PDA

View Full Version : New Player looking into Fire/Ice Magic

Khobahi
04-23-2018, 10:22 AM
Hey,

Just started the game and played for a couple hours now. After Getting off the starter island and got into the first town was looking into things and immediately went into getting Fire Magic. Problem being at the moment it feels very weak (level 11 or 12 fire magic atm) and from now having looked up a few things seems like it might not be the best direction to go for a new player.

However I will strive to use Magic and even looking it up now may actually gravitate towards using Ice magic mainly (eventually), One of the things I am trying to figure out is if I can get some tips/tricks for leveling magic up or maybe for something to level up first in order to facilitate the use of magic.

Not sure what really pairs well with magic for a sub skill (still trying to figure out a lot of the sub skill stuff) and even just looking at the wiki im not 100% which direction to go. Is just doing an Ice/Fire build functional or would i be better off doing something else?

Thanks,

alleryn
04-23-2018, 10:49 AM
It's a pretty expensive first skill to take, but it's doable.

Try to keep an eye out for gear with mods that boost the damage on the abilities you use (this is common sense, but it's really the difference between feeling weak and strong, regardless of what skill you use, in my experience).

I haven't done much fire magic myself, but I know staff is a popular pairing with fire, for some defense while you gather mobs to aoe. I'd imagine shield work well also (and shield has some power restore on it which is nice for power-hungry fire magic users). I use BC/Shield which should be basically the same principle.

Psych/Ment would be other good choices as they also grant some power restoration.

Really anything you pick should work okay, a second aoe damage skill like archery for that heavy multishot burst could even be good, though then there's fletching to deal with on top of trying to keep up with magic ingredients, so that might be too much.

Good luck burning things down, enjoy!

Flexarc
04-23-2018, 12:51 PM
As alleryn pointed out Fire Magic is expensive but doable. Gear with mods for the skills you use are very important.

The materials needed to level FM past 50 can also be hard to find at this time, even from player vendors. However, this may improve as the player base gets more leveled and starts farming the areas where those mats drop.

Ice Magic requires your Fire Magic to be level 25 and there is a quest you must complete that includes killing a dungeon boss.

Other helps for Fire Magic/Ice Magic, grow flowers and appreciate them. The flowers give a temporary (1 hour) increase to your power reserve. Better flowers, more benefit. Craft your own foods that boost Health, Power and Armor regeneration as well as Hit Points and Armor. Since you can eat a meal and a snack at the same time this is crucial not only for mages but any skills chosen.

EDIT: I use Psych with Fire Magic and it works quite well. The "Tell Me About Your Mother" skill is a mesmerize and can give time for your skills to complete cool-down when solo and follow this with the "You Were Adopted" skill to hit an enemy quite hard. One nice thing with using Psychology or Mentalism is there is no weapon required for their use. Freeing you up to use weapons suited to magic in main and off-hand.

Ice Magic also has a freeze that basically does the same thing as "Tell Me About Your Mother".

Khobahi
04-23-2018, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the insight guys, Currently rocking with Fire/Psych so i'll stick with that until I can get ICE then i'll figure out stuff from there.. Still gotta learn about the game and where to go to do things. Def gotta gear some gear for Fire stuff as i don't really have any for it yet..

alleryn
04-23-2018, 02:05 PM
Just keep fighting stuff and you'll start to find drops. I think i got my first decent gear fighting outside of the crypt. That might be a good spot for you once you can handle it b/c i think the skeleton wizards tend to drop fire orbs.

Khobahi
04-25-2018, 07:52 AM
Only played a couple hours the past few nights but Just fighting the stuff in the Serbule Crypt place and it seems like it all drops gear thats level 20-25 in my skill, I think my fire is at... 14? and my Psych is at 10.. Is there a better place to get some levels in the spells and maybe some gear that will benefit me for these early levels. Almost feels like i'm forcing myself to kill things out of my range at the moment. (on the bright side I managed to get a bunch of fire dust from Marna in the buy used section so i have all my spells from 1-10)

Niph
04-25-2018, 08:56 AM
If you've joined a group, you might have been hunting in the 'higher' level area of Crypt. I think it's still the right place for you to look for gear, and if you can kill stuff dropping gear to high for you now, well, eventually you can use it!

Leodane
04-25-2018, 09:31 AM
Very spoilery.

This is a bit power-gamey, but with fire magic, you have great ability to take on groups with AoE damage. If you find you need to level a bit to start using some of that sweet crypt gear, you might be best served by buying some used white-quality knight's heavy armor from Joeh, heading to the Serbule Sewers, and bursting down large quantities of low-level monsters. Killing 4 baby slimes for 15 xp each is more effective than killing one skeleton swordsman for 40 xp if it takes the same amount of time. It's also a bit less risky, and there is a chest, mushrooms, and abandoned packs down in them thar sewers. Those mushrooms can also get you that oh-so-sweet Myconic xp for possible mushroom cave hijinx later on.

I took a fire/ment build up to 60 and I found that I was pretty well-served by fighting large numbers of weaker bad guys, especially if those bad guys are skinnable or drop equipment I can sell to a high-gold vendor. My gear lagged a bit, as I wasn't fighting monsters on par with my level, but I had plenty of cash to fund my fire magic studies from the PILES of goblin equipment and skins I was vendoring.

Food for thought.

Tagamogi
04-25-2018, 10:18 AM
If you've joined a group, you might have been hunting in the 'higher' level area of Crypt. I think it's still the right place for you to look for gear, and if you can kill stuff dropping gear to high for you now, well, eventually you can use it!

Yes, I agree with that. if you enter the crypt in the spider area, the two chests near the entrance there should give you level 10-15 loot.

You can also just randomly wander around outside of dungeons and explore and level there - since the spawn density outside is lower, you don't really need top-notch gear for that. It's not the fastest possible way to level but you can still come across some fun stuff.

Khobahi
04-25-2018, 12:19 PM
Interesting.. wasn't in a group and those chests kept giving me level 20 stuff.. guess im getting "lucky"?

alleryn
04-25-2018, 01:04 PM
What about just oustide of the crypt (like in and around the graveyard)? Do those mobs drop level 10 stuff? Otherwise (or instead) try the sewer like Leodane suggests.

Khobahi
04-25-2018, 01:06 PM
Yea i'm going to try the sewers as wasn't having much luck outside when i tried. Will try later tonight after work! Game is quite fun and looking forward to getting more used to it and trying out more stuff.