PDA

View Full Version : Is there a guide that shows you what level your skill should be for what area yet?

Surprentis
01-31-2017, 01:35 PM
Just wondering if anyones been working on such a guide or if one is out yet.

Thanks!

alleryn
01-31-2017, 02:35 PM
Not that i know of. This is kind of difficult since there is a lot of overlap (you can farm some areas of Serbule Crypt at level 10 probably, while others you might need level 30 or higher). It also depends very much on gear.

Crissa
01-31-2017, 04:06 PM
Yeah, it would be really nice to have at least some graphs of the target levels of areas. It's a good idea.

I have no idea where to start, though.

Spiritfingers
01-31-2017, 04:18 PM
Yeah, a guide would be nice. But it would have to be done by specific mobs and/or areas of a map. I'll never forget farming the fire looking spiders near Hogan's keep as a new player. Then I ran into a Tor-Urak..and you could imagine what happened next. This was even before mobs would call for help.

Tagamogi
01-31-2017, 09:44 PM
The Wiki has a suggested level listed for pretty much every zone, so you could always look up all zones and see what looks likely for your level. Admittedly, level ranges like "1-30" are pretty broad, but it does give you some idea of what to expect.

Nrdr123
01-31-2017, 09:53 PM
Here is my quick guide to zone levels:
Level 1-20 spend it in Serbule, try the Under the Hand Dungeon or Serbule Crypt, if your especially brave you can try Borghild but I would leave that to Level 30'ish.
Levels 20-35 Spend it in Etilbule, I recommend Goblin Dungeon for this.
Levels 35-45 Spend it in Kur OR Sun Vale; For Kur go to Kur Tower or Yeti Cave, can also kill the Deer or Bears, Panthers or Orcs around the area, and for Sun Vale I recommend killing the Trolls or the Winter Fae by the Thorn of Decay.
Levels 45-60 Ilmari/Lab, and maybe if you can handle it Rahu. For this go on the Lab Runs or the Mant/Pask Runs.
Levels 61-70 Gazluk, Kill the Wildlife/Orcs

I hope this was able to help you.

Tagamogi
02-01-2017, 01:39 PM
Or just wander around and see what happens. Poke your nose into things. Go back to places you've visited before and see if you can go further now that you've leveled a bit.

Be aware that combat difficulty can change rapidly depending on group size, your current skills and mob resistances. For example, if you are using sword/psych, the mantises in Serbule can feel invincible since they are immune or highly resistant to a lot of your damage. However, the worgs and panthers in nearby, technically higher-level, Eltibule can be fun instead.

Nrdr123's guide is great, especially if you are planning on grouping a lot and don't want to inadvertently end up in a totally inappropriate group. Just remember that zones in PG aren't linear and you don't have to do them in a given order.

Oh, and I would add South Serbule to the list, maybe level 10-20. The random kill quests there give a nice bit of bonus xp if you want to level faster, especially once you are ready to take on the goblins in the northwest.

Spiritfingers
02-01-2017, 02:18 PM
Or just wander around and see what happens. Poke your nose into things. Go back to places you've visited before and see if you can go further now that you've leveled a bit.

Be aware that combat difficulty can change rapidly depending on group size, your current skills and mob resistances. For example, if you are using sword/psych, the mantises in Serbule can feel invincible since they are immune or highly resistant to a lot of your damage. However, the worgs and panthers in nearby, technically higher-level, Eltibule can be fun instead.

Nrdr123's guide is great, especially if you are planning on grouping a lot and don't want to inadvertently end up in a totally inappropriate group. Just remember that zones in PG aren't linear and you don't have to do them in a given order.

Oh, and I would add South Serbule to the list, maybe level 10-20. The random kill quests there give a nice bit of bonus xp if you want to level faster, especially once you are ready to take on the goblins in the northwest.

To take what you said one step farther. Each mob has natural resistances. If that goes against your current damage build, be prepared for your battles to last longerand for mobs to give off their rage attack more often. This means, you better have good power regen and healing. This is how crazy it can get. I have always had an easier time killing mobs in goblin dungeon than the Tor-Uraks outside for example.

Crissa
02-01-2017, 07:06 PM
To take what you said one step farther. Each mob has natural resistances. If that goes against your current damage build, be prepared for your battles to last longerand for mobs to give off their rage attack more often. This means, you better have good power regen and healing. This is how crazy it can get. I have always had an easier time killing mobs in goblin dungeon than the Tor-Uraks outside for example.
The Tor-Uraks are meant to be frikin' hard. The mobs in the gob dungeon are squisher- but can gang up on you.

...That noted, sometimes you don't know the resistances, like when you're a newbie. And knowing you can go into the dungeon under the lake but the one under the hand will tear you a new one is a good thing to know.

But remember: No death penalty. The best newbie guide is: Go find out how you fair against the mob. Let it kill you. Study it. Everyone will squish things differently by design.

Those damn mantises outside Serb still can do me in if I'm not paying attention. And yet, I can almost one-shot them if I'm wearing my non-crafting gear. Combat can be crazy swingy.

...And I'm not proud, but after a day in the gob dungeon, I went to Serb and... got killed by a rabid deer because I had a RL nature break. x-x

Spiritfingers
02-01-2017, 09:26 PM
Actually I try to die to every type of mob possible..not so much to study it but more to get new death xp. I would love to study mobs like I used to do in GW1.

Tagamogi
02-01-2017, 09:31 PM
But remember: No death penalty. The best newbie guide is: Go find out how you fair against the mob. Let it kill you. Study it. Everyone will squish things differently by design.

Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to get at. Thanks for putting it so well!

And thanks for making me laugh about the rabid deer story. Obviously, rabid deer are overpowered and need to be nerfed. Or at least muzzled. :D

Malice00
02-03-2017, 05:03 PM
I like the idea of exploring and learning through trial and error. Just last week I went into Kur Mountains area (please forgive any spelling errors) killed a polar bear, almost died fighting it, then again almost died trying to get back to portal as I was freezing to death. So I seen a blanket at an NPC shop and bought it, needless to say I will need a lot of these, which must be made since I have not seen anymore.

Spiritfingers
02-03-2017, 05:14 PM
I like the idea of exploring and learning through trial and error. Just last week I went into Kur Mountains area (please forgive any spelling errors) killed a polar bear, almost died fighting it, then again almost died trying to get back to portal as I was freezing to death. So I seen a blanket at an NPC shop and bought it, needless to say I will need a lot of these, which must be made since I have not seen anymore.

There are a lot of ways to survive in Kur. You could have someone build you cold resistance gear, you could use cold resistance potions, there are mods on some combat skills that have direct and indirect cold mitigation, you can use campfires found throughout the map (I don't know all the locations but you must use wood from your inventory) and you can craft campfires or buy campfires if you cannot craft them yet.

Malice00
02-03-2017, 05:28 PM
That's good info...your like a mentor, that's how it should be played. I do make my own cold resist potions, have not found the recipe for campfire yet. Thanks a bunch.