PDA

View Full Version : How to get into this game? Can you give me some tips please?

tentimes
06-23-2018, 06:11 AM
I would really appreciate some help from players that have got past the "just learning the game" stage and are now "into it" and playing like they would any MMO.

My problam is I just cannot seem to be able to advance enough or get intot the game enough to hook me, though I keep trying. I am level 15 or so firemagic and have done a few beginner quests but I die far too often. A typical play session is as follows:

I go into the sewers not far from Serbule town in the hope nobody else is there so that I can get strange dirt for making fertilizer to make my cabbages. I maybe have a work order that I struggle with from the area with the boats. I don't know anywhere else to go except wonder aimlessly outside town. I cannot get a guild (biggest problem!) even though I ask respectfully in chat fairly often - are the actually guilds in game yet? A guild would really help me learn quicker.

I am now bored with a few stupid quests that are impossible to complete for one reason or another (a bear in a barn - it kills me outright and I cannot damage it, quests in the next town beginning with E - two of them - but I cannot get there as I get killed soon after the teleport into the land there, usually by wolf but any other roaming mob will kill me.

At the moment the only thing I seem to be able to do is repeat the Dino's in the crypt/sewer but I am bored with that.

I feel like I am overlooking someting simple or just playing stupidly or something - can you tell me what tricks I am missing here please? I appreciate any and all advice. The thing is that I have a deep suspicion that this is actually a really good game with a lot of potential and I don't want to just give up on it.

Thanks all :)

BetaNotus
06-23-2018, 07:31 AM
Hello there! After reading your post, I think I may have one or two suggestions for you.

First, in terms of advancement, you need to ask yourself “what does my gear look like.” In Gorgon, the treasure effects you see on gear are critical to your damage output. You should try and obtain gear of a similar level to your combat skill levels. You mentioned being around level 15 Fire Magic, so you should aim for at least level 10 gear! Now, you probably won’t find much of that in the Serbule Sewers. Generally, humanoid creatures drop equipment. Your best options would be to either find the graveyard in Serbule and enter the Serbule Crypt, or to head south out of Serbule Keep until you find the portal to another zone, Serbule Hills. This zone is generally not as difficult as Eltibule. The crypt also has chests that grant equipment, and can be valuable for getting some low-level gear. Speaking of the crypt, it’s crawling with undead! You’ll find quite a bit of strange dirt there, which can help with your gardening.

Quests in Gorgon are not quite like those in other games. Some NPCs offer easy to fulfill favor requests, but others may take some time. Helena, an NPC in Eltibule, has a quest asking for Bone Hooks. Way back when, I remember it took me a few weeks to get two of them for her. I’d say consider most of them longer term goals, and work on them when you find the items you need for them.

Work Orders are a good way to make money, but you might want to hold off on them for a while. Get a few more levels in your combat skills, find half-decent equipment, and start looking at which ones are feasible to accomplish at your level. I don’t think you are overlooking something (except perhaps the existence of Serbule Hills), and you’re not playing stupidly. If anything, I’d say you’re just taking on too much at once, too soon. You need to find a balance between raising combat skills, crafting skills, favor, quest completion, work order completion, and gathering materials for those. Pick one of them to focus on, and go forth!

The only confusing part of your post to me is that you can’t find a guild! They’re always recruiting in chat, and most have posts on the forums (https://forum.projectgorgon.com/forumdisplay.php?19-Guild-Recruitment). Check out the Guild Index topic to get an idea of what might be out there.

tentimes
06-23-2018, 08:52 AM
About all I can do is grow cabbages and kill clownfish, with the odd trip to the sewers but I die quickly in the Crypt -it is far too difficult in every sense I think.

Crissa
06-24-2018, 03:16 PM
The Crypt goes from level 15 to level 30+ group content. It also is pretty easy to die in by getting chained aggro, being the first place players really encounter that. So dying in there solo is not surprising. It's supposed to kill solos!

Fire is also very difficult to level for a newbie, as it requires alot of valuables to invest in it. It's an advanced combat skill.

preechr
06-25-2018, 05:44 AM
Have you been doing your fire research to advance your skill levels?

If you don't feel comfortable going into the crypt yet, you can always kill the skeletons in the area around the entrance and leading up to the cemetery, but there will be fire mages your magic alone will have a hard time with... what is your secondary skill?

As said above, Serbule Hills is also a great place to find enemies... generally speaking you want to kill the hardest enemies you can to gain the most XP from each kill, but in Serbule Hills you can gain a lot of extra XP by completing hunts (those are started when you kill a landscape mob with a blue crown symbol above it)

Remember to use your First-Aid and Armor Repair skills often during battle, even if not needed, to gain XP in those skills as well

Once you get up to about level 20-25 you'll feel better venturing into Serb Crypts, and you can get the best gear for you by repeatedly opening all those chests you'll find in there

Groups to kill bosses form fairly regularly in the Crypts, and I think once you start doing that you will be able to get into the game properly

Mikhaila
06-25-2018, 08:24 AM
About all I can do is grow cabbages and kill clownfish, with the odd trip to the sewers but I die quickly in the Crypt -it is far too difficult in every sense I think.

It's hard to really make suggestions, since you are struggling with the content that everyone else has done and not had this much trouble with. I re-read your original post. You mention 15 fire magic, what is your second skill? And are your firemagic skills up to date? You have your level 15 abilities?

You really might want to switch to Serbule hills. More room to see mobs and not get hit by several, no respawns popping up on you. Farm things, sell it all, work on favor with vendors. Check the used tab for gear that gives you an upgrade.

Karamasha
06-25-2018, 12:09 PM
I would just avoid dungeons in the beginning and just kill pigs and sickly tigers/wolfs then move to Eltibule, kill Panthers wolfs and do the hunting quests you get by killing panthers/wolfs with crowns above their head.

When you get your main and secondary skill to 30 i could make some gear for you, after that you could move on to Sun Vale

tentimes
06-26-2018, 02:39 AM
People asked about my fireskills being up to date. They actually aren't. The problem is I cannot get enough of that firedust to do research. I have only been able to research a handful of times :(

Kryshael
06-26-2018, 04:16 AM
Tentimes..... Please send me a message in-game. I will help you as I can.

IGN ~~ Brizzt

preechr
06-26-2018, 05:02 AM
Looks like you are well on your way to solving your problem then

Just so you know, to get fire dust you'll have to kill animals that are on fire: Fire Sheep in Serb Hills, Fire Rats and Spiders in Eltibule... also Fire Wizard Skeletons in and around the Crypt can drop them as well as random other mobs might eventually drop them rarely as well

You'll also need to find a source for and/or start raising money to buy other reagents for fire research you'll be needing soon

Good Luck!

Raviollius
06-26-2018, 08:29 AM
People asked about my fireskills being up to date. They actually aren't. The problem is I cannot get enough of that firedust to do research. I have only been able to research a handful of times :(

Fire magic is not a newb-friendly skill to start with, exactly because the ressarch requirements are expensive. I'd raise something else as my main damage skill to at least 25 first.

tentimes
06-26-2018, 08:50 AM
Guys I got an answer today to all my problems. Brizzt ingame today took me to starter island. The thing is, when I first started this character it was way back pre-alpha and htere was no starter island! So I had missed a lot of stuff that you all probably take for granted and am now on my way to learning more skills as well, most importantly psychology and teleport (when I finish this line of quests). It seems fire magic is advanced and I am going to go Psych as my other skill for now.

Thanks all for the help.

Crissa
06-26-2018, 11:59 AM
Yeah, if you wait, you can get fifteen levels or so of Fire without doing anything but being nice to NPCs.

I'd do that until some simple combat skill can take the flaming critters and then you can just farm fire dust to your heart's content. You do need more than two combat skills to switch in and out of, anyhow.