PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting D/Cs

Arym
05-13-2020, 06:57 AM
Hello everyone,

Been playing a ton of PG while I'm stuck at home the past few weeks, but I've been suffering from fairly frequent connection errors that boot me from the game. I've dropped in zones where it was only me and a few people in the group, but the issue doesn't affect the other people in my group, so I think the error is on my side somewhere.

My network has been fine outside the game at these times (usually have twitch or youtube on in the background without any issues).

Are there any logs I can check that might have more details? Anyone have suggestions on what I can try to do to narrow down the issue?

PS - to make sure I'm not missing it, when you try to log back in and get the message "you're already logged in, cleaning up.. please log back in now" you need to exit the client and re-enter the game, right? I couldn't find a way to try to log back in without completely exiting the client since the button disappears.

Thanks,
Arym

Greyfyn
05-13-2020, 09:28 AM
To file reports on crashes, the following procedure can help:

https://forum.projectgorgon.com/showthread.php?1623-Turning-in-Crash-Reports&p=12115&viewfull=1#post12115

Other thoughts are that you can adjust graphics settings to be less demanding. Or possibly check your machine for overheating? I did have a laptop that regularly had issues with P:G until I got a cooling pad.

Silvonis
05-13-2020, 05:36 PM
Hello everyone,

Been playing a ton of PG while I'm stuck at home the past few weeks, but I've been suffering from fairly frequent connection errors that boot me from the game. I've dropped in zones where it was only me and a few people in the group, but the issue doesn't affect the other people in my group, so I think the error is on my side somewhere.

My network has been fine outside the game at these times (usually have twitch or youtube on in the background without any issues).

Are there any logs I can check that might have more details? Anyone have suggestions on what I can try to do to narrow down the issue?

PS - to make sure I'm not missing it, when you try to log back in and get the message "you're already logged in, cleaning up.. please log back in now" you need to exit the client and re-enter the game, right? I couldn't find a way to try to log back in without completely exiting the client since the button disappears.

Thanks,
Arym

Are you connected to your internet by cable or wirelessly?

Arym
05-14-2020, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the replies - it's not a client crash, so I tried checking the log after it happened yesterday and I'm not sure it has anything relevant in there.

I don't think it's a hardware problem, I'm on an older desktop but I turned my graphics down.

I'm connected by cable.

Figger1
05-14-2020, 07:09 PM
that used to happen to me alot but not so much anymore. I think the games connection is very sensitive so if there is the slightest hiccup, u lose connection and I really hate that "you are logged in already". Changing some game settings might be the trick though, in beginning I was on 0: Bad graphic setting and didnt change any of the settings, later I changed to Good and changed tree distance draw and turned off grass and changed some other settings that was recommended on a youtube video and now I dont DC as much as before.

Citan
05-15-2020, 02:20 AM
That is definitely indicative of a connection problem, and it's unlikely that any in-game settings will affect it. You need to be able to sustain a socket connection to the server, which can sometimes be difficult on wifi -- you could try using a wired connection to your router, and see if that helps.

It may not be a problem in your home at all, though; your route -- that is, the different internet machines that you connect to between your home and the server -- may just be unreliable. In that case the best workaround I've found is to use a VPN service. This will give you a different route to our server.

(And yes, the "retry now" message without actually being able to easily retry is a bug, sorry. The code design changed when we added Steam authentication, and it's not trivial to make that work again. But it's on the list.)