PDA

View Full Version : Image Advice, please

ShieldBreaker
01-21-2018, 12:41 PM
Okay I need advice. Below is a really early work in progress of an image I'm working on.
https://imgur.com/gLri5xy

I'd like to have something done up before the Steam Early Access of PG, and I kind of think this image is coming along. However, does it work, will it be understandable by newcomers, will it irk the powers that be, can I and should I add a logo, is it completely the wrong path and I should abandon it quickly and get to work on something else. Or is it nice for long time players, but I need a completely different image for the newcomers.

All other images are on hold till I lock down my Early Access day image(s). I want it to be a really good image, befitting the magnitude of the occasion. What should I do?

Tagamogi
01-21-2018, 08:29 PM
Not much in the way of advice here but I think it's an awesome picture. I'm not really sure what would work well for newcomers - for me, a big part of the reason I like your pictures so much is that they are clever inside views of the game. Since newcomers haven't played the game yet... well, hopefully the red carpet and unknown possibilities will excite them.

There is one thing I can't help noticing. In a good way, since I've been giggling madly for the last few minutes: So, we have Citan's eye. It's kind of big. It seems likely the eye is attached to something equally big. So, if the eye is appearing in the window, there should be a lot of space underneath that window to accommodate the rest. So - when the enterprising newbie walks through that door - they may end up falling straight into a big pit. Or, maybe, straight into someone's mouth? I'm sure it will be good dying xp either way. :D

I definitely love the picture - I hope everyone else will too!

ShieldBreaker
01-21-2018, 09:38 PM
Thanks for looking. :) I did think about having the Dragon eye further and higher, more overwatching the door from the side. This image would have been good for when the new forum was opened, it would have been a good fit for that. I thought about steam themed images, steampunk, pipes, valves more of a nod to the whole steam thing, but decided that be too confusing. Had an idea about the Ruby Wall, well several actually given that we don't know what the Ruby Wall looks like exactly. Maybe I should throw a rough version of that up for consideration. The Ruby Wall is central to the game, so maybe better.

I really don't know what to do :|

Tagamogi
01-22-2018, 09:37 AM
Thanks for looking. :) I did think about having the Dragon eye further and higher, more overwatching the door from the side. This image would have been good for when the new forum was opened, it would have been a good fit for that. I thought about steam themed images, steampunk, pipes, valves more of a nod to the whole steam thing, but decided that be too confusing. Had an idea about the Ruby Wall, well several actually given that we don't know what the Ruby Wall looks like exactly. Maybe I should throw a rough version of that up for consideration. The Ruby Wall is central to the game, so maybe better.

I really don't know what to do :|

I rather like the current location of the eye - I think it would be hard to fit into the picture otherwise. And I love imagining the multiple death options. It's possible I'm weird.

At the time the new forum opened, we didn't have all the admin avatars yet. I think it took Citan months to get his? So, there really wasn't a good opportunity for this picture until now. I'd say just go with the current picture - it's plenty of fun.

I can't really think of a way to incorporate the Steam stuff either, but then I'm not Steam person anyway. Also - new players will probably play the game first and worry about the forums much later, so I think it's primarily existing forum users that will see the picture initially. And I say I like it!

(Of course, I'd also like to see a ruby wall picture. And Khaylara would probably like to see Hector scaling the wall and making rude gestures at the demons behind it. So, when in doubt, just put up 5 different pictures? ;) )

ShieldBreaker
01-22-2018, 06:08 PM
https://imgur.com/uYOAtYS

This is one of my Ruby Wall Concepts. Feedback appreciated.

Crissa
01-22-2018, 08:56 PM
ShieldBreaker Re rubywall uYOAtYS
Interesting, although there doesn't seem to be anything in the foreground to give a sense of scale...?

ShieldBreaker
01-23-2018, 05:15 PM
At the Ruby Wall Variant 1
https://imgur.com/EhmQxMV

At the Ruby Wall Variant 2
https://imgur.com/tfcPyri

Var 1, red eyes, teeth removed
Var 2, demon all shadow, staff added in front of wall

still got time to make changes. If I can't get a rough version of my last concept done up in the next day or two I think I'm stuck with try to finish up Red Carpet and current Ruby Wall.

Crissa
01-24-2018, 09:35 PM
I liked the teeth.

Tagamogi
01-25-2018, 11:33 AM
I liked the brighter eyes in the first picture and the staff in the second. I always imagined the rubywall as more purplish, but that's based on the icon for the rubywall crystal which may change at some point...

For what it's worth, I had my non-PG playing husband look at the red carpet picture to get a "new player" impression, and his comment was basically "it looks pretty nice." He liked the big eye, but wasn't really sure what any of it was about. Which makes sense since he's never played PG or visited the forums. :) I think the red carpet picture is great for anyone who's spent some time reading the forums. And since that's where your picture is, it should be fine. I'm not sure what would really resonate with brand-new players otherwise - some Anagoge theme involving lighthouses and brain bugs?

ShieldBreaker
03-18-2018, 03:52 AM
Okay I've started loading art into Steam, I got it mostly set to Friends Only. I got most of it still to upload. Most of it is stuff you already seen here. Trying to figure out what is possible and how Steam works in regards to art work. I'll slowly start making them public once I work out how best to group and order them and things like that.
Shoot me a Steam friend request if you want to take a look.

ShieldBreaker
03-20-2019, 12:15 PM
Okay so figure it is time to load up so more stuff to Project: Gorgon - Steam Community Hub Artwork

https://i.imgur.com/CJjSPhk.png updated this because 6 separate images on Steam would be difficult for people to find it in the right order. However, you have to click on it and zoom on steam to be able to read it. And don't know how it will look on the community pages. Thinking I maybe want to give one of the images below a week on Steam first before put this one up. If after I put this up later on Steam and if it is too difficult or messy looking on the community pages, if you could drop by this thread and let me know that would be great, thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/N77kdeF.png

https://i.imgur.com/oHVCEb9.png

I was trying to fix up the comic at the top of this post, and I did these by accident. I kind of like them. Was hoping to get some feedback, of which people like better, and if there is a big outcry to not put them up, I'll not put them on steam at all.

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated, thanks.

Tagamogi
03-25-2019, 10:53 AM
For the first picture, I wonder if you could just post both the combined picture and the separate images? I like how the combined pic looks but I find the text in the first 4 panels to be too small to read comfortably, even on a larger monitor. (Yes, there's zooming in, but that takes effort...) So, if you post both, people can decide what they want to look at themselves. I don't know what kind of random order Steam may impose on the picture though - I'm mostly trying to stay far away from anything Steam-related, sorry. Maybe add a label like "1 of 6" as part of each individual picture, so that people will at least know what they are looking at and that there's more?

For the second, I like both of the funky green goblin pictures, with the top one my favorite.

ShieldBreaker
03-25-2019, 11:18 AM
Tagamogi thanks for the feedback. Added a link back to the original version of Comic in the description on Steam, which is kind of like giving people a choice of how to view. I think I'll leave the goblin picture for a while yet, might get some more feedback.

srand
03-26-2019, 10:23 AM
I absolutely adore the style of the lower image. I think the style of the upper image works better for this comic, but I would love to see more in the lower style as well.

ShieldBreaker
07-23-2020, 04:17 PM
Wanted to get some feedback on the latest Underwater Sunvale image(top one outside the spoiler tag). Would it be a good one to put up on Steam as well? Let me know below, thanks.

Hope to have something done fox related in the not too distant future.