PDA

View Full Version : Inventory storage is the biggest problem this game has

Azure
01-28-2017, 11:50 AM
I truly love playing this game. It has so many things going for it.

The one thing that may well make me quit playing, and which I can guarantee will turn off many new players, is the awful storage system.

Don't get me wrong. It is realistic and what you might expect in a medieval culture. However it makes for horrific gameplay problems. I applaud the devs for their creativity in putting it together. BUT IT DOESN"T WORK.

When I play a game I do NOT want to have to make it my second job. Managing inventory is work, just like when I'm AT work during the week.

I have no problem with storing armor and weapons for each character with Joeh. It makes sense, and there's enough room.

But, but, BUT, having to split up my crafting inventory among three NPCs across four characters, and then trying to track who has what is a MAJOR pain in the ass. I even created a database to track it all, but I still have to shift things back and forth several times a day depending on which toon is working on which skill that needs to be leveled to boost a given other skill.

It may well break immersion, but if you don't implement some sort of central crafting material storage system that all characters can access, I can't see this game having the chance of a snowball in hell of succeeding, and I WANT it to succeed!

I have three characters that regularly need access to mushrooms, cooking ingredients for crafting as well as cooking...well, you know better than I how extraordinarily interconnected skills are in this game.

Right now I'm going to take a break for a few days to let my brain cool down from trying to keep track of who has what and needs what today. I just started playing again a month ago, after a break of nearly a year. I've finally remembered why I stopped playing last time, yes, it was due to the inventory problem.

There are indeed a lot of storage spaces for each character, but there's too much duplication. So many meals, so many potions, so many alternate armor/weapons for different dungeons where different mobs deal out or are resistant to the kinds of damage I usually do.

Give me central storage for food, potions, repair kits and such so I can open it and pull out whatever specific food/potions/whatever I need for where I plan to play that day. Then I can put it back, and have it available to the next toon I want to use instead of having all four of them stock, say, Goblin Wheat Bread, and Mushroom smoothies, Poison resistance/fire resistance potions, or whatever.

alleryn
01-28-2017, 01:04 PM
What i do is just jot down on a piece of paper what's in each of my storage boxes. Admittedly i don't use mules or have alts except to camp the work order boards, so maybe it doesn't seem as bad, but i've gotten to the point where i'm no longer shouting at my monitor in frustration :p

Grobyddonot
01-28-2017, 01:50 PM
I truly love playing this game. It has so many things going for it.

The one thing that may well make me quit playing, and which I can guarantee will turn off many new players, is the awful storage system.

Don't get me wrong. It is realistic and what you might expect in a medieval culture. However it makes for horrific gameplay problems. I applaud the devs for their creativity in putting it together. BUT IT DOESN"T WORK.

I see what you're saying and I Salute you for giving negative feedback on the game, but I'm not that much of a hoarder, plus I don't level up 3 characters, so I don't exactly have the same problem. Mostly because the items will be wiped I see no point in hoarding. I use my other character as "more storage".

But, If this was a full release, without any wipes coming, I would have the same problem. Most of the time after surveying/farming leather/cotton/whatever I find myself in a position where I lack a slot or two in the storages. Can't imagine surveying for 10 stacks of Redwall Crystals or Leather atm tho, because I have literally no place to store them in.

I support the idea of giving us a single huge storage where items will have different "stacking rules". For instance, stuff like leather, gems, prisms, you name it up to 10k in 1 slot or smth. At least temporarily, while we have no housing, etc.

eikona
01-28-2017, 03:28 PM
I was thinking on writing a post about this myself. Inventory management in this game is truly terrible. I can't even find things in my inventory without mousing over every icon. Some sort of database list in game would be nice, I think; a list of storage locations I have and which items are in which location with which character.

I'd also like the option to have separate bags in my inventory - or does this exist and I've not seen it? That way I could have one backpack where I store my food, one for my skins/meat/fish etc.

Grobyddonot
01-28-2017, 03:37 PM
I'd also like the option to have separate bags in my inventory - or does this exist and I've not seen it? That way I could have one backpack where I store my food, one for my skins/meat/fish etc.

Not in the game yet, but afaik something like that is planned for the future. Also, some storage backpacks on some mounts.

Azure
01-28-2017, 03:40 PM
I was thinking on writing a post about this myself. Inventory management in this game is truly terrible. I can't even find things in my inventory without mousing over every icon. Some sort of database list in game would be nice, I think; a list of storage locations I have and which items are in which location with which character.

Hadn't thought of that kind of thing, but I like it. It would help a lot.

drivendawn
01-28-2017, 07:42 PM
I agree with others here and think there should be extra storage slots in the UI for bags and also different size bags you can get. Maybe once the housing comes out they will give you a decent size chest for storage in there.

Tagamogi
01-28-2017, 07:56 PM
My understanding is that the new UI will do "something" to help with the storage. In the meantime, life is tough as a packrat. :) I try to organize my storage thematically - skins and fish with Hulon, one alt (on a separate account for faster trading) with gems/ore, another alt with mushrooms and flower seeds, etc. It's not ideal but at least I'm currently at a stage where inventory doesn't drive me completely crazy (maybe just a little bit...)

Greyfyn
01-29-2017, 07:26 AM
Whenever I hear this complaint, I think about how much of this game rests on problem solving. Making decisions about what to sell and what to keep is part of of game mechanics, but so many players never do that--they keep everything. When you're making alts and spending too much time moving stuff around, you're avoiding the mechanic. In fact, you're creating a different mechanic that you then complain about!

Seven months and two weeks ago, Citan told players: "So if your #1 (http://forum.projectgorgon.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) concern is storage, kindly sell more of your shit please. I know, you want to save literally every item in case you need it some day, but you can't, so stop trying to and sell it. If you must complain about how you can't intuitively store all of the 4000+ types of items in the game without a lot of hassle, then at least do it politely."

If you're making alts to play or for storage, great! But then that's how you're playing the game. Organizing and sorting shit doesn't have to be onerous if you don't keep too much stuff to begin with! You're making these choices! While the system isn't the most convenient, that's ok. Figure it out. In the past, I've watched people make alts and alt guilds for storage without even knowing where all the storage is in the game! Do a /wiki storage at least. There are permanent animals dealing with way less storage than everyone else--and I don't hear those players complaining.

Here are some ideas for storage: 1) Get a player store and stock it with things you don't immediately need. Let the store close and your stuff will just stay there until you open the store again. You don't even need to show your stock to any one. 2) Know what can be easily purchased on a used tab. Like skulls for example. If you're keeping skulls in storage, why? If you can't immediately use the skulls, sell them. You can buy more, or farm more, any time. 3) Put items where it makes sense. For example, I keep all my gardening items with Sie Antry, who is near a garden and water. 4) Keep one storage location empty! Then when you have to quickly dump inventory and don't have time to sort, you can do that! Discipline yourself to come back and clean up the mess before leaving game for the day.

Working out how to NOT hoard could be an interesting exercise. Perhaps it's counter-intuitive, but it could be far less frustrating in the end. Personally, I'd rather have tons of cash than tons of hoarded stuff.

Khariel
01-29-2017, 07:37 AM
Store dungeon run items in the temporary storage crate. Use the bigger ones for when you need to put it all away, and a small cheap one to pull it out. They're connected to the same storage space, so even though the small one has a small number of slots, you can access the others without a problem.

Spiritfingers
01-29-2017, 02:21 PM
I'm thinking you mean remembering where you put stuff is the biggest problem. This game has way more storage than is needed - unless you are tying to max every non combat skill at once. You can even click on quest and those chose the 3rd option - it says notes. I used to keep track of everything I had in all my storages through notes. After awhile the specific mats changed too much. I got tired of updating every item every day so I started generalizing mats - alchemy, phrenology, cheesemaking, etc.

Crissa
01-30-2017, 12:49 AM
Oh, this burns up most of my play time, trying to remember where I left something. It's kinda become not-fun.

And then going to a bank, and then not dropping off or picking up the item you went there for! I feel senile that I have to drop things into the bank, then pull them out, then put them back in x-x

Tagamogi
01-30-2017, 11:20 AM
And then going to a bank, and then not dropping off or picking up the item you went there for! I feel senile that I have to drop things into the bank, then pull them out, then put them back in x-x
Well, if you are going senile, you are not alone. :D My favorite trick is pulling stuff out of the bank, running to the tanning rack and then discovering that I'd left an item I needed for my recipe in the bank. Again.

alleryn
01-30-2017, 11:56 AM
Well, if you are going senile, you are not alone. :D My favorite trick is pulling stuff out of the bank, running to the tanning rack and then discovering that I'd left an item I needed for my recipe in the bank. Again.

Or i get out seeds, fill up all my water bottles, head to the garden, buy some seedlings, plant seed and seedlings, water them, make ferti..... oh damn dirt's in the bank.

Spiritfingers
01-30-2017, 01:58 PM
It's not Eric's fault we have all done that..in fact some of us do it more than we care to admit. But there are ways of organizing storage so we know what is where. It shouldn't become endgame for players.

LaRaj
05-23-2017, 09:13 PM
A couple thoughts on storage... would be nice to be able to save away councils in storage or at a bank. This would be helpful in being able to save money more effectively for many things like storage spaces, and skills. A way for a guild to be able to collectively save money would be great too so that everyone can pitch in a little here or there and feel like they participated.

Another things about storage, equipped items should not count against your pack space. Equipment should have its own equipment slots.
-LaRaj

Crissa
05-23-2017, 10:57 PM
Another things about storage, equipped items should not count against your pack space. Equipment should have its own equipment slots. Why? They're part of your capacity. If you did that, then we'd have n slots that we couldn't repurpose. Right now, if you don't equip something, it's a free slot you can fill with guavas if you want. If it was a special slot only for an equipped item, you couldn't put guavas on your head, could you?

alleryn
05-24-2017, 08:45 AM
Why? They're part of your capacity. If you did that, then we'd have n slots that we couldn't repurpose. Right now, if you don't equip something, it's a free slot you can fill with guavas if you want. If it was a special slot only for an equipped item, you couldn't put guavas on your head, could you?

I suppose the idea would be that equipment wouldn't count against your slots. There'd be additional slots over and above what we have now for equipment.

Crissa
05-24-2017, 09:30 AM
I suppose the idea would be that equipment wouldn't count against your slots.Yeah, but that's sorta just asking for eight new slots. ^-^

I had the idea that outfits could be condensed to one equipment slot. So when you say you have this pair of pants, this pair of shoes, this hemet: It goes into a stack so inventory isn't cluttered. Wouldn't be as flexible equipment now, as you couldn't just wear those new shoes you bought if shoes were in your outfit you'd have to go out of combat and play around with the UI, but... I also wouldn't have the chance of accidentally selling/storing something that was in an outfit, either.

alleryn
05-24-2017, 09:51 AM
Yeah, but that's sorta just asking for eight new slots. ^-^

I had the idea that outfits could be condensed to one equipment slot. So when you say you have this pair of pants, this pair of shoes, this hemet: It goes into a stack so inventory isn't cluttered. Wouldn't be as flexible equipment now, as you couldn't just wear those new shoes you bought if shoes were in your outfit you'd have to go out of combat and play around with the UI, but... I also wouldn't have the chance of accidentally selling/storing something that was in an outfit, either.

Yeah there was a thread that featured the idea of being able to craft suitcases that would work along those lines. Interesting idea.

Silvonis
05-24-2017, 12:38 PM
I suppose the idea would be that equipment wouldn't count against your slots. There'd be additional slots over and above what we have now for equipment.

I believe I've mentioned this elsewhere, but we have given 'extra' slots to account for your equipment.

ShubiMaja
06-13-2017, 09:40 AM
The latest release makes a large step in the direction of easier inventory management via central locations for town storage and the /isearch item command.

https://forum.projectgorgon.com/showthread.php?540-Update-Notes-June-9-2017&p=4632&viewfull=1#post4632

I haven't seen it mentioned yet in this conversation so I'm including this information so that everyone subscribed to this topic will see it.

Eachna
06-14-2017, 10:30 PM
I can't run the game now that I've switched from Ubuntu (liniux) to Fedora (Linux). I'll happily comment on my impression of the storage changes once i sort things out on my end and can get into the game.