PDA

View Full Version : Grouping and skill "levels"

eikona
01-26-2017, 02:35 PM
In most games, character levels have an affect on grouping, in that if the level difference is too great there is an XP or item loss.

Is there anything of the sort in P:G in relation to skill levels? Meaning if I play a ton more than my husband, and my skills therefor become vastly higher than his, will that affect our grouping/gameplay in any way? I usually end up having to make separate characters to play with and without him to keep the levels the same, but I've never enjoyed this very much as invariably I end up with more investment on my "solo" character. And then I don't want to play the lower one with him. Will I have that problem here?

My apologies if this has been answered somewhere and I've missed it.

kell.shepherd
01-26-2017, 04:40 PM
At this point, anyone can party with anyone without limitations. What you can do if you want to keep your skill levels close to your husband is use what you want solo then when he's on you can switch to another weapon skillset and level that up with him.

Hope that helps.

eikona
01-26-2017, 08:18 PM
Ah, I see. I don't think I will do that though, as gear mods seem to be somewhat loosely based on your equipped skills. So far, at least. I imagine as we play more and become more familiar with the game I can make a more informed decision as to what I want to do.

Thanks very much for your reply. :)

alleryn
01-26-2017, 09:17 PM
Ah, I see. I don't think I will do that though, as gear mods seem to be somewhat loosely based on your equipped skills.

This is definitely true, but you may also want to level up some combat skills other than your two main ones, at least a little, for the synergy levels:
http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/Synergy_Levels

In some cases, it also helps to have a second skillset to deal with mobs that are immune to one of your most-often-used damage types, or for utility like sprint boosts.

Just a little additional food for thought. Have fun out there!

eikona
01-26-2017, 10:15 PM
Oh, very interesting. Thank you.

Hood
01-26-2017, 10:40 PM
I recommend just leveling crafting skills :) They really do make the game much more easy and fun (imo). Plus you can use them to help your husband as well! Or just to make yourself far stronger than he is :rolleyes:

eikona
01-26-2017, 10:50 PM
I recommend just leveling crafting skills :) They really do make the game much more easy and fun (imo). Plus you can use them to help your husband as well! Or just to make yourself far stronger than he is :rolleyes:

This had actually been my intention, and is what I usually focus on. But to craft, I need materials... and at early levels at least, this usually means going out and killing them, or killing the monsters that try to eat me while I harvest. I asked the initial question actually with this in mind, will it matter if I level up my combat skills while out hunting materials for crafting? :)

Hood
01-26-2017, 10:57 PM
Hmm...Well around level 30 or 40, the experience required to level up jumps. If you're farming and levelling a crafting skill at low levels, the XP you get shouldn't advance your character's combat levels quickly. And if you see yourself getting too far above your husband, you could begin levelling 2 new combat skills or just level up Industry.

There *IS* a potion for this. But I don't recommend farming the mats to make it just to stay at an even level with your husband. Memory Inhibitor negates any XP you'd normally receive by 100%. The reason I don't recommend it is that it lasts only 1 hour.

eikona
01-26-2017, 11:07 PM
Very interesting again ... what is the standard use for such a potion? Are there lots of people like me, or is it just intended as an option because options are good?

Hood
01-26-2017, 11:32 PM
I think its just included because options are good. You can make challenges with them as well. For example: lvl 15/15 any two combat skills, which build can kill Gajus? Then ppl chug that potion to stay at 15 while they attempt.

eikona
01-27-2017, 12:06 AM
That's pretty awesome. :D

I'm really looking forward to exploring this new world. :D

alleryn
01-27-2017, 11:39 AM
The thought that occurs to me is that many games have level-capped pvp-arenas to create more ways to compete. Obviously, PG is not a pvp-centric game, so i'm not sure if that applies here.

But maybe PvE arena challenges similar to the guy in the player-stall area in Serb could be introduced with level caps, in order to make the use of this potion more appealing.

eikona
01-28-2017, 09:44 AM
Well, I had to make an alt after all, for the simple reason of being a new player. I can't work on crafting/industry without money to buy the recipes and ingredients to actually craft. lol

Adventuring with my husband does not provide enough resources to craft in the time I play without him, sadly. So I guess I will make a druid alt.

Grobyddonot
01-28-2017, 10:15 AM
Do not worry about getting too far away rather quickly. It usually takes a good couple of months to get the important skills to the cap. Upon reaching lvl 50 you'll hit the first small wall that will require you to farm some favor and councils to raise your cap to 60, then to 70. You may choose to stop @ 50 for a while, farming materials and councils, if you want/choose to.

Raising crafting skills is incredibly rewarding later, but is very time consuming if you don't have the materials or the councils to simply buy the materials.

Unless ofc, you're playing 16 hours a day. In this case it'll probably take a couple of weeks to lvlup on a fresh character without any powerleveling help.

eikona
01-28-2017, 01:07 PM
Weeeeellll... I'm a housewife. So while I may not be playing 16 hours a day, I am playing quite a lot more than he is. :)

Sasho
01-31-2017, 12:28 PM
Having higher skills doesn't currently affect your game play. You won't have to re-roll. In fact, you could use it to power level his char in places like Kur Tower. He will catch up rather quickly, and in the meantime you can share the loot to use or sell.

There's a couple things you could do to stay level with him though.

1) Raise a different skill up. For example when you learn something new like Battle Chemistry you'll see that you have a restriction on your other equipped skill. So if Archery is at level 50, you'll see that you can't use any ability over level 25 in archery, Basically as Battle Chemistry rises then you can also use a higher Archery level, but in the mean time you are playing at his level while doing what you just have to normally do to raise a new skill. *Do this a few times. Right now I'm working on raising Battle Chemistry and Shield. I don't ever use any in any high combat, but together they offer some good speed bonus skills that I can stack while I'm just running place to place.

2) If you do re-roll, make it interesting. Roll a char that you make a Druid, Cow, or Deer, etc. Something where you don't feel like you're doing redundant work. Most people (including myself) aren't going to switch to animal forms, and to my knowledge going Druid is a PERMANET switch so that's one you'll want a new character for probably. Storage space is very limited, so extra characters could serve as both a way to explore more character forms in addition to just being a support for your main.