PDA

View Full Version : Project: Gorgon on Linux

Hood
01-22-2017, 04:00 PM
Shardragon's Project:Gorgon Linux launcher

You can download the latest version here (https://ipfs.io/ipns/QmZ86ow1byeyhNRJEatWxGPJKcnQKG7s51MtbHdxxUddTH/Software/Python/pglauncher/pglauncher)!
To run it simply right-click on the downloaded file, then
→ Choose Properties from the menu
→ Open the Permission tab in the dialog
→ Check the Run file as program or File is executable (name may slightly vary) checkbox
→ Close the dialog.

For a changelog and details please see the update post (https://forum.projectgorgon.com/showthread.php?125-Project-Gorgon-on-Linux&p=1728&viewfull=1#post1728)!

If you have any questions about running Project Gorgon on Linux, please post here so others may assist you. Referring to the previous posts can answer many questions as well.

Eachna
01-22-2017, 05:18 PM
Thanks for this post to move everything over. I'm hoping the devs will continue to post linux snapshots even after we move to Steam.

Tagamogi
01-22-2017, 06:26 PM
This is somewhat obvious, but if you are running the launcher from the command line, you can type in a mini infinite loop to make it restart automatically after it exits. For example:

$ while date; do project-gorgon ; done

Useless in normal circumstances but pretty nice right now when it keeps shutting down on me after downloading a single file or less from the new patch. Now i can just go away for a few hours and hopefully when I get back, the patch will be done. One can hope. :)

Edit: it may be nicer to do something like "while sleep 60" instead to wait a bit before sending another request to our poor overloaded server. I just want the patch *now*...

Eachna
01-22-2017, 07:41 PM
The GUI retries for me.

Tagamogi
01-22-2017, 08:30 PM
Oh, that works too. :) But I got the excitement of writing my own loop!

BBQSloth
01-23-2017, 05:37 PM
Oh this is wonderful. Works perfectly. Now I can play while I'm working in my dev environment.

NeverTooOld
02-07-2017, 12:43 AM
The following happens on Manjaro 16.10.3 with xfce and Mint 18.1 with mate. The manjaro machine was running the previous version of the game without error.

[REDACTED Gorgon]$ ./project-gorgon
User interface "tk" not available
Getting welcome message
Getting launcher version
• Launcher version: 5
Getting game version
• Game version: 274
Retrieving game manifest for client version 274
File unchanged: ProjectGorgon (contents not verified)
Downloading file: ProjectGorgon_Data/globalgamemanagers (1/1)
0 % ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░ ProjectGorgon_Data/globalgamemanagers
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/REDACTED/Games/Gorgon/pglauncher/ui/cli/main.py", line 62, in run
self.patcher.patch()
File "/home/REDACTED/Games/Gorgon/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 393, in patch
self.patch_file(entry_target, entry, force_file_checksums)
File "/home/REDACTED/Games/Gorgon/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 430, in patch_file
self.download_game_file(file_path, asset_name, entry["Chunks"])
File "/home/REDACTED/Games/Gorgon/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 521, in download_game_file
compressed_total, compressed_offset
File "/home/REDACTED/Games/Gorgon/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 576, in download_game_file_chunk
compressed_total, compressed_offset, asset_name)
File "/home/REDACTED/Games/Gorgon/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 258, in _fetch_with_progress
callback_data(chunk)
File "/home/REDACTED/Games/Gorgon/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 557, in callback_data
decompressed = decompressor.decompress(data)
zlib.error: Error -3 while decompressing data: incorrect header check

Press enter to exit…

Hood
02-07-2017, 03:52 AM
I'm getting a similar error as well. stuck on Downloading file: ProjectGorgon_Data/globalgamemanagers (1/1)

LinuxDonald
02-07-2017, 07:33 AM
I have the same error :(

Tagamogi
02-07-2017, 11:20 AM
I got the same error message as NeverTooOld as well.

Tagamogi
02-07-2017, 10:00 PM
Is it possible that the compression format got changed by the new patch server?

I may be looking at the totally wrong thing, but I poked around a bit, and I think the problem might be coming from line 400 in patcher.py:
decompressor = zlib.decompressobj(zlib.MAX_WBITS|32)

That's even commented as:
#NOTE (http://forum.projectgorgon.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=NOTE) : Without the `winsize` parameter set to `zlib.MAX_WBITS` decompression will fail with an error:
# zlib.error: Error -3 while decompressing data: incorrect header check
#NOTE (http://forum.projectgorgon.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=NOTE) : Without bitwise adding 32 to the `winsize` parameter decompression will fail with an error:
# zlib.error: Error -3 while decompressing data: invalid distance too far back
# More information about options: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1838699

I played around with different parameters to decompressobj a bit but didn't come up with anything useful. Since the current options are supposed to auto-detect the header, maybe the format got changed to something other than zlib or gzip? Although it seems that would have required a change to the Windows client too...

Hood
02-08-2017, 01:52 AM
There's an open issue now here (https://gitlab.com/alexander255/project-gorgon-launcher/issues) regarding this problem. I'm sure Shardragon will be able to get to it fairly soon.

In the meantime, running through Wine is possible, as long as directx11 is disabled in the wine config.

Arindor
02-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Thanks for contacting me through the bug tracker! Now I'm subscribed to this thread as well! :)

As I mentioned in http://forum.projectgorgon.com/showthread.php?26-Project-Gorgon-Linux-Launcher-(Unofficial)&p=1666#post1666 this is probably a server issue unfortunately and there's not a lot I can do about it. Please watch that channel or the GitLab issue if you're interested in the current progress on resolving this. I'll report back once the status on this changes.

I posted a patch here: http://forum.projectgorgon.com/showthread.php?26-Project-Gorgon-Linux-Launcher-%28Unofficial%29&p=1718&viewfull=1#post1718

Simple change. Please make appropriate changes to the distro. And thanks for creating the Linux port!!!

Tagamogi
02-09-2017, 06:51 PM
Thanks for still maintaining this, shardragon!!! I downloaded the new launcher and was able to patch and play. :D

Eachna
02-12-2017, 10:22 AM
Thanks so much, I'm back on Linux thanks to this update.

Tchey
02-12-2017, 10:44 AM
You can download the latest version here (https://ipfs.io/ipns/QmZ86ow1byeyhNRJEatWxGPJKcnQKG7s51MtbHdxxUddTH/Software/Python/pglauncher/pglauncher)

Thanks, that's working, or at least i'm downloading, didn't try to play yet.

cryptopsy
02-18-2017, 07:38 AM
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 19-208: ordinal not in range(128)

HiFiWiFi
02-23-2017, 06:08 PM
Hi guys, just wondering where the files are downloaded and installed to, having trouble finding them, and the launcher redownloads all the files every time I uses it.

alleryn
02-23-2017, 06:37 PM
Hi guys, just wondering where the files are downloaded and installed to, having trouble finding them, and the launcher redownloads all the files every time I uses it.
I guess this would depend on your operating system and settings. My system prompted me for a download location for the launcher, and again when i ran the launcher it asked me for an installation directory for the files.

Perhaps try doing a file search. For example on my Windows system, the launcher is called ProjectGorgonLauncherWin.exe and the client executable (don't actually execute this manually though, always run the launcher) is called WindowsPlayer.exe

Hope that helped a little.

Edit: I guess i should have looked at the thread title before posting...

NeverTooOld
02-23-2017, 09:46 PM

On my Manjaro install the files are in ~/.local/games/project-gorgon

Cannot answer why the launcher is redownloading.

ShubiMaja
02-24-2017, 05:04 AM

If you are using ubuntu you can try this

1. open a terminal with Ctrl + alt + T
2. type the command to update ur file index: sudo updatedb
3. type the command to search ur file index: locate project | grep gorgon

This should give u a list of locations where ur system detected project gorgon files

SausageJavelins
03-25-2017, 07:58 AM
My current CLI output using Debian Testing 4.9.0 after running the latest Gorgon Linux Launcher listed on this thread::

Getting welcome message
Getting latest pglauncher version
• pglauncher version:
- Current: 1.1.3
- Latest: 1.1.3
Getting latest vanilla launcher version
• Launcher version: 6
Offical launcher version is version 6; however this launcher is only compatible with version 5

File "/home/chris/Downloads/pglauncher/pglauncher/ui/cli/main.py", line 62, in run
self.patcher.patch()
File "/home/chris/Downloads/pglauncher/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 480, in patch
raise PatcherOutdated(version_latest)
pglauncher.patcher.PatcherOutdated: Offical launcher version is version 6; however this launcher is only compatible with version 5

Press enter to exit…

I suppose this is being worked on, but I did not see any other posts and did not want to assume. Thanks!

-SJ

Tagamogi
03-25-2017, 08:45 AM
As a possible quick workaround, I edited the patcher.py file in my pglauncher directory and changed line 78 to:
PATCHER_LAUNCHER_VERSION = 6

(from 5). This at least has my client downloading the patch, although I don't know yet whether it is going to actually run or not. I think it may also be downloading everything from scratch, ugh...

I'm going to grab breakfast and update this post in a bit, depending on how it goes.

Citan
03-25-2017, 09:08 AM
Version 5 and 6 are both compatible, for downloading purposes, so you can just change that number in the config. But there seems like a different minor issue -- I think the launcher software you're using is reading from the wrong version file. It should be reading the file at client.projectgorgon.com/launcherversion_linux.txt , which is still set at 5. I think it's reading launcherversion_win.txt instead.

Tagamogi
03-25-2017, 10:03 AM
Thanks, Citan! I can confirm that my client worked just fine after I changed the launcher version to 6, and I was able to log into the game and play.

I've updated the github page to make sure shardragon will see it (although I think he's subscribed to this thread now anyway).

Edit: Until we get an official launcher patch, a better interim fix than the one I originally posted would be to change the way the patcher.py file reads the version from the server in line 443. You can search patcher.py for:

class LinuxPatcher(Patcher):

URL_LAUNCHER_VERSION = "http://client.projectgorgon.com/launcherversion_win.txt"

and change that to

class LinuxPatcher(Patcher):

URL_LAUNCHER_VERSION = "http://client.projectgorgon.com/launcherversion_linux.txt"

And the game should work.

Edit2: Well, that's embarrassing. I've been using the older command line launcher instead of the new self-patching pglauncher. Finding and editing the patcher.py works fine for my version obviously, but the fancy self-patching pglauncher seems to be all one big binary file? I'd been vaguely assuming it was updating my old patcher directory, but that appears to be incorrect. So, for everyone using the new pglauncher, you may just have to wait on the real patch. Sorry!

Arindor
03-25-2017, 12:59 PM
Edit2: Well, that's embarrassing. I've been using the older command line launcher instead of the new self-patching pglauncher. Finding and editing the patcher.py works fine for my version obviously, but the fancy self-patching pglauncher seems to be all one big binary file? I'd been vaguely assuming it was updating my old patcher directory, but that appears to be incorrect. So, for everyone using the new pglauncher, you may just have to wait on the real patch. Sorry!

I'm also using the command-line launcher and your suggestion worked great for me. Thanks!

SausageJavelins
03-25-2017, 05:39 PM
I applied Citan's and Tagamogi's fixes to no avail. It yields the same error message after updating both 'puters to latest Debian Stretch 4.9.0-2-amd64 and despite changing URL_LAUNCHER_VERSION to "..._linux.txt" and PATCHER_LAUNCHER_VERSION to "6" in patcher.py

SausageJavelins
03-25-2017, 06:00 PM
-=| UPDATE |=-

So I was looking at the patcher.py file, and noticed a URL
URL_PATCHER_DOWNLOAD = "https://ipfs.io/ipns/QmZ86ow1byeyhNRJEatWxGPJKcnQKG7s51MtbHdxxUddTH/Software/Python/pglauncher/pglauncher"

I grabbed the file, executed it, and it began downloading file chunks for the game. After a short while it stopped with this error:

Downloading file: ProjectGorgon_Data/level17 (6/21)

File "/home/chris/Downloads/pglauncher/pglauncher/ui/cli/main.py", line 62, in run
self.patcher.patch()
File "/home/chris/Downloads/pglauncher/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 495, in patch
self.patch_file(entry_target, entry, force_file_checksums)
File "/home/chris/Downloads/pglauncher/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 532, in patch_file
self.download_game_file(file_path, asset_name, entry["Chunks"])
File "/home/chris/Downloads/pglauncher/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 631, in download_game_file
compressed_total, compressed_offset
File "/home/chris/Downloads/pglauncher/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 681, in download_game_file_chunk
compressed_total, compressed_offset, asset_name)
File "/home/chris/Downloads/pglauncher/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 316, in _fetch_with_progress
callback_data(chunk)
File "/home/chris/Downloads/pglauncher/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 667, in callback_data
decompressed = decompressor.decompress(data)
zlib.error: Error -3 while decompressing data: incorrect data check

Press enter to exit…

It seems to go away after re-executing the file. Same results with the laptop. Currently downloading game file chunks on both as I type this.

EDIT

Oops! Tried making this an edit, apparently I made a quick reply instead. Not trying to farm posts, it's just been a long day!

UPDATE

In-game and checking out the changes. Thanks for the pointers, folks!

Shad
03-25-2017, 07:06 PM
Launcher still not working. It downloaded the whole game all over again and the CLI ended with a {press enter to exit} and back to desktop.

Tagamogi
03-25-2017, 10:10 PM
I applied Citan's and Tagamogi's fixes to no avail. It yields the same error message after updating both 'puters to latest Debian Stretch 4.9.0-2-amd64 and despite changing URL_LAUNCHER_VERSION to "..._linux.txt" and PATCHER_LAUNCHER_VERSION to "6" in patcher.py
You don't want to do both at once - if you change the URL_LAUNCHER_VERSION to "..._linux.txt", you want to leave the PATCHER_LAUNCHER_VERSION at 5.

There's a check in the launcher that compares the URL_LAUNCHER_VERSION to PATCHER_LAUNCHER_VERSION and exits if they aren't equal to each other. If the URL_LAUNCHER_VERSION is set to"..._linux.txt", its version will be 5, and if it's set to to "...win.txt" it will be 6. So, you want to make sure that your PATCHER_LAUNCHER_VERSION number matches the number returned by URL_LAUNCHER_VERSION file.

Edit: I just realized there was another page in this thread and you already made it into the game hours ago. Congrats! I guess I'll leave my post up anyway in case someone else is tempted to do too much of a good thing.

Tchey
03-26-2017, 03:39 AM
Hello,

I used to use the very first attempt to Linux launcher, then the next one "new" one, but now with the last bardish update, i can't manage to play again (i didn't try to play for 2-3 months i think).

So i did at first

PATCHER_LAUNCHER_VERSION = 5
to PATCHER_LAUNCHER_VERSION = 6

without success.

Then i did the other line with URL linux, without success.

Then i did both together, with even less success.

I don't understand this part :

So I was looking at the patcher.py file, and noticed a URL
URL_PATCHER_DOWNLOAD = "https://ipfs.io/ipns/QmZ86ow1byeyhNRJEatWxGPJKcnQKG7s51MtbHdxxUddTH/Software/Python/pglauncher/pglauncher"
I grabbed the file, executed it, and it began downloading file chunks for the game. After a short while it stopped with this error:

What should i do ?

Thanks for support.

Tchey
03-26-2017, 08:26 AM
Thanks,

Now i'm downloading the update. I didn't see at first your message with the link to the new pglauncher file, as it's in the middle of page*2.

Tagamogi
03-26-2017, 09:08 AM
Tagamogi: Actually it's just a runnable ZIP-file, no black magic involved ;)
So if want to use the self-updating launcher like the previous versions you can rename and extract that file and run the `project-gorgon` file within OR (simpler) just download the GIT snapshots from the GitLab page (https://gitlab.com/alexander255/project-gorgon-launcher) (https://gitlab.com/alexander255/project-gorgon-launcher/repository/archive.tar.bz2). The auto-updater will not work in any of these cases through.

Thanks for the explanations! This is good information to have. I still think runnable ZIP files could be magic but a little bit of magic involved in launching the game may be a good thing. :D

Also, I really appreciate you continuing to maintain the launcher, and your fast responses to issues like this. Thank you!!

Intro
06-10-2017, 11:59 AM
I somehow cant get the "pglauncher"-file executeable. The option unticks itself everytime.

Intro
06-10-2017, 01:03 PM
Indeed, the file had been accidentally removed. It should work again now, sorry for the inconvinience!

It was? I had no trouble downloading it.

What option are you referring to?

I cant set the downloaded file to run as a program, as described in the installation guide.

Even "chmod a+x" won't fix it.

Intro
06-10-2017, 01:49 PM
It's definitely there now, so whatever… :D

Agreed.
(The website is quite slow though)

Is the file by any chance on an FAT32, EXFAT or NTFS volume (or anything else Windows-eyy)? Those don't support file permissions and the result of that sounds ratter similar to what you describe.

No...wait...yes...
I'm such a noob... :rolleyes:

Now it's working.
But in which directory are the files downloaded into?

Thank you very much!

Intro
06-12-2017, 08:27 AM
Glad to hear :)

The download directory is ~/.local/games/project-gorgon and can currently only be changed using the command-line or by setting an environment variable.
Do you think it would make sense to add an option for this in the UI?

Either that or let it download everything to the python-scripts current location.
Well. thats what i expected it to do. I re-formatted a partition on my HDD only to see it getting downloaded onto my main-partition, on my SSD. :rolleyes:

Intro
06-15-2017, 12:24 PM
As a workaround you can create/edit the ~/.pam_environment file in your home directory and add a line like this:

Then log out and back in – could be easier I suppose. :cool:

Next time, when I reinstall the game. I wont tamper around now.

Never touch a running system :D

Somniare
07-13-2017, 01:54 PM
I'm having problems with opening the file pglauncher. The error message is as follows:

"The file you opened has some invalid characters. If you continue editing this file you could corrupt this document.
You can also choose another character encoding and try again."
The current encoding is set to 'Current Locale (UTF-8)'

Would anyone be able to help with this problem?
Thanks in advance!

Somniare
07-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Hi Somniare!

It sounds like you tried to open the launcher file in a text editor (like Pluma, Gedit, KWrite, Mousepad, …). As the pglauncher file is an executable Python application, that will not work. :)

To launch the file please right-click it in your file manager and select Properties. Then, in the Permissions tab, make sure that the Mark file as executable box is checked. Doube-clicking on the launcher file should then ask you whether to View or Run the file: Choose Run and it should work.
This is also described in more detail here: https://forum.projectgorgon.com/showthread.php?125-Project-Gorgon-on-Linux&p=1728&viewfull=1#post1728.

If you still cannot get it to work, please respond with more specific information on the exact operating system & version you are using and we'll take it from there.

Cheers!

Thanks for your help ShardDragon; although I had already gone through the permissions as detailed in your instruction post, the system was still not coming up with the view/run dialogue box. As someone quite unfamiliar with linux I didn't realise this - but your post telling me that it was trying to read the file rather than run it was very helpful - I have now managed to run it through the terminal.

Thank you!

NeverTooOld
07-14-2017, 04:30 PM
..... and the winner is not me

Linux Mint 18.2
Python 3.5 with TK interface

Launcher patched to version 285.

Click Launch Game

Switches to full screen. All black no Project Gorgon logo. Sits for a couple of minutes and closes.

From terminal:

username@computer ~ $ cd Games
username@computer ~/Games $ cd Gorgon
username@computer ~/Games/Gorgon $ ./project-gorgon
Found path: /home/username/.local/share/../games/project-gorgon/LinuxPlayer/ProjectGorgon
Mono path[0] = '/home/username/.local/share/../games/project-gorgon/LinuxPlayer/ProjectGorgon_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/username/.local/share/../games/project-gorgon/LinuxPlayer/ProjectGorgon_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/username/.local/share/../games/project-gorgon/LinuxPlayer/ProjectGorgon_Data/Mono/etc'
Preloaded 'ScreenSelector.so'
Preloaded 'libCSteamworks.so'
Preloaded 'libsteam_api.so'
Player data archive not found at `/home/username/.local/share/../games/project-gorgon/LinuxPlayer/ProjectGorgon_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystem

Run up launcher again. Click Validate Game Data. All appears to check out. No new files downloaded. Problem still exists.

Problem number 1: The default install stores the Project Gorgon files in /home/username/.local/games/project-gorgon/LinuxPlayer/ProjectGorgon_Data

Aha, you say: copy /home/username/.local/games and sub-folders to /home/username/.local/share/games. BZZZZZZT wrong!

So problem number 2a: /home/username/.local/gamesproject-gorgon/LinuxPlayer/ProjectGorgon_Data/data.unity3d does not exist

Problem 2b data.unity3d does not exist in any folder under /home/username/

Problem 2c data.unity3d does not exist anywhere in the file system

Tagamogi
07-17-2017, 10:44 AM
For what it's worth, I've been seeing the same "Player data archive not found" message as NeverTooOld. However, my game looks like it is starting but that my monitor is maybe a quarter of the size of what it's expecting. I can see a black screen with the Project Gorgon logo in the corner, but it looks like the actual login prompt is somewhere offscreen for me.

I shut down the game with Ctrl-C, so I'm uncertain whether it would have closed on its own.

I don't know if this is actually a problem with the launcher or maybe with the game itself. I haven't had the time to do any serious troubleshooting.

SausageJavelins
07-17-2017, 12:43 PM
I am experiencing the same problem. Black screen upon starting the game from terminal with the same error output.

The log file contains some interesting errors.

(EDIT)
Sent in the log file, hopefully it is a quick and easy fix.

Tagamogi
07-17-2017, 07:42 PM
For me, the problem was simply that the login screen will not display correctly in full screen mode. I renamed my preferences file ( ~/.config/unity3d/Elder Game/Project Gorgon/GorgonConfig.txt ) to something else, PG created a new preferences file for me when I launched and it defaulted to windowed mode which shows the login screen fine for me. I'm still seeing the same error message about "Player data archive not found" but it appears to be harmless.

Once inside the game, I was able to switch to full screen mode and it worked. Interestingly enough, when I chose "Logout" in the game, it displayed the login screen fine full screen, but when I exited the game completely and restarted it went back to my previous display problem.

NeverTooOld
07-18-2017, 03:12 AM
Confirming that renaming ~/.config/unity3d/Elder Game/Project Gorgon/GorgonConfig.txt allowed the login screen to render correctly and I could reset to full screen once logged in.

I have not put all windows back where I had them and have missed a couple of options. A compare of the renamed file and the newly saved preferences shows that the significant difference is the following text is absent in the newly created file:

i Tip_KickStarter2015_1 0 1

However, I cannot duplicate the return of the issue from Quit Game. That is, I exited the game with Quit Game and was able to login again without issue.

NeverTooOld
07-18-2017, 03:20 AM
As an exercise in expected masochism, I swapped the new ~/.config/unity3d/Elder Game/Project Gorgon/GorgonConfig.txt with the backed up file ie. restored the previously broken situation.

I expected a black screen. Instead, the login screen rendered correctly and allowed me to login.

Tagamogi
07-18-2017, 07:38 PM
Ok, this makes no sense whatsoever. Today, before logging in, I tried the following:

- Moved my old config file back as the preference file and changed the single line "PrefsFullScreen 0 1" to "PrefsFullScreen 0 0". That displayed the login screen fine in windowed mode.

- I then quit the game and edited the line back to say "PrefsFullScreen 0 1". And that displayed the login screen fine in fullscreen mode.

I have no idea why that would work but I guess I'm just going to go play...

Edit:
I just repeated this process on my second computer. On that computer, I confirmed first that I still got the broken login screen when I tried to log in initially today. The only difference between my initial non-working pref file and the current pref file is the last login time.

Hood
10-30-2017, 11:13 AM
shardragon This week Citan will upload the new ingame GUI for use with the windows launcher. Is it possible to update the launcher to make this a feature we can use as well? I believe it is the most recent blog post that says you will have to choose to use the new GUI in its testing phase in order to enable it. It will be an option to choose from the launcher.

https://forum.projectgorgon.com/entry.php?27-Dev-Blog-Oct-18-2017-The-New-UI-Is-Coming!

Hood
11-01-2017, 10:37 AM
Yes, no problem shar! Original post info updated and thanks for yours and Citan 's help!

Hood
11-01-2017, 12:25 PM
Here's my error with the new pglauncher file:

Exception in thread Thread-1:
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py", line 292, in ssl_wrap_socket
context.load_verify_locations(ca_certs, ca_cert_dir)
NotADirectoryError: [Errno 20] Not a directory

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 376, in send
timeout=timeout
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 560, in urlopen
body=body, headers=headers)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 346, in _make_request
self._validate_conn(conn)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 787, in _validate_conn
conn.connect()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connection.py", line 252, in connect
ssl_version=resolved_ssl_version)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py", line 294, in ssl_wrap_socket
raise SSLError(e)
requests.packages.urllib3.exceptions.SSLError: [Errno 20] Not a directory

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/lib/python3.5/threading.py", line 914, in _bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File "/usr/lib/python3.5/threading.py", line 862, in run
self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
File "/home/mike/Desktop/pglauncher/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 459, in patch
version_latest = self.fetch_patcher_version()
File "/home/mike/Desktop/pglauncher/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 365, in fetch_patcher_version
result = self._fetch_with_progress(self.URL_PATCHER_VERSION , message="pglauncher version")
File "/home/mike/Desktop/pglauncher/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 295, in _fetch_with_progress
response = self.session.get(url, stream=True)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 480, in get
return self.request('GET', url, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 468, in request
resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 576, in send
r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 447, in send
raise SSLError(e, request=request)
requests.exceptions.SSLError: [Errno 20] Not a directory

Hood
11-02-2017, 09:35 AM
This fixed my issue! Thanks shar

xKeiro
11-15-2017, 08:44 PM
Submitted the game to Lutris and it's got accepted: https://lutris.net/games/project-gorgon/ (not sure why it doesn't show up in the search, maybe it takes some time) So if somebody would prefer to manage his game from the Lutris launcher, feel free to do so ^^

INXS
12-03-2017, 06:16 PM
downloaded the game this morning and played for a few hours, now i'm trying to log in keeps telling me failure to download and can't play, also when i click on the latest version i get an error.

Hood
12-04-2017, 03:47 AM
downloaded the game this morning and played for a few hours, now i'm trying to log in keeps telling me failure to download and can't play, also when i click on the latest version i get an error.

try this new launcher :)
https://forum.projectgorgon.com/showthread.php?927-Project-Gorgon-Experimental-Linux-Launcher

Tagamogi
12-04-2017, 06:32 PM

My pglauncher is working fine at the moment. Is yours still having problems? And if so, how far does it get? Is it the pglauncher self-update that's hanging, or does it get to the actual PG files?

INXS
12-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Tagamogi Using the new linux launcher. The game downloaded i get the PG window i click on play the window closes and nothing happens, verifing/safe mode give same result. Shardragon page to get latest launcher seems broken, link not working for me.

Tagamogi
12-04-2017, 08:13 PM
I think I see ... Clicking the download link at the very beginning of this thread to get shardragon's launcher ( https://ipfs.io/ipns/QmZ86ow1byeyhNRJEatWxGPJKcnQKG7s51MtbHdxxUddTH/Software/Python/pglauncher/pglauncher ) gives me a "waiting message" for a very long time, but it does eventually download the pglauncher file for me.

If that never downloads anything for you, I think your easiest solution is to wait until the new Linux launcher gets officially fixed. I don't think it should take too long - it looks like it's just the one file that's off.

If you want to play on Linux now, and want to get a bit more complicated, you can try this:
- check whether you have a .local/games/project-gorgon/LinuxPlayer directory under your home directory. That's where shardragon's launcher should have copied its files when you played yesterday
- If that directory exists, copy the ProjectGorgon file in it
- Go to the new launcher's directory, which should be .local/share/ProjectGorgon/HeadlessLinuxPlayer under your home directory, unless you changed the directory when installing it.
- Replace the ProjectGorgon file in the new launcher directory with the ProjectGorgon file from shardragon's launcher
- Run the new launcher again. It should now start the game when you click on Play.

Hood
12-16-2017, 05:51 AM
Current Error I'm receiving:

Exception in thread Thread-1:
File "/usr/lib/python3.5/threading.py", line 914, in _bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File "/usr/lib/python3.5/threading.py", line 862, in run
self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
File "/home/user/Desktop/pglauncher/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 460, in patch
version_latest = self.fetch_patcher_version()
File "/home/user/Desktop/pglauncher/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 366, in fetch_patcher_version
result = self._fetch_with_progress(self.URL_PATCHER_VERSION , message="pglauncher version")
File "/home/user/Desktop/pglauncher/pglauncher/patcher.py", line 310, in _fetch_with_progress
raise RequestStatusError(url, response.status_code)
pglauncher.patcher.RequestStatusError: Failed to download file "https://ipfs.io/ipns/QmZ86ow1byeyhNRJEatWxGPJKcnQKG7s51MtbHdxxUddTH/Software/Python/pglauncher/version.txt": Server returned status 404

Tagamogi
12-16-2017, 08:47 AM
Current Error I'm receiving:

pglauncher.patcher.RequestStatusError: Failed to download file "https://ipfs.io/ipns/QmZ86ow1byeyhNRJEatWxGPJKcnQKG7s51MtbHdxxUddTH/Software/Python/pglauncher/version.txt": Server returned status 404

This error seems to be caused by the pglauncher self-update. For me, that .io server sometimes works and sometimes doesn't (currently it doesn't), so maybe just waiting will help.

Both the modified headless launcher and an older version of the non-self-updating pglauncher currently work fine for me.

For the headless launcher, you can copy the ProjectGorgon executable from shardragon's launcher into the headless directory after it's done patching. That file hasn't changed since at least August 16, so it doesn't need to be updated. Try this at your own risk, of course.

For a non-self-updating version of pglauncher, shardragon wrote earlier in this thread:

Actually it's just a runnable ZIP-file, no black magic involved ;)
So if want to use the self-updating launcher like the previous versions you can rename and extract that file and run the `project-gorgon` file within OR (simpler) just download the GIT snapshots from the GitLab page (https://gitlab.com/alexander255/project-gorgon-launcher)

I've tried that, and while I can get everything downloaded and unzipped ok, actually running project-gorgon from either unzipped version gives me the error:

User interface "cli" not available
usage: project-gorgon [-h] [--ui UI] [--fileversion GAME_VERSION]
[--game-path GAME_PATH]
project-gorgon: error: No suitable user interface found

If you read project_gorgon to find out what's being called, that error is actually coming from pglauncher/main.py, specifically:

for ui_name in args.ui:
try:
ui = importlib.import_module("pglauncher.ui.{}.main".format(ui_name)).UI()
break
except ImportError as e:
print("User interface \"{}\" not available".format(ui_name))
if not ui:
parser.error("No suitable user interface found")

To me, it looks like some kind of Python library import error, likely caused by not having the correct import path set, but I'm not precisely literate in Python, so that's as far as I got, sorry. :( I'm just putting it up here on the forums in case someone can do more with it. Or maybe the error only exists on my machine.

On my computer, I actually have a different, older version of shardragon's launcher where the project-gorgon script still works fine for me without the above error. My version is project-gorgon-launcher-master-61a148f4eb33c823356bc08f63f520e7d3cd342a . There may be a way to download that version from the GIT page, but I'm also not GIT-literate enough.