PDA

View Full Version : 'Perhaps' You, Your 'Ideal' Kit & What You 'Sometimes' Do.

Tsugumori
02-05-2017, 12:58 PM
( I believe I saw a similar thread somewhere else but meh /o/ )

Okay so... Essentially, this thread is delving into your identity as a player in the community, the game, fantasy in general. This thread is exploring the 'ideal' situations/scenarios that appeal most to you. I should be clear though, I haven't created this with the intention of it being a 'special snowflake' appreciation thread so that we can all compare and contrast how different we are. Personally, I'd like it to be about seeing how creative each of us is and what appeals most to you.

What I want to know is:

- In an MMO(RPG)/Tabletop/Single player game.. what class(es) or role(s) do you like to play and why. (You can mention as many as you want, don't limit yourself! :p)
- What weapons or skills do you like using with said class(es)? Why?
- What skill trees, animal forms or weapons would you pitch to see in PG that don't already exist?
- Lastly, since we're all a part of the PG community... What appeals to you most about Project Gorgon? (Can literally be anything, no questions asked!)

So being first up...

I usually like to either play a support, (buffs/heals/both), or an off-tank, a tank with buffs and support oriented skills as opposed to damage. That being said I wouldn't mind a DPS with support capabilities but you see where I'm coming from. What tends to interest me is a role or class with the skills/talents etc to back up a party. That's mainly why I like Mentalism in Project Gorgon, lets me buff and help regardless and I can use it in combination with whatever combat skill I want. To sum up, my preferred role is either semi-up front or at the back. Not having the option to help a teammate can annoy me, not saying I'm completely selfless but that's just what appeals to me about team/group play. :p

While it may seem silly, class names and progression are more important to me than I'd like to admit. If it doesn't 'sound' cool AND fit how I like to play well I'd probably just avoid the game entirely. Yeah, that bad, sadly. An example of a good system, good to me at least, would be a dead MMO I tried out recently. The class progression for one of the 'tank' classes goes as: Paladin - Holy Knight - Silver Maiden. This class does have four end classes, including Silver Maiden, but this class sounds cool and is centred around providing stat increases to party members. So good job those guys! :^))

- - -

Weapon wise... I like to use spears/shields+swords. Occasionally, I do play a ranger with the whole bow/short sword combo but that's really only if the former is lacking. I like spears because the range they provide can coincide with the support I mentioned previously, the same going for swords+shields.

Probably sounds like an over-analysis but there's method to my madness!

- - -

For the most part I'm going with the flow in terms of PG progression. Keeping it simple... Dual-wielding is something that I think would be cool, I believe this is on the cards already. Perhaps unoriginal, the only thing I can think of skill wise is a summoner/magical engineer centred around golems/familiars etc. While some may say this is basically Animal Handling/Battle Chemistry or maybe what the BC golem may become, this is just spit balling, so go nuts!

For animal forms I think a fox skin for wolves, or just in general, would be cool. Or bear form. Yeah, let's just go bear form.

Weapon wise, I think spears are on the horizon so I will await them patiently! (Staff isn't really.. yeah.. no..)

- - -

Up front, the most appealing thing to me about PG is the community. Not trying to butter anyone up, but when I first started playing it was what stood out to me most, how different the 'mood' of the game was. Without naming names, I'm thankful to the players who made it that way then and I try, and perhaps fail, to follow their example. :D

Asides from that, its the little things. Like '/sit' while in wolf form = Just.. Amazing.

Anyway, your turn! Looking forward to seeing what you all have to share!

alleryn
02-05-2017, 04:08 PM
- In an MMO(RPG)/Tabletop/Single player game.. what class(es) or role(s) do you like to play and why. (You can mention as many as you want, don't limit yourself! )

In MMO's i tend to play tanks. I like to do AoE farming, don't mind to play the mage or whatever aoe dps class, but i tend toward the run around, pull, taunt style.

In tabletop games i go for wizards. I like the versatility and opportunities for outside-the-box thinking spellcasting provides.

In singelplayer Crpgs i tend to powergame and just pick whatever i think is strongest. Like if dex gives accuracy and dodge i'll probably play a dex class.

This is a pretty broad question, it depends a lot on the particular game, but i'd say i have an overall leaning towards buff-type skills. I like the idea of using magic to heighten physical prowess, either my own or others'.

- What skill trees, animal forms or weapons would you pitch to see in PG that don't already exist?
I'd like to see a jumping form. Preferably frog or kangaroo, but rabbit could be good too.

- Lastly, since we're all a part of the PG community... What appeals to you most about Project Gorgon? (Can literally be anything, no questions asked!)
The thing that really pulled me in was seeing Civic Pride as a skill. I love that kind of thing. More generally, PG sort of nailed the trifecta for me: a good community with a fun chat, a skill-based system that is challenging and rewards hard work, and an economy that doesn't seem too easy to abuse.

Grobyddonot
02-06-2017, 06:30 AM
What I want to know is:

- In an MMO(RPG)/Tabletop/Single player game.. what class(es) or role(s) do you like to play and why. (You can mention as many as you want, don't limit yourself! :p)

Solo/Peace: Dwarves/Gnomes because they're the best crafters and I love crafting. However, there are very few modern games, that provide you with a decent resource gathering and crafting systems. PG crafting is ok, so far. PG resource gathering is meh.
Combat: PvP = mage. PvE = mage or a tank. Warriors, or classes like sword/shield in PG, are usually very easy to play and to grind for resources like skins, so, it's my choice. Mages are harder to play, you have to pay more attention, but are always op and have insane aoe abilties, so they farm even faster. (any game, including PG).

Magic, Sword, Axe, whatever. I don't care much about the model of the weapon in my hand. If a game, however, has a really complex weapon balance system with speed/swing speed/atck speed/crit modifiers/damage/etc I would go for either: 1) anything that oneshots a mob I have to farm atm. 2) the most ranged / fastest weapon. In case of playing a mage, magic. DPS magic mostly, with little cc, but with the ability to move around insanely quick. speed boosts/tp's/etc.

General rule for my gaming, if it's too slow, the entire game, with no speed boosts, I don't play it at all. (With the one exception tho, if it's an afk miner/gatherer or even crafter for small stuff. But I don't really play it, it just does what it has to. A tool, not a real character.)

Skill trees in PG? God forbid. It's all or nothing for me in PG, this is why I chose to play it, because I can have everything I want on 1 character.
Animal Forms? Couldn't give a... care less.
Weapons? Likewise, don't care.

The things I love about PG, are the reasons I began to play it. It's the MMO with no skill cap. You can level everything you want on 1 character (except for maybe some "permanent" stuff like druid/lycanthropy, but who cares about them, lol) and be anything you want/need to. Not the new idea in gaming, but it's still the best one for the MMOs. It kinda defines the MMO for me, you know. You start a new character and can do anything, choose to do anything in any given moment. That's kind of a "close to definition" of the RPG in videogames for me.

So, my ultimate objective in games like this is to raise all the useful skills I can to the possible max. Maybe collect some gear, but that is nowhere as interesting as lvling a practical skill.