 craft time+ instant crafts for all tanning recipes.

so no I'm sorry tailoring needs some work imo, it already takes 23k cotton to hit max and that takes around 50-60 hours of gardening. add on the extra worthless craft times and you can easily push that into 80+ hours.

Weird, my experience to completely opposite. For leatherworking I will store a few types of skins, and... that's it. With tailoring, I store many different items and intermediate products like Cotton Threads, add to that bottles of water that are sort of required if you grow cotton, and one of my storage is just full of tailoring items, never getting empty.

Perhaps that has to do with Textile being for not only Tailoring but also Flower Arrangement and Cheesemaking.

It has a lot of branch options and if the issue is storage than I can only imagine the response being "use storage sparingly" or "be more proactive with managing space". I ignored tailoring for the longest time because eh.. wolf gear > everything. Starting up in it I do find it interesting so I suppose this is a topic I may need to come back to.

Eachna
03-05-2017, 06:34 AM
My impressions of textile creation in no particular order:

Gardening for cotton and textile creation isn't much fun for me. I find gardening just slow enough that my attention wanders, and just fast enough that I can't really do anything else. I know plenty of people like it, so I just lump it. I'm not expecting to enjoy every system.

I've never read anyone writing enthusiastically in chat about how relaxing combing cotton is in game (or spinning various threads), so I'm not convinced that people like textile creation anywhere near as much as gardening.

I haven't picked up flower arranging yet, so I don't know what storage pain it'll cause.

I find the lack of a cotton gin in Serbule Keep really annoying. I keep writing suggest messages to add one and there continues to be a lack. I can't see that having one in Serbule would cause botting, and I don't see how it could "balance" anything as all the other crafts are there. There's only two reasons I leave Serbule to craft now and they're interconnected: There's a cotton gin in Rahu and I'm short storage in Serbule for my gems. Since most of the equipment I use my gems for is cloth armor, I store my gems near the gin in Rahu. I would shuffle stuff around and move my gems to Serbule if there was a cotton gin there.

I'm sure there's more but it's getting late here so I'm heading off to sleep.

Edit: I wish Silk was more useful for non-spiders. Can we get some silk cloth armor recipes and give more textile creators a reason to learn to make silk?

alleryn
03-05-2017, 07:02 AM
Personally i think Textile Creation is in a good spot, but Tanning is too simplistic (all the recipes are basically the same), easy (the mats are not at all difficult to acquire), and fast (well personally i like having some downtime where i can put skills on auto. I don't really understand why it's faster to tan skins when you mash your mouse button).

In terms of storage, i'd agree that tanning/leatherworking is more storage intensive. I found myself amassing quite a few stacks of the lower skins before i was able to pay for the pricey leatherworking recipes to make use of them. Tailoring/texties was, if anything, the opposite, where i could have acquired recipes had i wanted before i really had the fertilizer to spare to grow sufficient cotton to tailor anything.

I know this thread (pardon the pun, if any) is supposed to be about Textile Creation; feel free to tan my hide if i've gone to far astray.

ShieldBreaker
03-05-2017, 11:44 AM
The placement of forges, work order boards, storage and cotton gins seems to be a design decision. I would say that they encourage players to move out of Serbule and travel between different towns. I would also think that if you can build your own crafting workshop in your house then the fact you can't get all the crafting equipment in every location will be a driving factor for crafters to get housing. Also guilds when they get backrooms might have full sets of equipment and I can see that being interesting in particular if it is only the guild home city that has a backroom.

I think it was exciting getting better methods to card cotton. If you could build better cotton gins that went faster and gave more perfect cotton or reduced cotton needed to use that would be even more exciting.

The cheesemaking makes me keep all sorts of cloths, the inputs into textile creation themselves don't seem all that bad, Skins seem worse, so many kinds, so easy to get. Gem gathering slows down both my tailoring and leatherworking so end up stockpiling raw materials. If I wasn't trying to do all the crafting I probably wouldn't have any storage problems.

Eachna
03-05-2017, 04:51 PM
The placement of forges, work order boards, storage and cotton gins seems to be a design decision. I would say that they encourage players to move out of Serbule and travel between different towns. I would also think that if you can build your own crafting workshop in your house then the fact you can't get all the crafting equipment in every location will be a driving factor for crafters to get housing. Also guilds when they get backrooms might have full sets of equipment and I can see that being interesting in particular if it is only the guild home city that has a backroom.

I don't have every trade skill yet so I probably missed something, but I think we have every crafting item except cotton gins in Serbule. I can definitively say that I can craft any trade skill I've already learned in Serbule other than combing cotton. That's not encouraging crafting to move around the map or encouraging future cash shop sales, the limit is only on one step of one craft.

There's also three tanning racks and two of them are right next to each other. I can see why there'd be two - with so many uses for tanning racks it's helpful to have a second one for overflow. But I don't see a reason for three (other than one was supposed to be a cotton gin and never got fixed).

As for housing, if I can get crafting stations in my future home or guild hall I will, but I think it'll be a mistake if Citan decides to do that. It happens over and over again on MMOs - devs sell private crafting options in the cash shop and then the cities turn into ghost towns.

I think it was exciting getting better methods to card cotton. If you could build better cotton gins that went faster and gave more perfect cotton or reduced cotton needed to use that would be even more exciting.

Oh yes! More perfect cotton per batch (or more reductions in the number of raw cotton items needed to card) or better cotton gins around the world.

Dmdtt2
03-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Oh yes! More perfect cotton per batch (or more reductions in the number of raw cotton items needed to card) or better cotton gins around the world.

you can get more perfect cotton per batch using cottonworker's displays made from flower arrangement, can reach around a 65-70% chance per carded cotton to get a perfect cotton. more than enough to use up all carded cotton for any recipe.

Eachna
03-06-2017, 12:42 AM
you can get more perfect cotton per batch using cottonworker's displays made from flower arrangement, can reach around a 65-70% chance per carded cotton to get a perfect cotton. more than enough to use up all carded cotton for any recipe.

That's good to know Dm. Thanks. Is there a way to spin threads faster?

Tagamogi
03-06-2017, 11:14 AM
Personally i think Textile Creation is in a good spot, but Tanning is too simplistic (all the recipes are basically the same), easy (the mats are not at all difficult to acquire), and fast (well personally i like having some downtime where i can put skills on auto. I don't really understand why it's faster to tan skins when you mash your mouse button).
I like tanning the way it is. It feels nice and relaxing to have one skill in Gorgon that is really just a simple combine.

I think the reason button smashing is faster than putting tanning on auto-repeat is just a temporary UI thing. I want to say I've seen it happen with other stuff too - potato cubes maybe?

In terms of storage, i'd agree that tanning/leatherworking is more storage intensive. I found myself amassing quite a few stacks of the lower skins before i was able to pay for the pricey leatherworking recipes to make use of them. Tailoring/texties was, if anything, the opposite, where i could have acquired recipes had i wanted before i really had the fertilizer to spare to grow sufficient cotton to tailor anything.

Agreed on that one. Another nice thing about tanning/leatherworking is that there is a pretty unlimited supply of hides available on vendor used tabs if you do run out - everyone seems to be getting more hides than they actually need. So, yes, it's pretty much the opposite of cotton.

Anyway, back to textile creation:
I think what I dislike most is that everything needs cotton. I'd like more variety - let's have some wool-only recipes, and start growing flax and er, whatever other fiber options are out there. More spidersilk recipes would also be cool.

I'm not very fond of the need to process textiles multiple times. I like the idea in principle, but when I start out with "I need 10 cotton thread and 10 fine cotton yarn", and then try to calculate how many raw cotton, perfect cotton, carded cotton, whatever cotton I actually need in order to create that, it starts feeling too convoluted pretty quickly. It's also a problem for me that I can't just put the thread recipe on auto-repeat, since I don't want to process all my cotton, just create x threads... I'm hoping the new UI will address that problem though. I also find sorting what I need fairly difficult since all the icons for different materials look the same - again, that's something that will be fixed.

I don't really mind the cotton gin in Eltibule - since cotton only grows there and it requires 35 gardening to grow your own, not having a cotton gin in the starter zone makes some sense to me. Admittedly, it's inconvenient, too.