PDA

View Full Version : BC Golem Programming Questions

snowe
05-23-2018, 08:03 AM
aka. "A neophyte BC seeks input from more experienced BC professionals."

I was playing around with golem programming last night, and never quite got fully confident in how the conditionals are working. My end assumption was that they function essentially like most mail client filtering rules (i.e. processing the list from the top down, and executing the associated action of the first conditional matched). That much seems correct as far as I could tell, however, I have a question...

If a condition matches, but the associated ability is on cool down, does the golem continue processing its programming list for the next matching conditional or restart from the beginning of the list? For example, if I had a golem with two conditional/action pairs:

1: Owner is in combat / Poison Bomb Toss
2: Owner is in combat / Doom Admixture

...would the golem in this case ever reach conditional #2 (https://forum.projectgorgon.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2) ? In other words, if the 'Poison Bomb Toss' ability were on cool down (4.5 seconds), would the golem process the second conditional to use 'Doom Admixture', or would the first 'Owner is in combat' conditional be matched and nothing happen because the 'Poison Bomb Toss' is still on cool down?

I suspect you could replace the conditional in #1 (https://forum.projectgorgon.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) with something like 'Randomly 50% of the time during combat' and get something that over time would more evenly distribute between the two rules, but the logic behind the processing is relevant for something like these:

1: Owner is in combat / Poison Bomb Toss
2: Owner's health is below 50% / Healing Injection

vs.

1: Owner's health is below 50% / Healing Injection
2: Owner is in combat / Poison Bomb Toss

If processing *doesn't* continue down the programming list on a cool down, then when the owner is in combat, the 'Healing Injection' in the first programming list will never fire. Likewise, once an owner falls below 50%, the golem would never use 'Poison Bomb Toss' in the second programming list. If, however, processing *does* continue down the programming list, then the two will essentially accomplish the same thing with an obvious prioritization on damage or healing accordingly.

Do any elder BCs happen to know how this works?

ShieldBreaker
05-23-2018, 09:10 AM
I'm pretty sure I have seen my golem do different kinds of attacks with them all set to Owner is in combat. I could be wrong, but I think the program list is just read completely each time the golem does it AI routine. Meaning each item is tested each time and is triggered if it is true and the golem has power/rage/distance/target/etc to be able to. Anyway, that is the way it seems to me.

snowe
05-23-2018, 10:05 AM
I had been hoping that was the case, thank you.

Do you generally just leave it in maximum attack then?

ShieldBreaker
05-23-2018, 10:38 AM
This is my usual program list, it is probably far from optimal

Owner's power is below 80% Invig Mist
Owner's health is below 40% Healing Injection
Owner's is in combat Doom Mix
Owner's is in combat Rage Acid Toss
Owner's health is below 40% Taunt Punch
Golem health is below 20% Self Desrtuct
Owner is on fire Fire Balm

OpieFisher
06-02-2018, 08:07 PM
Sorry if this is kind of late but the way I got it set up might help you.

I keep it real simple is all,just three conditionals.

1Golem rage bare is full (Rage Healing Mist personally)
2Owner has not triggered golem (Healing Injection/Healing Mist depending)
3Owner has triggered golem (Invigorating Mist)

Should cover you for most situations and isn't super fiddly.You can keep the trigger golem ability on a sidebar you don't use even if you wanted to.
If you want to get cute with it from there just shove in stuff like "Owner is in combat" conditionals between 1-2 but if you want to keep it cheap there you go.

Golliathe
04-16-2019, 01:06 AM
You can keep the trigger golem ability on a sidebar you don't use even if you wanted to.

Why don't you mention why nobody uses trigger golem to cast abilities? It is useless because there is a near 3 second delay from when you hit the trigger for the golem using the ability. Isn't that a joke?

It is a real shame there isn't an alternate program to select as you pretty much need to change your golem from solo content spec to group spec for best results.

Tagamogi
04-16-2019, 10:36 AM
It is useless because there is a near 3 second delay from when you hit the trigger for the golem using the ability. Isn't that a joke?

No, it's a bug that is either
- unknown to the developers because nobody bothered reporting it
or
- known to the developers and will be fixed whenever they have time for it in their list of 5,000 bugs

But you already knew that, right?

It is a real shame there isn't an alternate program to select as you pretty much need to change your golem from solo content spec to group spec for best results.
Now that is a great suggestion. I hadn't played battle chemistry in a long time and was really pleased to see the new golem programming menu when I played with it this week, but it would still be great to be able to set up a few different programs that I could pick depending on the situation rather than having to rewrite all the rules individually.

ShieldBreaker
04-16-2019, 11:30 AM
I would probably just set my highest golem to the one I summon for soloing, and my second highest for grouping. Each could have the right type of program set then. Now what would be extra interesting is if there was some difference that made the different level of golems better suited for either role.

Didn't double check, but I seem to remember each golem has its own program. As it is, there is little reason to use any golem other then your highest one. Pretty sure that the whole golem system is incomplete at the moment.

srand
04-16-2019, 02:36 PM

Now that is a great suggestion. I hadn't played battle chemistry in a long time and was really pleased to see the new golem programming menu when I played with it this week, but it would still be great to be able to set up a few different programs that I could pick depending on the situation rather than having to rewrite all the rules individually.

I like that suggestion! And Citan tells me that something like this will probably be added eventually. But golems programs use very old tech and will need to be updated - along with much of BC - before much can be done with them.

Golliathe
04-17-2019, 04:42 PM
I like that suggestion! And Citan tells me that something like this will probably be added eventually. But golems programs use very old tech and will need to be updated - along with much of BC - before much can be done with them.

One of the things massively missing for golem tech is the condition:

when a group member's health is < X%. (example 80%).

Sadly the golem can only be set to cast for its owner. If you personally are not taking lots of damage you have a ton of healing power being wasted.