PDA

View Full Version : Bowyer

Easylivin
02-18-2017, 08:43 AM
Version 2.0 Update Click Here! (http://forum.projectgorgon.com/showthread.php?255-Bowyer&p=2585&viewfull=1#post2585)

A bowyer is someone who makes bows.

Some key points/ideas/concepts

A bow can get better with additional tillering
A level 1 archer could have a bow made for them, and have it tillered as they level, the bow would “level” too
A green bow can become yellow(or yellow become green) by Un-Stringing and repeating tiller step.

Skills:
Bowyer: req Archery 50, Carpentry 50, Ruminant Anatomy 50, Fish and Snail Anatomy 50

Recipes
Bowyer:

String Longbow 1-10 - req longbow core + longbow string => results in usable strung bow
String Composite Bow 1-10 - req composite bow core + composite bow string => results in usable strung bow
Un-String Longbow 1-10 - removes string from bow => results in longbow core(can be tillered or restrung)
Un-String Composite Bow 1-10 - removes string from bow => results in composite bow core(can be tillered or restrung)
Carve Horn - 2 large horns => results in carved horns
Rough Composite Bow Core - 2 short bow limbs, glue, 2 carved horns, 2 sinews => rough composite bow core
Longbow String - long sinew must be near stove => longbow string
Composite Bow String - sinew must be near stove => composite bow string

Longbow Tillering 1-10 - requires longbow core =RNG=> (chance to change the quality of the bow, if successful the level reqs go up) longbow core, if failed, reduces durability % must be tillered before strung

Composite Bow Tillering 1-10 - requires composite bow core =RNG=> (chance to change the quality of the bow, if successful the level reqs go up) longbow core, if failed, reduces durability % must be tillered before strung

Carpentry:

Carve Longbow Core - 1 perfect long wood + 2 skill gems => longbow core
Carve Composite Bow Limbs - 2 perfect wood => composite bow limbs
Carve Composite Bow Core - rough composite bow core + 2 skill gems=> composite bow core

Items:

perfect long wood
composite bow limbs
rough composite bow core
composite bow core
longbow core
carved horns
long sinew
longbow string
composite bow string

Example with numbers: http://forum.projectgorgon.com/showthread.php?255-Bowyer&p=2418&viewfull=1#post2418

Some use cases

Longbow(warbow):
Steps:

Carve Longbow Core
Longbow Tillering 1
String Longbow 1 (Archery req 1-10)
Un-String Longbow 1
Longbow Tillering 2
String Longbow 2 (Archery req 11-20)
Un-String Longbow 2
Longbow Tillering 3
String Longbow 3 (Archery req 21-30)
Un-String Longbow 3
Longbow Tillering 4
String Longbow 4 (Archery req 31-40)
Un-String Longbow 4
Longbow Tillering 5
String Longbow 5 (Archery req 41-50)
Un-String Longbow 5
Longbow Tillering 6
String Longbow 6 (Archery req 51-60)
Un-String Longbow 6
Longbow Tillering 7
String Longbow 7 (Archery req 61-70)
Un-String Longbow 7
Longbow Tillering 8
String Longbow 8 (Archery req 71-80)
Un-String Longbow 8
Longbow Tillering 9
String Longbow 9 (Archery req 81-90)
Un-String Longbow 9
Longbow Tillering 10
String Longbow 10 (Archery req 91-100)
Un-String Longbow 10

Composite bow(horn bow):
Steps:

Carve Composite Bow Limbs
Carve Horn
Rough Composite Bow Core
Carve Composite Bow Core
Composite Bow Tillering 1
String Composite Bow 1 (Archery req 1-10)
Un-String Composite Bow 1
Composite Bow Tillering 2
String Composite Bow 2 (Archery req 11-20)
Un-String Composite Bow 2
Composite Bow Tillering 3
String Composite Bow (Archery req 21-30)
Un-String Composite Bow 3
Composite Bow Tillering 4
String Composite Bow (Archery req 31-40)
Un-String Composite Bow 4
Composite Bow Tillering 5
String Composite Bow (Archery req 41-50)
Un-String Composite Bow 5
Composite Bow Tillering 6
String Composite Bow (Archery req 51-60)
Un-String Composite Bow 6
Composite Bow Tillering 7
String Composite Bow (Archery req 61-70)
Un-String Composite Bow 7
Composite Bow Tillering 8
String Composite Bow (Archery req 71-80)
Un-String Composite Bow 8
Composite Bow Tillering 9
String Composite Bow (Archery req 81-90)
Un-String Composite Bow 9
Composite Bow Tillering 10
String Composite Bow (Archery req 91-100)
Un-String Composite Bow 10

LaRaj
02-18-2017, 07:35 PM
Interesting concept, some aspect of this might be good.

Easylivin
02-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Interesting concept, some aspect of this might be good.
Can you expand on that?

Eachna
02-27-2017, 03:21 PM
Some key points/ideas/concepts

A bow can get better with additional tillering
A level 1 archer could have a bow made for them, and have it tillered as they level, the bow would “level” too
A green bow can become yellow(or yellow become green) by Un-Stringing and repeating tiller step.

I love the idea of being able to craft bows (and other weapons besides staves/clubs).

I do not like the suggestion that there be a simple mechanic to upgrade items to better colors. I would like to see yellow gear being harder to get, not easier.

Easylivin
02-27-2017, 04:55 PM
I love the idea of being able to craft bows (and other weapons besides staves/clubs).

I do not like the suggestion that there be a simple mechanic to upgrade items to better colors. I would like to see yellow gear being harder to get, not easier.

3rd bullet point mentions
A green bow can become yellow(or yellow become green)

So a bow could be yellow level 10 req., get tillered become green level 20 req.

It might not have been clear but with each tillering attempt the RNG gets rolled. So the result could be failed,white,green,blue,pink,red,yellow.

Longbow Tillering 1-10 - requires longbow core =RNG=> (increases the quality of the bow) longbow core, if failed, reduces durability % must be tillered before strung

With enough failed attempts the bow should be destroyed.

Eachna
02-27-2017, 06:12 PM
3rd bullet point mentions

So a bow could be yellow level 10 req., get tillered become green level 20 req.

It might not have been clear but with each tillering attempt the RNG gets rolled. So the result could be failed,white,green,blue,pink,red,yellow.

Or it could start as magenta level 10, get tillered, and become yellow level 20. I think we need less yellow gear in game. If you want a level-appropriate yellow bow just haunt the used tabs of vendors. Grab any one. Reroll all the mod slots. Eventually you'll have your perfect bow. When you're 10 levels higher, repeat.

The crafting and loot systems in the game are designed around supplying multiple gear sets and players replacing all those sets as they level. It's built around quantity, not quality. There's no room for sentiment and attachment and it would break the economy to have gear level with us.

I like the theoretical *idea* of leveling gear with my toon. I understand that it won't work in this game. And I'm very suspicious of any suggestions that would result in an item that's worse quality than yellow or magenta becoming yellow or magenta after processing.
I'm only one person though.

Easylivin
02-28-2017, 08:06 PM
Or it could start as magenta level 10, get tillered, and become yellow level 20. I think we need less yellow gear in game. If you want a level-appropriate yellow bow just haunt the used tabs of vendors. Grab any one. Reroll all the mod slots.
The RNG determines if an item is yellow or not. I'm not sure what to tell you about having less yellow gear, maybe talk to citan about changing the RNG.

Are you suggesting we remove crafting? Looting or checking vendors is always an option.

Eventually you'll have your perfect bow. When you're 10 levels higher, repeat.
You are missing the potential to fail. You could get a yellow but you could also fail. If you failed X times then the bow should be destroyed or unable to be tillered. This is not an issue.

The crafting and loot systems in the game are designed around supplying multiple gear sets and players replacing all those sets as they level. It's built around quantity, not quality. There's no room for sentiment and attachment and it would break the economy to have gear level with us. The tillering process could fail and destroy the bow. It appears I wasn't clear in that process or step. The result of tillering isn't always good, tillering can result in the bow being destroyed or lower quality, just like in real life.

http://i.imgur.com/biJISc7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uggwr9v.jpg

Here is some reading material on tillering if the process isn't clear. (http://poorfolkbows.com/oak7.htm)

I like the theoretical *idea* of leveling gear with my toon. I understand that it won't work in this game. And I'm very suspicious of any suggestions that would result in an item that's worse quality than yellow or magenta becoming yellow or magenta after processing.
I'm only one person though. It goes both ways. It can become yellow or it could become white OR even destroyed. There is a risk involved it isn't all puppies and kittens.

Also realize that a lvl 100 bow starts at lvl 0. It would need to be tillered 10 times successful lvl 100 bow.

Crissa
03-01-2017, 12:07 AM
Since an archer literally can't be without a weapon for their skill to work, it sorta makes sense for them to be attached to their item.

If you had to choose whether to go up in level (and down in grade) vs up in quality... That's kind of a cool mechanic. Kinda like how Transmuters can move things around.

I would like to see more crafters have access to that mechanic. Less random random gear, since it gets pretty... Random.

Eachna
03-01-2017, 10:58 PM
Are you suggesting we remove crafting? Looting or checking vendors is always an option.
I don't think it's constructive to have a bowyer to change the color/level of gear in conjuction with whatever color it gets on being generated into the game.

The tillering process could fail and destroy the bow. It appears I wasn't clear in that process or step. The result of tillering isn't always good, tillering can result in the bow being destroyed or lower quality, just like in real life.
What isn't clear to me is how a Bowyer fits into bow production.

Are you suggesting this as a unique crafting skill and a Bowyer would make all crafted bows in game?

Are you suggesting it as a weaponsmith (or carpentry) specialization that could make bows but would primarily be improving existing bows and crafted bows would also be made by other crafters?

I read it as the second option because I didn't see a reason to gate bowyers behind four level 50 skills (other than limiting how many people can make more yellow gear).

Here's a longer explanation of some of the problems I see (regardless of your intentions with Bowyer):
In the future, people will be crafting bows. Magical bows will primarily be crafted by combining materials with two gems to 'set' the skills. The RNG will spit these out as random colors. People will also be looting bows. These looted bows would come in all colors.

These two principles are what the economy is based on (looted gear and colored crafted gear made from gems + raw materials). *ANY* changes to this have to be examined very carefully as to how they'd effect the economy.

By using tillering, some percentage of those bows which were not already yellow would be further refined to be yellow. The rest tillered would be broken/downgraded/neutral. The tillering process you suggest is cheaper (in raw materials) than simply crafting a new bow which would encourage people to tiller bows (and discard the ones that were sub-optimal). There's no way to "force" this system to only be used by sentimental people who want to keep the same bow "for ever" and there's no way to "stop" bow crafters (or people buying bows from buy used tabs) to run it on bows intending to get better colors.

There are no checks or limits in place to make sure people didn't simply use tillering as "another" chance to get a yellow (or magenta) bow. The number of players willing to keep sub-optimal bows for sentimental reasons would likely be lower than the number of people chasing the best colors/numbers and the net result would be more yellow bows.

I think looking at the game we can see what missing systems will look like later. Gear will have mods and enhancement points. Missing magical weapon types will likely be crafted by combining various materials with two gems. The game is designed to churn through gear.

I agree that it would be cool to have gear items that follow you through the game but I don't think it's likely to happen. I haven't found an indication *anywhere* that Citan is willing to entertain any systems where you keep something from 1-100 (or whatever the final level will be).

Easylivin
03-02-2017, 06:14 AM
I don't think it's constructive to have a bowyer to change the color/level of gear in conjuction with whatever color it gets on being generated into the game.

What isn't clear to me is how a Bowyer fits into bow production.Bowyer is a suggested new craft skill that would allow players to craft bows. From Wikipedia: "A bowyer is someone who makes bows."

Are you suggesting this as a unique crafting skill and a Bowyer would make all crafted bows in game? yes

Are you suggesting it as a weaponsmith (or carpentry) specialization that could make bows but would primarily be improving existing bows and crafted bows would also be made by other crafters? craft bows, ATTEMPT to improve previously crafted bows

I read it as the second option because I didn't see a reason to gate bowyers behind four level 50 skills (other than limiting how many people can make more yellow gear). To be good at bowyer skill you need to understand the archery and things. If you are on a quest to reduce the amount of yellow gear please take it out of this thread, i'm not interested in talking about yellow gear drop rates or crafted yellow gear rates.

Here's a longer explanation of some of the problems I see (regardless of your intentions with Bowyer):
In the future, people will be crafting bows. Magical bows will primarily be crafted by combining materials with two gems to 'set' the skills. The RNG will spit these out as random colors. this is what i am talking about. that skill does not exist in game at this time. I am suggesting that skill.

By using tillering, some percentage of those bows which were not already yellow would be further refined to be yellow. you say WOULD but im saying and have been saying COULD. There is a difference. There is a CHANCE to improve the quality of the bow from some color to yellow, it is NOT guaranteed.

The rest tillered would be broken/downgraded/neutral. The tillering process you suggest is cheaper (in raw materials) than simply crafting a new bow which would encourage people to tiller bows (and discard the ones that were sub-optimal). There's no way to "force" this system to only be used by sentimental people who want to keep the same bow "for ever" and there's no way to "stop" bow crafters (or people buying bows from buy used tabs) to run it on bows intending to get better colors. There IS a way to stop them, its called the RNG.

There are no checks or limits in place to make sure people didn't simply use tillering as "another" chance to get a yellow (or magenta) bow. The number of players willing to keep sub-optimal bows for sentimental reasons would likely be lower than the number of people chasing the best colors/numbers and the net result would be more yellow bows. The goal of tillering is to make the best bow you can but you don't always get what you want. Maybe this will make it more clear. Tillering is the "craft a bow" recipe. One of the mats is that you have a crafted bow. When you hit the "Tiller" button it will execute the RNG, just as is done with crafting leather gear etc. I am suggesting adding an additional option to that RNG execute that is 100% failure and damage to the bow. This isn't an option in game now, currently you make an item no matter what.

Eachna
03-05-2017, 05:18 AM
Bowyer is a suggested new craft skill that would allow players to craft bows. From Wikipedia: "A bowyer is someone who makes bows."

I know what the word bowyer means. However, you didn't state in your initial post that you intended it to be the only way to craft bows in game.

To be good at bowyer skill you need to understand the archery and things.

50 in four skills (two of which are animal anatomies) is excessive for crafting a weapon.

If you are on a quest to reduce the amount of yellow gear please take it out of this thread, i'm not interested in talking about yellow gear drop rates or crafted yellow gear rates.

I wrote a longer post explaining yet again why your system would result in a net increase in yellow gear, but screw it.

The above line says it all. You're not interested in constructive feedback. You only want to hear what interests you.

Your suggested system is deeply flawed. End of feedback.

Easylivin
03-05-2017, 06:40 AM
I know what the word bowyer means. However, you didn't state in your initial post that you intended it to be the only way to craft bows in game.

50 in four skills (two of which are animal anatomies) is excessive for crafting a weapon. Nice feedback. I think its needed.

I wrote a longer post explaining yet again why your system would result in a net increase in yellow gear, but screw it. You are wrong. And I asked that we keep the yellow gear out. I'm not discussing drop or craft rates for yellow gear.

The above line says it all. You're not interested in constructive feedback. You only want to hear what interests you.

Your suggested system is deeply flawed. End of feedback.

You lack understanding in what I am suggesting, didn't ask for clarification before making assumptions, and now have shat in my thread.

Eachna
03-05-2017, 07:52 PM
You are wrong. And I asked that we keep the yellow gear out. I'm not discussing drop or craft rates for yellow gear.

No, you're wrong. That's very mature and adult of both of us, isn't it? Does it somehow make you feel better?

You're not "discussing" anything. You're just telling me I'm wrong, you don't want to listen, and I don't understand the meaning of basic English words. I've been raised believing that sort of behavior is a temper tantrum, not a critical discussion in systems design.

You lack understanding in what I am suggesting, didn't ask for clarification before making assumptions, and now have shat in my thread.

Saying there's no point in continuing a discussion isn't shitting on your thread.

You're sulking because I pointed out very large holes in your suggestion and you've decided I'm picking on you as a person.

Citan won't implement exactly what you want and I can point out the reasons why and none of those reasons are that he's one of a team of three who are over-worked building a MMO.

I do think there was the seed of a good idea in the original post, and I also think with just a little tweaking it can be adjusted to fit very well into the game systems. You don't need me to participate in this discussion to do that.

Easylivin
03-06-2017, 07:11 AM
You're sulking because I pointed out very large holes in your suggestion

Lets go through this. My goal is to make a lvl 50 bow.

For me to continue you need to understand the process I'm suggesting. To simplify the process assume you have all of the materials and skills required to make lvl 100 bow based on my suggestion. Also assume that you have executed the following recipe:

Carve Longbow Core

No RNGs were executed, this recipe produces a successful result every time.

--------------------------------------

Now for the RNG. To make this simple, and because I have no knowledge of the rates of different levels of gear, I will roll a single 6 sided dice(die) and assume the following:

1 is a failure
2-5 is "green gear"
6 is "yellow"

I will also assume that 3 failures is a broken bow. This is the durability point that I mentioned.

Here we go!

With those assumptions above I go to this site http://roll-dice-online.com/ and roll once. Outcome is 5.

My execution of Longbow Tillering 1 results in a green bow level 10 req.

Now I repeat.

With those assumptions above I go to this site http://roll-dice-online.com/ and roll once. Outcome is 3.

My execution of Longbow Tillering 2 results in a green bow level 20 req.

Now I repeat.

With those assumptions I go to this site http://roll-dice-online.com/ and roll once. Outcome is 2.

My execution of Longbow Tillering 3 results in a green bow level 30 req.

Now I repeat.

With those assumptions I go to this site http://roll-dice-online.com/ and roll once. Outcome is 4.

My execution of Longbow Tillering 4 results in a green bow level 40 req.

Now I repeat.

With those assumptions I go to this site http://roll-dice-online.com/ and roll once. Outcome is 3.

My execution of Longbow Tillering 5 results in a green bow level 50 req.

I'm done. I have my level 50 green bow.

Using that same site I rolled 5 dice, 10 times to simulate the above steps 10 different times.

4 - 6 - 2 - 1 - 3 (Avg: 3.2) Result: green level 40 bow

4 - 3 - 6 - 4 - 6 (Avg: 4.6) Result: yellow level 50 bow

1 - 3 - 5 - 4 - 3 (Avg: 3.2) Result: green level 40 bow

2 - 6 - 4 - 5 - 1 (Avg: 3.6) Result: green level 40 bow

6 - 5 - 3 - 5 - 5 (Avg: 4.8) Result: green level 50 bow

3 - 1 - 5 - 3 - 3 (Avg: 3.0) Result: green level 40 bow

3 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 6 (Avg: 3.0) Result: green level 40 bow

4 - 5 - 5 - 2 - 3 (Avg: 3.8) Result: green level 50 bow

6 - 2 - 5 - 4 - 2 (Avg: 3.8) Result: green level 50 bow

1 - 4 - 5 - 4 - 2 (Avg: 3.2) Result: green level 40 bow

I'm not saying that the rates I gave are the true rates of the game nor do I want to discuss the rates or am I suggesting rates. My point is that tillering is an attempt to get a perfect bow but it doesn't always happen.

---------------
For "fun" I will try to make a lvl 100 bow.

2 - 5 - 2 - 5 - 2 - 6 - 6 - 2 - 2 - 3 (Avg: 3.5) Result: green level 100 bow

1 - 4 - 4 - 2 - 5 - 1 - 4 - 6 - 3 - 6 (Avg: 3.6) Result: yellow level 80 bow
Roll again: 6 - 3 (Avg: 4.5) Result: green level 100 bow

6 - 4 - 4 - 6 - 3 - 4 - 1 - 4 - 6 - 2 (Avg: 4.0) Result: green level 90 bow
Roll again: 2 (Avg: 2.0) Result: green level 100 bow

5 - 1 - 1 - 6 - 2 - 1 - 5 - 6 - 6 - 3 (Avg: 3.6) Result: broken

3 - 4 - 5 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 3 (Avg: 3.3) Result: green level 90 bow
Roll again: 3 (Avg: 3.0) Result: green level 100 bow

3 - 3 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 1 - 3 - 3 - 5 (Avg: 3.2) Result: green level 90 bow
Roll again: 4 (Avg: 4.0) Result: green level 100 bow

5 - 2 - 3 - 6 - 5 - 6 - 4 - 4 - 6 - 5 (Avg: 4.6) Result: green level 100 bow

3 - 4 - 6 - 6 - 3 - 2 - 5 - 4 - 5 - 6 (Avg: 4.4) Result: yellow level 100 bow

1 - 4 - 6 - 4 - 6 - 2 - 6 - 4 - 3 - 4 (Avg: 4.0) Result: green level 90 bow
Roll again: 3 (Avg: 3.0) Result: green level 100 bow

6 - 3 - 4 - 2 - 5 - 2 - 2 - 5 - 3 - 2 (Avg: 3.4) Result: green level 100 bow

8 level 100 green bows
1 level 100 yellow bow
1 broken bow

I hope this clears things up.

Easylivin
03-07-2017, 05:38 AM
After making a few arrows yesterday I have some feedback for myself. It is more in line with the current crafting structure to use different woods for different levels of "bow cores"

For example, oak would be used to make 10, & 20 req bows. Maple 30,40. Cedar 50,60. Spruce 70,80.

This means additional carpentry recipes

Carve Longbow Core - 1 perfect long wood + 2 skill gems => longbow core
Carve Composite Bow Limbs - 2 perfect wood => composite bow limbs
Carve Composite Bow Core - rough composite bow core + 2 skill gems=> composite bow core

to(adding oak everywhere...):

Carve Oak Longbow Core - 1 perfect long oak wood + 2 skill gems => oak longbow core
Carve Oak Composite Bow Limbs - 2 perfect oak wood => oak composite bow limbs
Carve Oak Composite Bow Core - rough oak composite bow core + 2 skill gems=> oak composite bow core

The tillering process is still involved but only applied twice per bow unless there is a failure. Using different types of wood will give more control to the devs, which i assume is the purpose of the different wood types. It enables the addition of unique woods that result in unique bows, for example wood from a special tree/mob/thing will create a special bow.

It does kinda break the idea that a bow can level with your character, maybe special woods would enable this in the future. But even in real life one would move on from a plastic toy bow to a wood bow and beyond once their skills have improved.

Easylivin
03-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Version 2.0

Changes:

Removed some steps/recipes
Changed recipe mats
Added wood types, <wood>
More in line with PG verbiage

A bowyer is someone who makes bows. This is a suggestion for how the bowyer skill could work. Examples are given for the process of crafting the 2 suggested types of bows.

Bowyer requirements: Archery 50, Carpentry 50, Ruminant Anatomy 50, Fish and Snail Anatomy 50

Recipes:
Example Recipe:
Name - required items => results in

Bowyer:

Longbow String - 2 coarse cotton yarn => longbow string
Composite Bow String - coarse cotton yarn => composite bow string

Carve Horn - 2 large horns => carved horns

<wood> Composite Bow Blank - 2 perfect <wood> wood, glue, 2 carved horns, 2 sinews => <wood> composite bow blank

Longbow Tillering* - <wood> longbow core + longbow string OR CRAFTED <wood> Longbow =RNG=> <wood> Longbow
Composite Bow Tillering* - composite <wood> bow core + composite bow string OR CRAFTED <wood> Composite Bow =RNG=> <wood> Composite Bow

*chance to change the quality of the bow, if successful the bow is created and/or level reqs go up and/or quality changes. A bow can be successfully tillered a max of 2 times. If tillering fails the bow must be tillered again before use. The string is not used up on failure

Carpentry:

Carve <wood> Longbow Core - 1 perfect long <wood> wood + 2 skill gems => <wood> longbow core
Carve <wood> Composite Bow Core - <wood> composite bow stave + 2 skill gems=> <wood> composite bow core

Items:

perfect long oak wood
perfect long maple wood
perfect long cedar wood
perfect long spruce wood
oak composite bow blank
maple composite bow blank
cedar composite bow blank
spruce composite bow blank
composite bow core
longbow core
carved horns
longbow string
composite bow string

Examples with Numbers:

RNG will be http://roll-dice-online.com/
1 is failure
2-5 is green
6 is yellow

All materials are available and minimum skill levels reached.

Goal is to make a level 60 Quality Longbow

Execute the following recipes:
Longbow String
Carve Cedar Longbow Core

Now for the RNG to do it's thing, execute the following recipes with RNG:

Longbow Tillering - http://roll-dice-online.com/ - rolled a 1
Longbow Tillering - http://roll-dice-online.com/ - rolled a 1
Longbow Tillering - http://roll-dice-online.com/ - rolled a 5
Longbow Tillering - http://roll-dice-online.com/ - rolled a 6

Result is a level 60 (Yellow) Quality Long Bow

Goal is to make a level 40 Decent Composite Bow

Execute the following recipes:

Composite Bow String
Carve Horn
Maple Composite Bow Blank
Carve Composite Maple Bow Core

Now for the RNG to do it's thing, execute the following recipes with RNG:

Composite Bow Tillering - http://roll-dice-online.com/ - rolled a 2
Composite Bow Tillering - http://roll-dice-online.com/ - rolled a 2

Result is a level 40 (Green) Decent Composite Bow

Yertle
03-10-2017, 12:54 PM
The idea is cool, but I don't see it working as a combination of the mechanism for ALL bows in the game AND requiring 4 Skills to be 50, especially considering no one could probably even level an Archer to 50 without a Bow :P
I'd suggest moving the restrictions down (something like 25 Archery and 25 Carpentry makes sense from the hip for me), then finding a way of leveling as a Bowyer and therefore make increasingly better Bow Parts/Bows with leveling the Bowyer Skill (and lower/remove RNG).

Silvonis
03-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Let's keep the conversation(s) amicable and the criticism(s) constructive.

Easylivin
03-10-2017, 02:02 PM
The idea is cool, but I don't see it working as a combination of the mechanism for ALL bows in the game

This is for crafted bows only. Make sure to read version 2 update (http://forum.projectgorgon.com/showthread.php?255-Bowyer&p=2585&viewfull=1#post2585)

AND requiring 4 Skills to be 50, especially considering no one could probably even level an Archer to 50 without a Bow :P
I'd suggest moving the restrictions down (something like 25 Archery and 25 Carpentry makes sense from the hip for me),
I get that 50 is high, I don't even have 50 ruminant/fish anatomy. My thinking is that the skill reqs need to be "high" to get bowyer skill because making a bow is a complicated process. Level 25 would be an ok to start too but I think it needs to be similar to BC. By that I mean you don't get level 25 for the 3 skills and you are set for all bowyer abilities. With BC you have to keep leveling the other skills to get higher level BC abilities. If it was like BC then starting lower to get bowyer would be fine.

Of course if its too complicated to do this removing the reqs completely would put there along with the other crafting skills.

then finding a way of leveling as a Bowyer and therefore make increasingly better Bow Parts/Bows with leveling the Bowyer Skill (and lower/remove RNG).Just like other crafting skills a bowyer would execute recipes to get xp. I'm not sure I understand.:confused:

Yertle
03-10-2017, 10:32 PM
This is for crafted bows only. Make sure to read version 2 update (http://forum.projectgorgon.com/showthread.php?255-Bowyer&p=2585&viewfull=1#post2585)

Ahhh, gotchya. I didn't get that with the update.

KoaBosk
01-03-2020, 04:32 PM
I realize this is an old thread but I just heard about the game and purchased it a day ago. That being said, I really hope Bowyer will be a thing in the game. I'm not sure I like the idea of upgrading a bow as you level. Since you already have different types of wood in the game, Ceder, Maple, Oak, Spruce, Treant wood?... I would use these, the higher level wood being needed to make higher level bows. I always see in other games the use of different metals to make higher quality armor and weapons. Why not use the same for items made of wood, bows, furniture etc... Even arrows could be made from different woods for better quality arrows. Flint-napping makes sense to make stone arrow heads but I don't see the need to make it it's own skill when you could just throw it in with Fletching. Possible have a arrow head recipe in black smithing or weapon smithing making different types of steel arrow heads.

alleryn
01-03-2020, 04:46 PM
Saw this video the other day of some guys making a bow using stone age techniques. Pretty cool if you are into that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik7GbPEqljg

Lasc
01-03-2020, 05:34 PM
Love this, along with weapon and armor smith round out things nicely