PDA

View Full Version : We can do what we want but did the devs intend on certain skills being paired?

Pupil2Prodigy
01-24-2019, 03:31 PM
Am I supposed to be using a particular skill with knife fighting? is it supposed to be paired with unarmed, psychology, or necromancy or something? Like the belts in game are paired?

poulter
01-24-2019, 04:25 PM
I am not aware of a deliberate intent to force skill pairings on players, but some combinations work better (or less well) than others i.e. you can use 2 damage skills at once e.g. sword /fire, or 2 support skills e.g. mentalism /psychology and still be viable.

Limitations of use are usually done by gear e.g. main-hand vs. off-hand weapons requirements , priest attributes, druid, (wooden items), animal /necro combinations where weapons don't enable necro, but necklaces still do.

Often the attack descriptions guide and inform players of intended play styles /synergies, especially important for knife fighting damage, but otherwise players can ignore them most times should they wish to e.g. you can combine Animal Handling /Necro (which is viable, whilst being very frustrating in dungeons).

Deldaron
01-28-2019, 12:09 PM
There's a slightly out of date compatibility chart: http://wiki.projectgorgon.com/wiki/Skill_Compatibility_Chart and if it can be done it is mostly viable. The belts are mostly paired ideas/archetypes of builds, but shouldn't dictate your plan.

The only thin I would think about is diversity of damage type. If you run a build with only 1 or 2 damage types you could run into trouble. I can deal no damage to the spy portals on my main build without using a side bar special ability because they are immune to electricity and crushing (though instances like this are admittedly rare).

Knife fighting as a solo player will see a dps build if paired with a pet class where the pet can act as a tank to pull aggro, but in group so long as someone else has aggro you'll see the same benefit. And while it can increase dps/util it is not necessary to run knife.

Daguin
01-28-2019, 04:37 PM
Devil's advocate: You don't even need to pair skills at all! *echoing*Duelist's Slash....Slash....Slash......slash.....*