PDA

View Full Version : Mining

MorKazim
02-16-2017, 10:58 PM
Suggestion.

Mining.

As it is now, mining is boring. Make mining map, run there, collect. Really boring.
Why don’t you create random nodes all around the world, with various harvest level requirement. When someone harvests the node he gets var number of ore and the node disappears. The nodes don’t need to re spawn on the same location.
This makes the mining more fun as now you need to actively search to find a node and not blindly run to the next node in your map list to get the ore. Also from a node you gen raw ore not ready to be used ingots. You need to proses it.

Thank you.
Discuss.

ShubiMaja
02-17-2017, 04:16 AM
Suggestion.

Mining.

As it is now, mining is boring. Make mining map, run there, collect. Really boring.
Why don’t you create random nodes all around the world, with various harvest level requirement. When someone harvests the node he gets var number of ore and the node disappears. The nodes don’t need to re spawn on the same location.
This makes the mining more fun as now you need to actively search to find a node and not blindly run to the next node in your map list to get the ore. Also from a node you gen raw ore not ready to be used ingots. You need to proses it.

Thank you.
Discuss.

What you describe is the Surveying skill. It is a skill meant to systematically reward players for exploring the map and make exploring more rewarding and less boring.

There is also a child skill called Mining which in fact involves visiting caves and overworld locations (kur forest) and mining nodes that appear there. One of the earliest mining locations is for Pyrite in the myconian (mushroom) cave. Though I admit I would like to see some more mining locations (both small mining outposts overworld and small scattered mining caves across the map)

I'm not sure i agree with the idea of randomly scattering any kind of resource across an entire map. Resource nodes should appear in a defined area in order to enable some level of predictability for crafters.

Tsugumori
02-17-2017, 05:15 AM
Well there's, as Shubi said,

Pyrite - Myconian Caves
Silver - Kur
Saltpeter - Kur
Iridium - Kur
Silver - Eltibule (Abandoned Basement)

There are more but these are just ones I remember from recent visits. These nodes appear without the need for mining surveys. I get where you're coming from though, essentially 'quarry like' areas where mining takes place. Honestly surveying is an easy way to rack up the materials, especially when you get to the motherlode stage, (Where ease of locating is replaced by a greater reward).

If PG were to have quarry areas around the maps that would allow players to explore a mine system, (or something along those lines), I have a feeling that in typical PG fashion - you'd have to defeat rock monsters or (insert foe here) to get the materials instead of mining nodes. I kinda think there would be a twist to make it unconventional.

I don't find surveying boring, that's just me. Its a necessity for a lot of other areas though so it's something you just have to plough on with.

The generating ore instead of ingots does sound like a good idea, a possible way perhaps to get blacksmithing experience which would be handy.

ShieldBreaker
02-17-2017, 06:55 AM
You should visit Gazluk there are all kinds of different mining nodes there, in and out of the caves.

The only difference is that the random amount you get seems to be limited to 1 or 2 ore. I like it, there are 3 ways to get ore now, ground spawn, mob loot, and surveying.

The only thing I'd like to see is copper to get it's own ground spawn nodes.

Eachna
02-27-2017, 02:58 PM
I also find survey maps boring, but I know a lot of players like them. I'd like to see a tier of mining nodes that bridge the gap between pyrite and silver.

Silver, saltpeter, and iridium are very close to each other in level. Pyrite and silver are pretty far apart (something like 15-20 levels of mining).

Either silver could be moved down to a lower level, or another tier of ore could be added between silver and pyrite. If there is already a tier between silver and pyrite, maybe it could be made more visible in the world?